Author Topic: What did you do today, 2015....  (Read 15252 times)

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What did you do today, 2015....
« Reply #280 on: March 24, 2015, 09:37:00 PM »

Bow out of the form. Looks like my swap bow will be colored glass. DU2 stole my last clear glass.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #281 on: March 24, 2015, 10:13:00 PM »
More good memories David! Man, That form is super impressive!!!!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #282 on: March 24, 2015, 10:33:00 PM »
Really neat looking form, more details please.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #283 on: March 25, 2015, 07:30:00 AM »
My first air hose form was made out of laminated plywood, but had a couple of problems. The biggest was that the bolt holes for the tie straps would deform under load (1.5" x 72" x 80 psi = 8600 lbs). Which made it tough to keep the form nicely aligned. Second, it took a lot of wood to make the form and then that form took up a lot of space. So messing with multiple forms became problematic.

Being an engineer with ADD who sits in a lot of boring meetings gave me time to overthink this. What I came up with was a single form frame out of metal that could have various wood inserts swapped in and out.

All of the load is assumed to be carried through the metal components, the wood is just there for shape. Since the air in my hose expands in the oven and my pressure often goes over 90 psi while cooking, I ran the calcs for minimal deflection at 10,000 lbs of load. I decided to go with 1530 extrusions from 80/20. (1.5" x 3.0") 80/20 extrusions are anodized aluminum and very straight. Steel tube would have worked as well and been a bit cheaper. However, 80/20 also lets you add moveable feet to stand it up and clips for attaching the wood inserts.

The tie-straps are also aluminum (6061-T6) and sized to carry the load. (Note they actually carry 20,000 lbs combined.) I think the cross sections are 3/4 x 1/2. They bow out from the form in order to allow room for the air hose or wood inserts wider than 1.5". These straps are through bolted to the extrusions at four fixed locations with 5/16" grade 8 bolts. These through holes were drilled carefully and precisely to make sure everything stays square and true. If not all drilled the same, you could end up with some of the straps not carrying their share of the load. If not drilled true and square, the top of your form will cock over slightly relative to the bottom.

The straps in the picture are sized for 6" wood inserts which works well for longbow forms. I also made a set of tie straps that allow for 12" wood inserts when I want to make bows with more curvature in the limbs.

I've found the form bolts together very quickly and easily. It weighs about 60# with a bow in it going into the oven, which isn't that much heavier than my all plywood form. My glue-ups have all come out of it nice and straight and trouble free. I think it was definitely worth the investment in materials and construction.

If y'all have more specific questions I can try to answer them. I can probably also take some more pictures if you have certain areas you want to see in more detail.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #284 on: March 25, 2015, 08:10:00 AM »
well done!   :thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #285 on: March 25, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »
Pretty cool David..

Took the puppy for a walk down to the pond today. She is a real lab now, she went in the water... 4 months old and is 35 #'s and strong as hell...

Online rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #286 on: March 28, 2015, 09:37:00 PM »

Got her up and running just before sunset , got a few more logs to arrack on Sunday.
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Offline breazyears

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #287 on: March 28, 2015, 11:13:00 PM »
stack and sticker those boards quick.
 Its nice having a mill.
theirs a fly in my soup

Offline breazyears

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #288 on: March 28, 2015, 11:16:00 PM »
Taking the dog out for a shed hunt tomorrow. Hope to find one or two.
theirs a fly in my soup

Online rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #289 on: March 29, 2015, 10:20:00 PM »
Cut some more elm today on the mill, one log was nicely spalted.

"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #290 on: March 30, 2015, 05:03:00 AM »
I'm so jealous!!   :bigsmyl:

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #291 on: March 30, 2015, 08:00:00 AM »
WOW!!!!   :thumbsup:

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #292 on: March 30, 2015, 08:17:00 AM »
Sweet...

Offline inksoup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #293 on: March 30, 2015, 08:17:00 AM »
bigbob2  +1
these are not the droids you are looking for.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #294 on: March 30, 2015, 03:41:00 PM »
I see some incredible lams there. I also see a nice coffee table in a couple of pieces.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline RedStag5728

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #295 on: March 30, 2015, 04:16:00 PM »
Ordered me up some shafts from surewood shafts for my new self-bow I made here  http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=011533;p=3

Can't wait 'til they come in and get some arrows fletched up!
Randy
CTA RedStag LB 64" ntn 57# @ 28"
Hickory SB (#2) 64" ntn 43# @ 28"
Hickory East Woodland SB 65# @ 27"
Darkside Laminated LB 50# @ 28"
Darkside Laminated LB 37# @ 28"

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #296 on: March 30, 2015, 04:50:00 PM »
Spent a good while talking to the maker of my next bow.  It's great being able to talk with someone and explain your needs, and them pay attention.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #297 on: March 31, 2015, 05:51:00 AM »
This weekend my dad visited for the first time in 2.5 yrs. He made blow guns and darts with his granddaughters and spent time shooting with DU2 - even following her around the local range yesterday. He seemed to enjoy reading Traditional Bowhunter Magazine in the evenings with his whiskey and talking about when he was a kid and my grandfather was big into archery. Yesterday morning he helped me glue up a reverse handle bow that I didn't have a solid purpose for yet. He seemed to enjoy shooting my longbow, and kept asking questions about the design. I had been thinking about making him a bow someday, but was planning a d/r design with some nice veneers - something a cabinet maker would appreciate. But I wasn't sure he'd ever shoot it much. Now I'm thinking something different. The bow he helped glue up would probably be perfect for him. I'm going out to see him at the end of April, I'd like to send it out ahead of me. Need to have a set of arrows to go with it as well. He also wants me to get one of the big toms that hang out on his property. (He was reading turkey articles in TBM.) I think they'll be in season when I get there. Makes for a good reason to be shipping a bow and some arrows without raising suspicions.

:saywhat:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #298 on: March 31, 2015, 11:25:00 AM »
Finish sanded 2 sets of ILF limbs..spraying finishing later today. I Deboned a wild hog ham, cut some up and flattened with hammer for frying in coconut oil.. the rest I kept whole and put in crock pot for BBQ.. We made mashed potatoes, sweet corn and I made some red and black pepper gravy..it was gooooood..looks like crock pot bbq wraps for the next couple of days..

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #299 on: March 31, 2015, 03:19:00 PM »
Is everyone here but me retired?    :rolleyes:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©