Author Topic: What did you do today, 2015....  (Read 15220 times)

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What did you do today, 2015....
« Reply #140 on: March 01, 2015, 10:44:00 PM »
Robert, I gladly gains five pounds just reading your post!  :)

Bue, you OTOH,  made me cringe.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: March 02, 2015, 10:19:00 AM »
This was a good weekend. Turned out that I got some R&R, a few things accomplished, and time with DU2 (Daughter Unit #2).

Saturday morning I went to the range to measure up where I need to build storage for all the educational bows. (I'm tired of shuttling them from my house to the club.) They had cancelled the shoot that morning because of conditions (snow.) But I had a great time shooting the 3D course anyway. I passed a group of 8 wheelie guys on Target 3 and then had virgin snow to stomp through the rest of the way. When I finished the course, I could see that they had made it all the way to Target 7. They must have been out there until dinner! Anyhow, I shot better than I expected to. I only had to search for arrows on one target where I went over the back. (All my shots seemed high.) But overall it was a peaceful and enjoyable morning!

Saturday afternoon and Sunday I spent working in the shop. I needed to clean some stuff up, so I found a new place to store my laminations and glass which should make a difference. I also decided to finish up a spine tester I started to build probably 2 years ago:

It seemed like a great idea for precision when I dreamed it up back then. But the dial indicator has a spring on the plunger that counteracts the 2# weight. Now the spring force is small and is a linear function of the deflection that can be corrected for, so it can all still work out just fine. But that combined with needing to subtract the two readings on the indicator means I need to run a laptop or the like next to me. So turned out to be very precise, but a pain. But now it's done. Most importantly I even put up a spot on the wall to hang it out of the way when not using it.

DU2 spent a good chunk of the day out in the shop with me, mainly turning firewood into a mess on the lathe:

She's worked on the lathe before, but yesterday was her first time learning to properly use the skew chisel. She also learned how to use the chop saw, drill press, and nail gun. Then I made her design and build a paper towel rack for my shop. I think she's got potential.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline rockkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: March 02, 2015, 10:50:00 AM »
David...you a had a great day   :notworthy:  Enjoy those daughters of yours,they grow so quick. I miss those days with my daughter's,but now I get to pick on my grandkids.Thats a bunch of fun too.    :)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: March 02, 2015, 11:28:00 AM »
Good day ya had, David and nice shooting...

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: March 03, 2015, 05:14:00 PM »
David, you are clearly a great dad.  :thumbsup:  

My two girls are grown and have their own families.  But, they live very close by and have given up five grandsons and two granddaughters, so life is good.

I got thinking about that dang pyramid oak some more and how at 20" it seems very heavy but on the scale it was 32# @ 23" on the long string.  Then it dawned on me;  the long string!!  :eek:  

It's not going to a full 23", so it's going to be heavier than 32# on the normal string.  Gotta put it back on the scale with a normal string and see what it does.  Really cold and snowing right now so maybe later.  :)
Monterey

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: March 03, 2015, 08:02:00 PM »
Definately good times David! My middle daughter ( I say middle because I have 3) helped me glue up my swap bow today. Like I said, good times!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: March 04, 2015, 05:19:00 PM »
Braved the cold and put the pyramid on the scale with the short string.  Came in at 33# @23" so apparently the long string is not long enough to make a difference.

Wife prohibits filing string nocks at the kitchen table!
Monterey

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: March 04, 2015, 08:14:00 PM »
Shot a new 64" static recurve today.  It's somewhere around 75-80 at my DL, but 45-50 for a regular draw at 28".  Won't be keeping it, it's not easy to use from the wheelchair.  Shoots rather well, though.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: March 04, 2015, 08:35:00 PM »
? What is your draw length, 35"?

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: March 04, 2015, 09:28:00 PM »
Robert, we are heading your way tomorrow and hope I get a chance Sat. to leave some finger prints on that fancy lammed bow you posted.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: March 04, 2015, 10:58:00 PM »
Greg, I left part of a finger(skin) on a tip overlay..when I super glued the end of my finger to it.  should have one set of limbs spray finished thursday night. the olive ash burl limbs came out 36#s @ 28". weather will be good this weekend. low of 50 and high up to 77 degrees(above zero)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: March 05, 2015, 12:29:00 AM »
steam bent some wood for the 1st time.
Was kinda fun.

Just some little riser pieces..used a microwave and damp towels.
...I didn't come up with the idea but it worked.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: March 05, 2015, 08:31:00 AM »
Dave, when I built my spine tester I had a similar problem. Just wouldn't read accurately. It was extremely precise, just not accurate. So I just printed out a chart by using a linear correction factor that related the reading on my spine tester to AMO spine. Then you can put down the laptop.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: March 05, 2015, 09:41:00 AM »
I built my own spine checker/reducer machine. It's all automatic. I connect it up to the lap top and punch in what I need and walk away. It checks the spine, then turns on the lath and grinds off the precise amount of wood while checking for correct spine every 1/100th of a nano second. I haven't got the software figured out yet to do a taper cause I keep ending up with a 14" arrow and the end that's still locked in the lath just keeps flipping around till it goes flying out and sticks in the ceiling. But someday I'll get er done..  :)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: March 05, 2015, 10:01:00 AM »
you just can't help but make somethin that shoots an arrow can ya..
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: March 05, 2015, 10:25:00 AM »
Snow day today, office is closed. Need to finish up DU2's yarn organizer and then glue up a bunch of riser blocks. Luckily mine are all simple, none of that crazy curved stuff...
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: March 05, 2015, 10:49:00 AM »
Ordered a set of Manchu arrowshafts in leopardwood.  They ought to be a sight-Manchu arrows aren't weighed in grains, they're weighed in ounces.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: March 06, 2015, 07:32:00 AM »
From 40" stave billet to 36" belly lams..

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: March 06, 2015, 07:57:00 AM »
Dude! Build a selfbow outta dat. Another move like that and we're takin your saw away!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: March 06, 2015, 07:57:00 AM »
Last night I trimmed up and cleaned up the rawhide job I did on a Grumley replica I built. Love the looks of blotchy rawhide. Especially over osage.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©