Author Topic: begginner builder  (Read 896 times)

Offline Double A

• Trad Bowhunter
begginner builder
« on: January 21, 2015, 09:11:00 AM »
i've been research building simple bows for a while, and i'd like to start by making some board bows for my young kids.  couple questions about board bows.. it seems like board bows are either bendy handles or stiff handles with a glued on handle.  is it possible to make a stiff handle bow, one piece, without any gluing, just by using a thicker board?  i have some thick quarter sawn maple that i'd like to use.  my oldest is 7 and about 50" tall.  how long of a bow should she be shooting?

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: begginner builder
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 10:27:00 AM »
Yes you could make the bow with no glue. You would just have to cut away the limb wood more.

On a kids bow, I lean on making them a little long.
For your 7 year old I'd suggest 60 inches.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 10:29:00 AM »
If it's hard maple, I would say ok for a kids bow, not sure on soft maple. I would make it about 58-60 inches long.

Offline Double A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 12:29:00 PM »
thanks guys.  I also have some 1.5" wide red oak flooring, i think its 3/8 inch thick.  would i be able to use that?  some of its quarter sawn, and some not.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 06:33:00 PM »
A lot of us started with red oak. Keep it wide and at 3/8 you could make a bendy handle or glue on a handle. 60" sound about right. Be sure to post pics as you go along, we would be interested in seeing your progress.

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 07:12:00 PM »
Red oak limbs work well at 1/4 inch thick in a pyramid shape for kids bows with glued on handles. 1 1/4 inch wide to 3/8 tips.
48" long

With the 3/8 maybe 60" long, but may come out a little heavy.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET

Offline Double A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 07:45:00 PM »
Just got home and measure it, it's actually an inch and a half wide and 5/16 thick, I glue one up at 48 " long, just as a practice now. I have tons of this stuff hope it works have three kids and two nephews, if it doesn't I'll just get the right stuff and build them out of that.  Thanks guys.  I can see how this becomes a disease

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 07:50:00 PM »
Should work well. I made about 40 of the 1/4 RO bows.
Now the grandkids have grown so I make bamboo backed osage or IPE bows.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET

Offline ColonelSandersLite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 07:57:00 PM »
IHMO, macbow is right about making it long.  A longer bow is more stable and easier to shoot, easier to make, and the kid will grow into it pretty quick.

For a beginning kids bow, supposing you're aiming for 15 pounds of pull or so, the handle may not require a glued on riser at all to remain rigid from a regular thickness board.

Red oak boards will make a board bow, but without seeing them in detail, we can't say that *your* red oak boards will make a bow.  It depends very much on grain.

There's one thing that makes me hesitate though.  Many bowyers will tell you that their first few self bows where of pretty questionable quality, didn't last very long, etc.  There is always a risk of a bow breaking.  A beginning bowyer's bows are much more likely to break and kids aren't easy on equipment (at least I wasn't).  I'm not saying that this isn't a good idea, but I would suggest that you make a few bows for yourself first, so that you can be reasonably confident that the bows you hand your kids aren't going to break and hurt them.

Offline Double A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 08:02:00 PM »
I agree on the safety, I will make double sure that anything I make is solid before they get them

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 09:48:00 AM »
On the safety , I just pull the bow 3 or 4 " more than the youngster could pull it. Many times. Usually on my tillering tree first.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET

Offline Double A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 07:30:00 PM »
Made some cuts and a little sanding.  Trying to figure out where to make the cuts to shape the handle and the sight window

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6uzvcowhed20vju/2015-01-22%2019.21.09.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/eqyhzo3i7i7r6bl/2015-01-22%2019.21.22.jpg?dl=0

Offline Double A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 09:16:00 PM »

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 09:43:00 PM »
Have you cut any taper into the limb thickness yet or is it still flat?  It can be hard to tell for sure in a picture, but it's looking like it's still flat to me right?  Assuming that's right, I very much doubt that piece of wood will make a bow without backing it with something.  The grain is just too squirrely.  Alternately, maybe you have started to taper the thickness and it's quartersawn so it's deceiving me, but I doubt it.

Then again, with a lightweight kids bow, it might, I dunno for sure.

Offline Double A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 09:52:00 PM »
It's quartersawn. I have cut the limb tapers but I just realized I cut the tips to wide so I have to do it again, 3/8 right?

Offline Double A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 09:53:00 PM »
Sorry forgot, I am planning to back it.  What's cheap and effective?  I read brown paper like package wrapping is good?

Offline Knoll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 10:14:00 PM »
The handle looks to be wonderfully shaped.  Looks like lotsa work.  Hope the tillering goes well so the shaping effort is not wasted.  My handles are just roughly shaped until after tillering.
Also, re the fades ... did ya taper them into the limb thickness, or is riser block (including fades) just sitting on top of belly?  If fades aren't tapered into limb ya risk possibility of riser popping off.  Been there, done that.  Sometimes with low-weight kid bows you're ok, sometimes not.
Good luck!
Stay safe,
Michael

Offline Double A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2015, 10:23:00 PM »
Shoot, I don't know what you mean about tapering the fades into the limb thickness

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 10:49:00 PM »
Tip thickness depends greatly on what style of string nock you're doing and how fine you're willing to go.  Thinner is better, up until the point that they break.  On my current 45# bow, the nocks are just a hair thicker than 3/8" (that's fairly conservative for the bow type) and you could certainly go a lot thinner on a kids weight bow.  Then again, I could easily see a kid tripping or being careless or whatever and breaking too thin of a tip, so it might be best to overbuild them some anyways.

Re fade taper:  So, you have the static handle which doesn't bend, and the working limb that makes up most of the rest of the length of the bow and does bend right?  The fade is the transition area between the working limb and handle.  The taper here would be meaning a smooth transition or a harsh transition.  I'm with knoll on leaving the handle until after tillering.  It's easier to get it to sit level on the tillering tree when it's flat.  You'll see all about that soon.  Also saves at least some work if the bow breaks in tillering.

Also, to be clear, when I asked about taper earlier, I wasn't meaning across the width of the bow, but rather had you thinned down the belly side of the bow when those pictures where taken?

I would really like to see a good picture of the grain on the back of the bow.  Depending on how good the grain is, brown paper can work. Linen and drywall tape are similar options.  If the grain's too poor, something sturdier would be in order.  Rawhide maybe, or even changing up for a working backing in the form of a good piece of hickory or something.  It just depends.

Offline Double A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 10:59:00 PM »
I'll post some better pics.  I want to make as many of my mistake as possible with this bow since it cost me nothing, I'll get them out of the way before I work on something cooler.  Thanks a lot for the help guys

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©