Author Topic: hickory backing  (Read 452 times)

Offline cobia

• Trad Bowhunter
hickory backing
« on: December 25, 2014, 04:35:00 PM »
I am wanting to make a hickory backed bow.  I am not sure how the grain on the hickory should be.  I understand on a self bow to follow one growth ring, but on backing strip from a board I don't see that being very easy.  I can't find any pictures of the grain on a backing strip.  Can someone please describe the process of making a strip. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: hickory backing
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 04:40:00 PM »
I've made lots of hickory backed bows and none of the backing strips were perfect and many had violations.
 Ideally you want the end grain to look either like this //// or like this IIIII, much the same as with a hickory board bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 06:47:00 PM »
Use the grain pattern Pat shows, make the backing 1/8th thick and wide enough and long enough to cover your bow.

Offline cobia

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 09:02:00 PM »
Thank you Pat and Roy I appreciate the help

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 09:32:00 PM »
Almost all of the boards I find are rift sawn with some degree of runoff or runup.  Ideally you want a board that has straight grain its entire length on the face and edge, but I've yet to find one like that.  Volume 2 of The Bowyer's Bible has a "Bows From Boards" chapter that gives you an idea of how much grain violation is acceptable for the draw weight of your bow and I use that as a kind of rule of thumb for my backing strips.  Here are three hickory backed osage bows I've made in the 45# range.  Like Pat said, hickory is strong enough to handle some violation and I make mine 1/8" thick same as Roy.
It is important to sand the edges nice and round.  That will help to keep it from raising a splinter if you have runoff along an edge.

It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline Snome

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 11:40:00 PM »
Those look beautiful...how do you get the hickory down to 1/8" strips? Rip it down on a table saw?

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 01:27:00 AM »
Thanks Snome.  Yup, ripped it on a table saw.
-Tim Baker

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 03:06:00 AM »
Flat sawn, bias or quarter sawn makes no difference.Straight grain is what you are looking for. Do not buy a hickory board unless the grain is very straight. Sure you can get away with a little violation because of hickorys interlocking grain BUT it will break just like any other wood if the grain is cut through too much.
 I prefer my backing to be 3/16 to a 1/4 thick. Thicker backings hold reflex better.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 08:51:00 AM »
When ripping backing strips I cut them at 3/16". after sanding both sides smooth the strips usually come out at about 1/8" or slightly less.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 08:56:00 AM »
Flat sawn is the last cut I would ever use as a backing. Unless it had one complete layer of growth ring which would be tough to do. I don't see how you get away with that Mike.

Offline cobia

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 12:06:00 PM »
Your bows look great.  thanks for the pictures and advice

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2014, 03:08:00 PM »
Thanks cobia and good luck on your bow!
I love hickory backing, especially with osage for the belly wood.  Makes it pretty easy to put 3" of reflex in at glue up, or if you add a center lam of say elm, maple, walnut, etc., you can form it into a sweet shooting R/D tri-lam like Roy has been known to do.
I agree that you want the straightest grained board you can find.  Last summer I bought two nice hickory staves.  I'm just finishing a selfbow from one, but I saved the nicer, straighter one to cut into quarter sawn backing strips.
-Tim Baker

Offline cobia

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2014, 03:27:00 PM »
I was thinking about a tri-lam.  I have some nice walnut and cherry that i think would work well.  I also have some hickory staves cut back in the 90's in the barn.  I might cut my backings from them.  thanks for all the suggestions.  I am in the process of cleaning up the barn to get back to it.

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2014, 05:24:00 PM »
I've used walnut and cherry for core lams and I like them both.  When you're ready to get started, check out Roy's posts that show how he builds his tri-lams.  He makes some beauties.
-Tim Baker

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2014, 01:35:00 PM »
I'd use both cherry and black walnut for cores but not for belly lams. Osage, ipe, or other compression strong woods are more appropriate for belly lams.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline cobia

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2014, 01:42:00 PM »
Would you have any other belly lamination suggestions?  I have red elm, ash and black locust on hand now.  I would have to order osage or Ipe

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2014, 04:55:00 PM »
Maybe hickory, but I think osage or Ipe would still be your best bet.  I'd hate to do the whole glue up and get it tillered only to have the belly fret because it didn't have the compression strength needed.

Come to think of it, I have done that, and I don't ever want to do it again.   :eek:
-Tim Baker

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2014, 09:42:00 PM »
Mikkek, how about some pictures of your bows? I wanna see the flat sawn backing close up.

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2014, 08:53:00 AM »
Back in what I now call the good old days I experimented with 1/16th Pignut Hickory backing over some of the white woods that are compression handicapped.  It worked nicely over Ash, Cherry, Eastern Red Cedar, Hickory and several species of Oak.  I think the 1/16" put less pressure to compress onto the belly.  

I certainly had my share of failures but as far as I could tell every failure was due to the builder, not the wood.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©