Author Topic: String Groove  (Read 425 times)

Offline Savora Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
String Groove
« on: December 29, 2014, 01:46:00 PM »
How important is the string groove on a recurve limb . I received these back in the day when Duke Savora was still runnin' around . Two sets of extra limbs . One set I noticed has a string groove slightly askew and the other is not finished as in no string groove . Big deal or just shoot em as is ?  Have a pic but unable to post it ,old age I guess .

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: String Groove
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 01:48:00 PM »
Do you mean the groove in the belly glass? It kinda gives the string a place to come to rest at the shot.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Savora Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 02:01:00 PM »
It's on the curvature of the limb . So when the string is at rest it is resting in the groove as you pull the string it is guided in this groove . My Cravotta Bros Bow does not have this .

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 03:01:00 PM »
Recurves with a more pronounced reflex at the tips will have those grooves, but not all recurves need them.

Offline Savora Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 03:38:00 PM »
The limbs on all my Savora bows have the groove but these were extra and were not quite finished . They do have quite a reflex to them . We will give them a go and see I suppose . Thank you for your feedback .

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 04:24:00 PM »
Maybe then they need the grooves finished.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 07:27:00 PM »
Simple trick if you need to make the grooves is to string the bow and trace around the string onto the limb with a pencil. Then take the string off the bow, and file inside the pencil lines.

Only do this if the string is tracking well ... If there's limb twist of any kind, this is not a good idea because you're grooves will not be centered and will make it hard or impossible to get the twist corrected later.

Offline Savora Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 12:57:00 PM »
I had thought about doing that . Maybe taping it off so I could see it easier . I suppose if four sets of limbs have this groove it probably belongs there .

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©