Author Topic: What's the fix?  (Read 463 times)

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
What's the fix?
« on: January 21, 2015, 08:26:00 PM »
I have a '64 Bear Kodiak Special that is in real nice condition. It has one very small scratch on the back of the upper limb. I have strung it and have drawn it many times with no issue, but it is there and it bothers me.

I have heard a lot about the Loctite 420 and the fact that it is not the easiest compound to find found me purchasing a tube of JB Weld in the Plastic Weld. I have not used it yet, just thought I would get some of your opinions on what you think. Thanks.

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What's the fix?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 08:38:00 AM »
Anybody???????

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 08:48:00 AM »
I would use a super thin super glue on it.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 09:09:00 AM »
x2 what the ol fella sez!

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 09:28:00 AM »
I'm looking at pic on my cell phone so I can't see it very well.is that a scratch or a crack on limb edge?

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 10:51:00 AM »
I'm having the same problem with the picture- either way thin super glue is the way to go.

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 10:51:00 AM »
A heavy scratch or a small sliver. You can feel it with your fingernail.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 11:03:00 AM »
See if you can lift up an edge with a toothpick. If not then it's a scratch, so just hit it with very thin super glue. If it does lift up, don't lift too far, hold it up and put very thin super glue under the whole sliver then clamp it down snug. Let it alone for a day.

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 11:11:00 AM »
Thanks Roy. There is nothing to lift, it is like a small void. I will fill it with the Super Glue like you said and leave it harden. Thanks,
                                                                                       Craig

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 11:37:00 AM »
Note, that around me to get the thin loctite (wicking grade), you have to go to an industrial supply house like Grainger. But they will be able to have it for you tomorrow for about $5
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline jhk1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 10:27:00 PM »
As recommended by others above, use thin (watery) superglue-- not the regular superglue.  Last year I got a small bottle of Loctite 420 off the big auction site; I think it ran me a little over $15 with shipping.  

I believe Woodcraft stores (or go to their website) still carry "Hot Stuff" CA (cyanoacrylate-- it's super glue) glue.  It's woodworker-quality CA glue.  The "Hot Stuff" comes in 2 or 3 different viscosities-- get the thinnest one.  When I bought a bottle a couple of years ago at Woodcraft, I think it cost me $10-- but it was a good-sized bottle (2 or 4 oz., I forget which).

You want thin, watery CA glue like Loctite 420 or Hot Stuff, because you want it to wick all the way into the crack.  Regular superglue won't penetrate deep into the crack like the thinner CA glue.

That '64 KS sounds too nice not to spend the $10-$15 bucks on the right glue.  Good luck on getting her fixed up.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 02:09:00 AM »
try the model aeroplane shops- they will have all three viscosities of ca glue

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 09:54:00 AM »
I bought a bottle of 420, $17 delivered, to repair a riser and I was not impressed at all. The regular CA I get a wally world works just as well and you get 4 tubes for $1.57
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©