Author Topic: How do you get ideas out of your head and on a template?  (Read 384 times)

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
How do you get ideas out of your head and on a template?
« on: December 28, 2014, 03:47:00 PM »
Hey guys, me again. I've been posting a few questions lately about my bow design, what makes a bow forgiving... Thanks to all you input by the way, especially Kenny thanks for the PM's
I've began trying to design another bow, I have limited money so don't wanna start a build before I love a design. I know they won't all be winners but....
Just wondering if you have a design in your head, and arnt good at free hand drawing, how do you go from your head to cutting out your pattern for your form?
I have an idea but just can't seem to make my drawings like the vision I have...
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you get ideas out of your head and on a template?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 04:14:00 PM »
Marking your paper or template out with small squares (graph paper) is helpful. Half inch squares should be small enough.  One can blend fiberglass or some other flexible material into the shape wanted.  You cans place the material between nails to hold in place until you get the shape traced.

Offline Pago

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 04:51:00 PM »
The best made plan won't get it made the way you planned.

Online Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 05:17:00 PM »
Get a piece of white masonite and cut a piece from it approximately the size of your press. Lay it on your workbench and stand a full length fiberglass lam on its side(.030 core tuff is very flexible, yet has enough 'spine' to effect bends without flat spots) and place objects, heavy enough they won't slide around, at whatever location necessary to form the side profile that appeals to you. You can use deflex and reflex measurements to guide you if you have some in mind, or just wing it.

To hold the glass in place I've used cans of beans, coffee cans full of nails, chunks of metal, whatever is laying around.

If you have an idea of how much reflex, deflex or whatever you want, you can take measurements up from the bottom of the masonite to locate them... and even if you wing it, such measurements can be taken on each side as you progress to keep them even.

When you get a profile you're happy with, carefully trace it, cut it out, and transfer the profile to the press and cut it out too.

If you use a pencil or dry erase marker on the masonite, you can erase it and redo it until you're happy with it... but really, you can just keep moving the weights around until you get it the way you want... then trace it.

Try it, the possibilities are many, and it puts your ideas out in front of you where you can see them and make adjustments as many times as needed.

I keep all my masonite patterns as a sort of 'catalog' in case I ever need to make a new press, or someone wants to copy it, etc.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 06:55:00 PM »
I use CadStd.  It's free and allows printing out designs to full size.  Handy for form profiles as well as limb and riser shapes.

http://www.cadstd.com/
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©