Author Topic: Backing selfbows with linen (flax)  (Read 444 times)

Online Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
Backing selfbows with linen (flax)
« on: December 11, 2014, 02:46:00 PM »
Who has backed selfbows with linen?  

Any tips for adhesion?  

What is your source for linen?

Outcomes?

Thank you -

Kris

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Backing selfbows with linen (flax)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 03:30:00 PM »
I bought some linen cloth from Joan Fabrics years ago. I backed one bow with it. Forget which one or what happened to it.
Jawge

Online Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 05:16:00 PM »
I'm going off of Tim Baker' (TBB series) strong endorsement of it as a backing material; he makes his strings from linen as well.

It is so strong it can be the equivalent of "putting wood back on your bow".  The example he gives on page 135 of TBB IV is "a 30# bow can become a 60# bow with approx. 1/16" thickness of combed flax.  Superior to sinew he states in the previous paragraph!

I am finishing a self elm bow, it is long (70" - 72") and safe but I intentionally violated some growth rings on the back it to flatten it, spreading out the tension forces.  This would be a good candidate to experiment on for linen backing I think.

I'll add some pics of this crude bow and its compromised back for fun & interest.

Lets hear your experience?

Kris

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 07:44:00 PM »
Linen cloth and raw strands of flax are two different critters.  Linen cloth will help keep splinters from rising, as does burlap, silk, etc.  It does not improve bow draw weight or cast.  

Raw combed flax a.k.a Flax Strick is combed long fibers.  Available online from The Woolery and similar weaving suppliers.  You pre-wet the "hank" with water, wring it out, then soak it in slightly thinned TBII, TBIII, or Hide glue and applied in the same manner as sinew.  Flax is much less smelly to work with than sinew but works nearly as well.  Don't use it on strongly reflexed bows though as flax does not stretch as well as sinew.
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline Robyn Hode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 07:44:00 PM »
I have backed a couple of bows with 100% linen. I bought the linen at one of the fabric stores on sale. I used Titebond 3 to glue it to the back of the bows. It worked OK but I prefer 100% silk.
'Nothing's forgotten... nothing's ever forgotten' - Robin of Sherwood

Online Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 09:43:00 PM »
Thanks Ken and Bill...good info.

Kris

Online Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 11:37:00 AM »
Anyone else?  

I have combed linen ordered from the Woolery, thank you Ken for that excellent lead.  

Thanks in advance for any input   :)  

Kris

Offline Golden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 08:35:00 AM »
I back with linen a lot. I don't have any bad to say about it other then it's not pretty lol. I use tite bond 2 or 3 glue. I do a layer let it get tacky then another layer, put on the linen then another of glue. It takes stain pretty well in thin coats and have painted it as well.   . here is one of my red oaks backed with linen
Golden

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©