Author Topic: Band saw question  (Read 625 times)

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Band saw question
« on: December 29, 2014, 10:07:00 AM »
I know this has been gone over dozens of times. I've read a ton of post on the subject but I'm fixin to drop some coin on a good band saw and was considering either a jet or a grizzly 14". My old band saw is a cheap piece of crap. It was a present from my wife so I used it for the last year with less than desirable results. Cannot cut a square cut with it. Can follow a line on top but the blade angels off on the bottom of whatever your cutting. I've made adjustments till I'm ready to take a hammer to it! Will a good band saw solve this or is It operator error?
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Band saw question
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 10:53:00 AM »
Either of the saws you mentioned will serve you well. I would think even a cheap band saw could be adjusted to cut square with a good blade. I have a cheap 14" Ridgid band saw that with a little adjustment will cut perfect. My two biggest gripes with the ridgid are: first off it is underpowered and secondly the blade tentioner is built from pot metal and will break easily. Most all of the cheaper 14" saws use the same tentioner. After breaking two I built one from steel and have not had any issues since.

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 11:06:00 AM »
Ah heck, just buy the grizzly and get it over with..  :)

Offline cunruhshoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 12:11:00 PM »
I have the 14" Grizzly and love it...definitely worth the investment.
As Iron sharpens Iron so one person sharpens another...Prov. 27:17

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 01:47:00 PM »
I also have the grizzly, and i just scored a mobile base at the flea market for $25    :thumbsup:

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 01:59:00 PM »
Come on critter, go getter.. Ya know ya want too   :)  It's just one click away.. LOL  

http://www.grizzly.com/products/The-Ultimate-14-Bandsaw/G0555

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 02:32:00 PM »
Lol Roy. I've been lookin em over. The 555 ultimate is just a little more than the 555lx and the only difference I see is it has aluminum wheels instead of cast. Which makes it lighter. But it also had freight charges where the lx doesn't. Is it worth a little more for the aluminum wheels? When I said cheep before I meant Cheap. Like 89.00 cheap. I bought what I thought was a decent blade from Sears but it still drifts bad! So what blade? Is a carbide worth the money?

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 02:45:00 PM »
I was ripping a piece of tiger myrtle in half yesterday for a riser and the blade drifted on the bottom side but not the top. So in order to not waste the wood, instead of a 3 piece riser I'm gonna have to grind em down to even thickness and add 2 pieces of cocobolo instead of 1 and make a 4 piece laminated riser. Which should look good anyways!!  Waste not, want not!! I was wanting to do some radius cuts in my next riser and this saw ain't gonna "cut it" .

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 02:55:00 PM »
Buy the best band saw and only cry once..    :)    

You don't need carbide, plenty of other quality blades out there. Well maybe for glass, I dunno bout glass..

Are you sure your table is level side to side?

How's it look for level up and down the along the side of the blade? How does a small square line up with the table top and side of blade? And when did ya have your eyes checked last? LOL

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 06:18:00 PM »
Well Roy ole boy, I checked everything again for the umpteenth time. Managed to rip a piece of coco. Good thing I stayed way out side the line cause it weren't purtty!! I think my mind is made up!! Oh, had my eyes checked about 6 months ago!   :biglaugh:

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 06:49:00 PM »
You don't have the blade on upside down do ya? I'm serious there, if all is square, then it must be the blade. And you have the blocks tight on the blade?

Ah crap just buy the new saw...  :)

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 07:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:
Ah heck, just buy the grizzly and get it over with..   :)  
Roy's right.    :scared:   I had a 17 inch German built saw that I struggled with for years. Last spring I finally got rid of it and bought a 19 inch Grizzly. I put on a big ripping blade and split a damp 10 inch doug fir beam like soft butter. I put on a 1/4 inch blade and cut perfect curves in any wood I have. That 1/4 inch will also make good 1/8 inch veneers, but I'll be getting a dedicated veneer blade when I get serious about that.
Long story short, the best saw I've had the pleasure of using.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2014, 08:55:00 PM »
Yes sir, blocks are tight and blade is on right. Its a cheap 9" saw with a 1/3 hp motor. I'm pretty sure the blade is crap too so I'm fighting a losing battle!

Offline shooterm21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 01:55:00 AM »
Check out grizzly's web site, they have the anniversary edition of the 14" saw on sale till the end of the year.  Get it quick and save like $100 I think!  I bought mine at the same time last year and have no regrets!

Offline shooterm21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 01:56:00 AM »
I guess I could quit being lazy, here's the link if you're interested.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-Deluxe-Bandsaw-Anniversary-Edition/G0555LANV

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2014, 06:33:00 AM »
I would be willing to bet the blade is what is causing the problem. But I'd still buy a new saw as it will come with a new blade..  :)

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2014, 09:21:00 AM »
Every time I go down into my work area and I see my Griz G0555X,  my skin gets tight with goose bumps....and I just want to start cutting up stuff!  Sometimes even if Im not even working with it,   I just bump it on for a sec,  just to hear it pur  :cool:  .  I did somethin' right buying that sucker....best 8 and change Ive every spent. Have had it coming up on a year now I believe.  My most costly tool thus far,  but sooooo worth it  :thumbsup:  !!!

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2014, 09:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:
I would be willing to bet the blade is what is causing the problem. But I'd still buy a new saw as it will come with a new blade..   :)  
Hey Bud, save yer old saws for me when you buy a new one for the blade....   :laughing:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2014, 10:07:00 AM »
Kind of like buying a new bow because you missed!! Think I'll try another blade first and see!

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2014, 11:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by crittergetter:
Kind of like buying a new bow because you missed!! Think I'll try another blade first and see!
OK.  While I wholeheartedly agree with the above statement in most cases, the saw you have is not likely to produce decent results when cutting lams even with a top quality blade.  Why? 2 reasons: 1). lack of horsepower and 2). the components of that saw are likely cast or stamped aluminum.  The tolerances just are not that good and it will be tough to get consistent results accordingly.

Yes a really good blade will make a huge difference.  If you are doing just an occasional cut here and there, then by all means, just get a really good blade and tune your saw accordingly.  You will want to do both of these things on a new saw anyway.  The blades supplied with most new machines are not very good.  Personally, I like the Timberwolf blades best so far and hopefully they can supply you with one for your saw if you choose that route.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©