Author Topic: 2015 Annual Bowswap Progress Thread  (Read 16563 times)

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2015 Annual Bowswap Progress Thread
« Reply #980 on: September 15, 2015, 06:42:00 PM »
Honestly Al, I hear you, at the same time, I don't sweat it if I get a bow or not. Most of my bows I just give away, so it's not much different.

On that note I suppose I should say that my bow was received by woodcarver2, Dave Chetcuti. He and I spoke when he received it, but sadly I found out a few days later that the riser had popped off, and the bamboo backing got a longitudinal crack as a result. He had said he was going to try to repurpose the limbs for a takedown, but who knows if that will be successful. Struggling to understand why smooth on failed with carefully feathered fades, but we will never know. Anyway, I told him I'll make it up to him, and that's what I will do. I'll post again when that happens, until then, I'll be lurking.

I guess this means I need to up the anti another notch for the next bow and for next year. On the plus side I've got a couple nice osage lams, so maybe things will come together soon. The worst part for me is that my bow will not be accompanying Dave on his moose hunt. Whatever I come up with I can guarantee it will go above and beyond, that's all I can do right now.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #981 on: September 15, 2015, 07:32:00 PM »
well thadll serve you right Ben- ya shoulda know better than to send such a fine piece of craftsmanship to an eastern canuck- if you had sent it north west, say for example- it would have still been perfect!!!   :laughing:    :laughing:

really sorry to hear that ben- could the bow not be repaired- dave has the skills- he also builds some pretty smart bows!
 some CA, a wrap, and re-glue the riser on??

really very sad to hear about this- it is a beauty of a bow!

holler if there is anything we can help with

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #982 on: September 15, 2015, 09:23:00 PM »
Wayne, I know if anyone can fix it Dave can. He is definately a to notch bowyer, and I knownthat because I have one of his very fine bows from last years swap.
I think when the riser popper off the bow cracked right at the shelf cutout. His bow only has a thin power lam instead of my normal 1"+ riser.
You might be onto something about those eastern Canucks ... We shall see what he comes up with. He might end up being really lucky in the end because I about to gear up to build a new run of bows ..... Good thing last time I ordered bamboo I went in deep and bought 25 slats! No shortage of backing material here.

Maybe it's time to cut into some nice yew ..... Maybe I've given too much info already lol. I still want it to be a little of a surprise. Good thing he's busy packing for moose camp and isn't reading this lol.

Offline wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #983 on: September 15, 2015, 11:22:00 PM »
I see nothing, I hear nothing, I know nothing!
Famous words from A TV seargent.
Almost done packing now, I just need to get the kitchen sink out.
Ben, those limbs will live on if I have anything to say about it. After I get back, I have a couple of projects that need to get done. One is a really cool pedestal for another man's moose mount and the other is a pair of bows for my Sister's kids. Then I'll build a riser a figure out the best way to mount bamboo backed limbs to it.
BTW Wayne, I'm from a lot farther east than Ontario and if I know my geography, you're from just about the same distance east, just a bit farther south. A place I'd love to visit one day.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #984 on: September 15, 2015, 11:41:00 PM »
too true!   :D  
 beautiful place to go hunting!!

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #985 on: September 16, 2015, 02:42:00 AM »
I'm still interested! And waiting patiently!

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #986 on: September 17, 2015, 04:56:00 PM »
I am still watching Folks give me updates.

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #987 on: September 18, 2015, 09:15:00 AM »
Still waiting here too.

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #988 on: September 18, 2015, 08:05:00 PM »
I check a few times daily, hope you guys waiting patiently get your bows very soon. Hunting season is near    :archer2:

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #989 on: September 18, 2015, 08:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by SportHunter:
I check a few times daily, hope you guys waiting patiently get your bows very soon. Hunting season is near     :archer2:  
Very near. Season opens Oct. 1 here. I'm already getting geared up. Fortunately I got a fine static tip recurve from Fujimo, and a very nice BBB longbow from woodcarver2 I will be hunting with as well as my HBI recurve from last year. Bit more arrow tuning to do then I need to start shooting from my tree stand to get ready.

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #990 on: September 19, 2015, 06:36:00 PM »
Tracking says the bow was delivered yesterday to its new owner. Hope ya like it and that it shoots well for you!
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #991 on: September 20, 2015, 05:29:00 PM »
rmorris - Thank you very much for the great bow you've made for me  :)  It's a beauty  :)  I got it on Friday afternoon but I was just leaving to go to the National Champs weekend....so no time to shoot it properly yet. I'll definitely be stringing it up and flinging some arrows in the morning. I'll try and get some pics in its new home for you too.
What woods have you used? I see wenge for sure but i'm not certain on the other wood in the riser? Walnut?
Again many thanks.

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #992 on: September 20, 2015, 06:45:00 PM »
Mike the other wood is Bolivian rosewood. I hope you enjoy the bow! Also I found the brass nock in my driveway after I shipped the bow but I am guessing you will be able to come up with one of your own.

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #993 on: September 24, 2015, 02:07:00 PM »
Lets see some progress pics. It won't be too long before we get signed up for the 2016 swap.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #994 on: September 24, 2015, 05:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by SportHunter:
Lets see some progress pics. It won't be too long before we get signed up for the 2016 swap.
Yes! Who is outstanding still?

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #995 on: September 24, 2015, 06:07:00 PM »
I'm still waiting.  Been working on restoring the bows left alone after the stroke though.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #996 on: September 24, 2015, 07:08:00 PM »
My new recipient is waiting, so I'm still outstanding. I feel bad, but it will be November before I get this new bow built. The end of the summer an start of fall has been crazy. I hope he understands. I can send him the original bow sooner if he wants, but he'd need to shorten his draw some, step up in weight, and shoot with the other hand.

But if he can wait a bit longer, the new bow will be old school Hill. Yew lams, myrtle riser over the belly lam under clear glass with either grey or green glass on the back. Will order the clear glass tomorrow. Have everything else.

I'm off work tomorrow and on light duty for awhile after surgery today. I think prepping lams and riser for glue up can be considered light enough.   :)
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #997 on: September 25, 2015, 08:24:00 AM »
Sounds sweet canopy, should be a real looker with that green glass and clear belly.

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #998 on: September 26, 2015, 04:16:00 PM »
Is it just me waiting?  If so, sounds good.  I'll be posting my newest bow rather soon, had to completely rebuild a bow that was strung for months.

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #999 on: September 26, 2015, 05:12:00 PM »
You are not the only one, I think there is 5 or 6 of us. I am just happy to have finally got my bow out the door but it will be Christmas when my new bow arrives

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©