3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Whisperstick "Old School"  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
New Whisperstick "Old School"
« on: March 04, 2008, 09:40:00 PM »
I just got this bow last week and have been getting used to it.  At first I didn't know if it was going to fit, since I normally shoot longbows.  The more I shot it, the better I liked it.  I am shooting 55-60 spined cedars from it and Heritage 150s.  

First, this is the quietest recurve that I have shot and I have shot a bunch of them.  It is even quieter than some longbows I've had.  It is hard to believe you are shooting a recurve.  Second, this thing flat smokes an arrow.  It is shooting the same arrows that I shoot out of my Morrison Shawnee Arapaho which is 50@28.

Fit, finish, workmanship is excellent.  He calls this one his old school because it has an i-beam in the riser.  This one is cocobola with an osage i-beam and yew limbs.  Extremely light in the hand with no handshock.  Points well, handles easily and is just plain fun to shoot.  It is 60" and 44@28.  I took it stump shooting Sunday afternoon and for whatever reason, it doesn't carry thru the woods like a 60" bow, it feels shorter.  It may be because it balances so well in the hand.  You owe it to yourself to get your hands on one of these bows.

"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Whisperstick "Old School"
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 09:43:00 PM »
Nice lookin bow 4 sure. The shield cut on the tips is a cool accent.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 10:36:00 PM »
Got one of those oldshool on the way.  Mine is Osage, bloodwood and kingwood in the riser with Yew limbs.  53@28, should be pushing 60 at my 30" draw.  Nice looking bow man.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 10:46:00 PM »
One of these, 60@30, you will need flame retardent fletching.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 10:56:00 PM »
I hear they are real quiet too.  JD shipped it this morning so I should get her by Friday.  Can't wait.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline EASTERNARCHER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 01:10:00 AM »
I NEED TO ASK....WHAT DOES "I-BEAM" MEAN IN THE RISER?
ARCHER

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 01:19:00 AM »
Nice looking bow, the shield cuts tips look excellent!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 02:02:00 AM »
I got to shoot one of those Whisper Sticks this past weekend... all I can say is, I am getting ready to order one!! One of the quietest and best shooting bows I have shot.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 02:03:00 AM »
I got to shoot one of those Whisper Sticks this past weekend... all I can say is, I am getting ready to order one!! One of the quietest and best shooting bows I have shot.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 02:05:00 AM »
oops...

Fred Bear

Offline longbowjim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 07:22:00 AM »
I-beam means that it has multiple layers of different woods stacked the width of the riser.  So when you cut the sight window, the center layer of wood is exposed creating a different color.  It is a term that was coind for bows in the late 60's and early 70's with this style riser.  Hence the name "Old School".   JD

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 08:13:00 AM »
Sure do have some Purty LongBows!!  :thumbsup:   VERY NICE WORK!!  :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Steve Nuckels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 09:05:00 AM »
I like that bow!  You guy's keep tempting me!!  I'm wearing down fast!  I would ask for help, but I wouln't get any here!

JD, go bro!

Offline Gerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 09:15:00 AM »
I should have mine today or tomorrow.  JD build that design at my request... He made three all together and they are sweet.  I had him change the grip a bit to fit my hand. I will post pics a soon as I get it.

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »
I am the proud owner of one of JD's recurves and I agree with many of the comments made.  The two things that I find most impressive about the bow are 1.) Grip design and 2.) Quietness.  The bow is incredibly "shootable" and because the grip is designed to place the hand consitently every time, it really promotes accuracy.  These are very nice bows indeed!

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline EASTERNARCHER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 11:33:00 AM »
OK, I'm tetterin' on ordering a bow! never done THAT before! So, should it be 58 or 60in. Any diff.? at 28" draw...

From concensus, I take it that the Mojostik is fast?  Suggestions for wood combos?
ARCHER

Offline jesse cales

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2008, 12:23:00 PM »
mine should be here tomorrow.i'm leaving right now to go work for 16 hours.man,its gonna be a long night.  :(

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »
cant wait for my 60!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Sticks only

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2008, 03:17:00 PM »
Easternarcher- the 58" will be fine at your draw or any draw for that matter. I think the 60" bows are the most forgiving and they really dont seem all that long in the field. I have been doing a lot of testing with the new 56" protoype and this bow is a nice option too if you want a short bow. The difference between the 58" and 60" is not measurable.

Pinecone has one of the prettiest Mojostiks ever built, Its tulip and ebony. I love that wood combo. She deffinitly got my favorite whisperstik, I shot it a couple times before it left. The grip was perfect, super quiet and fast. I almost laid claim to that one Claudia.

So, if you are looking for wood combos, you cant go wrong with tulip and ebony. I think there is a couple photos on here of the tulip and ebony bows JD has built.
Whisperstik Testmonkey

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2008, 03:32:00 PM »
Yep, I definately got a real beauty...and I am soooo glad that you didn't grab her before I had my chance, Sticks!  If I had better pictures I'd post them , but I truly have nothing that would do the bow justice.  The tulipwood is absolutely stunning!

Claudia
Pinecone

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©