Author Topic: trying a glass R/D. questions  (Read 333 times)

Offline joe nichols

• Trad Bowhunter
trying a glass R/D. questions
« on: December 14, 2014, 09:50:00 AM »
I would like to try a glass bow.  So far, I'm looking at .05 glass back and belly from 3R, .03 lams from wood gallery.  Now, I'm trying to figure out the core lams.  I was looking at different options from 3r and saw the 1.96 stabil core.  I'm looking for 50# to 60# at 64".  Any suggestions on where to go from here

Offline joe nichols

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: trying a glass R/D. questions
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 09:54:00 AM »
Oops, .196 stabil core

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 11:05:00 AM »
I don't know about stabil core, since I never used it, but if I wanted a d/r bow with the specs you mentioned I would go with a total stack of about 0.430.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 06:19:00 PM »
Joe................

These are the numbers I use.

For a mild R/D bow 64" NtN the total stack (using .040 glass) would be .375 for a 50# and .406 for a 60# bow, measured at the fades. For a pronounced R/D 64" .355 for 50# and .385 for a 60# bow.

On your form you might not get the same results.

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 07:25:00 PM »
If you check Binghams chart for a 64" D/R, it takes .376 for a 50@28 in a 64"

Mine takes .365 for same bow, not sure what length their riser is, and they use .002 total taper, I use .003 total taper with an 18" riser.

The amount of D and R will make difference too as well as how pronounced the curve on limb.

Every form will take a bit different recipe, be sure to keep a journal. I didn't for a long time, now I have a book to write it down in so I know what I did for sure.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline joe nichols

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 03:57:00 PM »
I have been looking at Binghams, 3R and wood gallery295.  Man, a lot of choices.  I looked at the first time kit from Binghams but I'm not sure what type of form I'm going to use.  I have seen a lot of successful builds using the innertube method and I am thinking of going that direction.  
I think I want to use maple for the core with a nice visible wood under clear glass.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 04:05:00 PM »
The innertubes work, tho not my preferred method.

I've only done a couple that way, but have gleaned a bit from others...

Use a pressure strip on top of bow

Put something in center of pressure strip under bands (one guy used 10-3 wire which sounded like it would be great!)due to the bands pulling down on edge. It tends to pinch the edges down and let the center have less pressure....

Put extra bands on the tighter curves like the riser ramps and fades.

Have fun!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline joe nichols

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 04:06:00 PM »
I have been looking at Binghams, 3R and wood gallery295.  Man, a lot of choices.  I looked at the first time kit from Binghams but I'm not sure what type of form I'm going to use.  I have seen a lot of successful builds using the innertube method and I am thinking of going that direction.  
I think I want to use maple for the core with a nice visible wood under clear glass.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©