Author Topic: Pyramid bow questions  (Read 371 times)

Offline Kaspar825

• Trad Bowhunter
Pyramid bow questions
« on: December 22, 2014, 12:33:00 PM »
Hey everyone, I want to start my first pyramid bow following the "so you wanna make a bow" guide but I have two questions.

The first is does anyone have the templates for the fades? I messaged 4est trekker but it looks like he only comes on once in a while and if like to get started.

The next is does anyone have dimensions for a pyramid bow I can make out of a 1x3x8? I accidentally got a 1x3 instead of 1x4. Looking to make it about 40-45# at 28.

Thanks a lot guys. I'll try to keep you updated when I start.
Kaspar

Online Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pyramid bow questions
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 01:17:00 PM »
If you don't own the Traditional Bowyer's Bible series I thru IV, I think you'd find a lot of good info here Re: subj.  

Not so sure you have to follow a template for the fades but being your first bow I suppose this could help.  I would suggest developing your own feel for this sort of thing thru experience and based on the the above writings.  Tim Baker in particular, has outstanding information re: pyramid bows.  Also reference Chapter 4 "The Mass Principle" by Steve Gardner in TBB IV.

It is an art as much as a science, so don't be afraid to make mistakes...you will be building many bows if this is your thing, so have at'er!  

For me it's all about the learning (the process) the desired product will only come with experience and knowledge.

Best of Luck!  As Tim Baker says, "make some shavings and break some wood" (or something to that affect)   :)  

Kris

Offline Kaspar825

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 03:02:00 PM »
Thanks for the reply! I read part of the first one but had to turn it back in to the library. I should have asked for them for Christmas but it's too late now.  

On my last bow I just put a 45 degree angle on my riser and blended it a bit. It worked but doesn't look the best.

I ended up screwing the tiller up on that one though so I'm trying a pyramid bow this time.

Thanks for your help,
Kaspar

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 03:28:00 PM »
A lot depends on the wood you are using. A basic design, say for hickory or red oak, would be for a 68" bow that is 2" wide. Draw a line down the center from tip to tip and mark the middle of the stave. Make a mark 2" on either side of that middle mark, this is your handle. Now make a mark 2" out from the handle on both sides. That will be your fades. At the limb tips mark 1/4" on either side of the center line(for 1/2" tips) and draw a line on either side of each limb from the fades to the tips.This will give you a bow with a pyramidal profile.
 If you are using a board the thickness will be 3/4". At the end of the fades mark the limb thickness at 1/2" from the fads to the tips and remove the waste.Draw a line from the end of the fade to the handle. This will be the fade taper that you are looking for.
 For a first bow I suggest a simple flat bow. There are a few sites that will give you a step by step instructions like George Tsoukalas' or PoorBoys. Either will get you started down the right road to building your first bow.
 Is there a reason you want to start with a pyramid design?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Kaspar825

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 03:35:00 PM »
I forgot to put the wood I'm using in my last thread! I'm using read oak. I'm just trying to find the best bow style to start with. When I first started I read a mollegabet is pretty easy and when I was getting the tiller checked I had a few people say that that can be a harder bow to make. I will try whatever is recommended.

Kaspar

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 05:37:00 PM »
Pat should get you started.
The reason a pyramid bow is,said to be easier is the shape from the sides brings it closer to tiller. Still will need tiller work though.
I have a friend that wants one. So hope yours goes well and you can post pictures.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Kaspar825

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 06:23:00 PM »
Ok I'm just going to go for it using those dimensions.

Thanks everyone!
Kaspar

Offline bsv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 06:31:00 PM »
take a look at poor folk bows,Sam has a great build a-long..
R/D's soon to come

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 03:36:00 PM »
Sorry for the delay, sir. PM replied to.  :)
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©