Author Topic: Had a bow building party yesterday  (Read 1609 times)

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Had a bow building party yesterday
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2014, 10:57:00 PM »
thats the stuff of memories- good job gettinf more folk into the fold Roy    :thumbsup:  
 wish there were more builders/shooters around here-
   can get a little "trad lonely" here   :(

Offline ColonelSandersLite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2014, 02:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by wood carver 2:
He's right about the gloves. Potentially very dangerous. I use a block of wood to put pressure on the lams while using the sander.
A guy I worked with nearly got pulled into a 16 inch jointer because he was wearing a loose sweatshirt.
Dave.
A block of wood is all it takes!  ;) .

I may be new to bow making, but I'm not new to shops.  I used to make heavy machinery for a living.  Most of that time, I was the guy that made the comparatively small parts from large stock.  I have run saws, lathes, drill presses, forklifts, press brakes, a few different types of grinders, and even a laser.  All of this was in an industrial capacity for large scale production, so I'm not talking about a few hours here and there.  I'm talking about pulling some serious serious time on these machines in both the heat of summer and the cold of winter.

That being said, I never personally witnessed a serious accident because we where careful about that stuff (a couple close calls though).  I do know two second hand stories from reliable sources about gloves specifically directly leading to injury though.

One of the old hands at the factory told me about a guy that worked there well before my time.  The guy was running a drill press while wearing gloves because he didn't want to get cut by sharp steel shavings (it happens).  One day, he got got his gloved hand too close to the bit and got grabbed.  Threw him into the wall behind the drill press and he was lucky in that the glove tore out there before it went any further.  Even being lucky, the forces involved broke his arm, dislocated his shoulder, and caused severe damage to the tendons and such in his elbow and shoulder.  He had to permanently stop doing the work because he no longer had very much function in his arm, even after several surgeries.

The second came from one of the cnc machinists and was something he saw when he was going to trade school.  One of his classmates was running a lathe with gloves on because he was too green and didn't know any better.  The lathe caught his glove, yanked him off his feet threw him up over and behind the lathe just like something you would see in an old werner brothers cartoon.  In this case though, the glove did not give before this students wrist did.  It literally tore his hand off of his arm.

All that being said, I really don't have a problem with alcohol in a home shop.  The risks there are quite obvious, even to the untrained person, and if they are willing to take those risks that's their call.  I wouldn't mix the heavy machinery with alcohol, but once the heavy machinery portion of a build is done...  Well, there's still risk there, but it's nowhere near as severe.

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2014, 03:26:00 AM »
I agree entirely. Gloves are a bad idea. I just couldn't work in them anyway.

Online Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2014, 05:45:00 AM »
I was actually gonna say something about the gloves, but Mr. Sanders beat me to it and covered it very well. Working in a steel mill with BIG machinery... you learn quick. No gloves, loose clothing, watches, rings, sleeves rolled up, etc.

There's a machinist sitting beside me right now with fingers crooked and fused in place as a good reason why... and he was lucky.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2014, 06:03:00 AM »
Ok, I understand about the gloves. Now could the sermon's please stop? Or better yet, could a moderator remove this thread?

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2014, 10:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by KellyG:
Roy just moved to the top of my thumpin list. I did not get an invite either!    :mad:    

But it looks like a great time.
Well Kelly, I don't think anybody gets invited to Roy's shop. I think people kind of invite themselves to Roy's shop. Or at least ask him for help to the point where he just tells you to come to him as he don't like goin nowhere. I had good luck just showing up on his doorstep with a sixpack one afternoon. Never got an invite, just told him I was coming. All I got was, "You've got my address. Bring beer."
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2014, 10:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:
Ok, I understand about the gloves. Now could the sermon's please stop? Or better yet, could a moderator remove this thread?
I agree, the point's been made. But I think it was made well and it would be a shame to remove the post with some good information in it. If we're gonna dig any more on Royberta in this post, we should be talking about his taste in beer-flavored seltzer water.

While I'm sorry to hear about the guys who got hurt, I was salivating over the thought of a 16" jointer or a drill press with enough umph to throw a guy into a wall. Heck, I'm just jealous of Roy's sanders.

:goldtooth:
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2014, 10:54:00 AM »
yuppers, pop a guy like a ripe er...canteloupe?   :D
 i agree  Dave- keep the thread up!   :thumbsup:  i love pics of the ol' fellas shop an all the goings on!!- makes me envious!

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2014, 11:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by canopyboy:
"You've got my address. Bring beer."
Hope it wasn't Coors lite.  Doesn't qualify  ;) .

Offline Trapper Rob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2014, 01:10:00 PM »
Looks like you guys had some fun Roy.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2014, 10:13:00 PM »
Jerry's bow out of the form.

Cutting out the riser.

Gluing up the riser.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2014, 10:15:00 PM »

Kenny gluing up his bow.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2014, 10:19:00 PM »
No gloves were used in the sanding of the riser, so he tore some skin off the finger tips.. Gloves would have prevented that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on_VGcyE9Qk&feature=youtu.be

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2014, 11:33:00 PM »
So would using a piece of scrap wood to apply pressure.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2014, 04:16:00 AM »
He is fine, didn't get a scratch..

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2014, 10:18:00 AM »
sheesh!!too bad you failed your osha inspection!!
looks like a great day anyhow!!!
Mike

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2014, 10:50:00 AM »
hooo-wee!! tough crowd mate!   :D  
great times- with or without gloves!

keep it coming ol'fella- love your builds.
what i wanna see is, if a newbie can build a great tri lam, then i wont think yer so smart then   :D    :D

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2014, 11:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:
No gloves were used in the sanding of the riser, so he tore some skin off the finger tips.. Gloves would have prevented that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on_VGcyE9Qk&feature=youtu.be  
You gotta love Roy!     :biglaugh:
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2014, 11:01:00 AM »
Hmm, I don't think he will teach them all the ropes, just to make sure he is still the top gun.   :bigsmyl:
Happy New Year Roy and all TradGangers, has been an great year here as always.   :campfire:

Offline cunruhshoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2014, 11:14:00 AM »
What you don't see in the picture is the key to a successful first tri-lam build...And that is the guy behind the camera....If I had Roy in my shop I could build a tri-lam too!  I wish I could have had some good hands on instruction for my first builds. But participating here with the whole gang has been the next best thing to...Kenny and Jerry's experience.
As Iron sharpens Iron so one person sharpens another...Prov. 27:17

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©