Author Topic: What did you do today, 2015....  (Read 15283 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What did you do today, 2015....
« Reply #380 on: April 20, 2015, 09:06:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Martin Schutte:
I got to see my kid this weekend so no grinder jig building only family time it's nice that they(her mother) moved closer so that I can spend time with her! Have a nice end to the weekend guys!    :thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #381 on: April 21, 2015, 04:46:00 PM »
Broke a bow I was working on.  Gonna have to use a fishtail splice on both ends to save it, if I can at all.  Wouldn't be so bad if I didn't do it while stringing it, and fell on top of the broken bow.

I'll live, I learned and I just have to keep going.

Offline darin putman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #382 on: April 22, 2015, 12:22:00 AM »
Glad your ok halfseminole, keep at it. Really that's all any of us can do. I got caught up on a few archery related things today myself. Finally got around to planting about 113 osage seeds and about 102 persimmon seeds in starter pots, my daughter Jacey and 2 of my son's Creek and Ledge helped with that. Afterwards they all shot bows and bragged on who was the best shot. Oldest son Briar wasn't there to shoot his new Mad Dog Machete bow so they were all better than him today, according to them. Afterwards defeathered about 10 sets of wings that by the smell of them were way past due. Finally cut, tapered ends and stained 24 shafts. Wife's working tonight hope she don't read this cause none of us touched the 2 baskets of laundry on the table, oops. That's a bad thing when there's 6 of you. Will do better tomorrow, maybe.
Osage selfbow and Surewood shafts

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #383 on: April 23, 2015, 08:38:00 AM »
Put the final textured coat on a late 50's Kodiak I've been refinishing. It was a white glass and maple bow (at least I think the riser is maple). I figured out how to stain glass, so that was kinda fun.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #384 on: April 23, 2015, 01:56:00 PM »
Well dang, are you going to explain how to stain the glass!

What are you refinishing with?  I have several older bows that I'd like to re-do but not sure what to use.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #385 on: April 23, 2015, 04:12:00 PM »
It was pretty easy really.
Just sanded it down smooth to the glass.
Then mixed up some black aniline dye with methanol and wiped it on.

The Glass on this one was white. The dye actually worked too well the 1st time and made the limbs black as night. Didn't look so black till I wiped on the poly. So I sanded it back down a touch to achieve the grey color I wanted.
Then wiped on some more poly.
That's really it.

I probably should have left it alone right there.
..but I've always gotta mess with things..for better or worse.
So I mixed up some green dye and used the black I already had to put the "camo" lines on the limbs.

After putting the lines on it I just wiped on a few more coats of poly.

Then did a few coats of rattle can spar from enough distance to give the textured look I prefer.

I'm sure the collectors will frown on this..and how much value was lost from removing all the silk screening, staining, etc.

I have no plans to sell this one..ever.. for my own reasons.
So I figured I may as well make it something different.

I dunno how much I like the way it turned out..but it's kinda camoed up at least.

Not a good photographer and my camera sucks..but here's a peek...

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #386 on: April 23, 2015, 06:52:00 PM »
Look pretty darn good from where I stand!   :thumbsup:

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #387 on: April 24, 2015, 08:20:00 AM »
Well thanks Bob.    :)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #388 on: April 24, 2015, 08:28:00 AM »
Very nice, John..

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #389 on: April 24, 2015, 11:45:00 AM »
Thanks Roy

Offline breazyears

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #390 on: April 26, 2015, 06:56:00 PM »
Got me a drum sander today. it was gifted to me by my very generous uncle. Its a Preformax Supermax 24, 5hp motor.
 Cant wait to have it making dust. Need to wire a 220v plug close to its new home in the shop.
 This will be much faster than my home made one.
theirs a fly in my soup

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #391 on: April 26, 2015, 08:34:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #392 on: April 26, 2015, 08:35:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #393 on: April 27, 2015, 10:26:00 AM »
Kodiak looks good. Nice uncle, now make some dust.   :)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #394 on: April 27, 2015, 10:59:00 AM »
Thanks Bue

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #395 on: April 27, 2015, 05:35:00 PM »

Checked some Yew staves and this one had gotten some serious reflex while drying.It was straight when I split it a year ago.

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #396 on: April 27, 2015, 06:12:00 PM »
I saw this little charmer on a motorbike with safety belt, goggles and bandana. Cool. Bue--.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #397 on: April 27, 2015, 07:45:00 PM »
WOW!    :eek:

Offline cunruhshoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #398 on: April 27, 2015, 11:28:00 PM »
I got out for some much needed stump shooting! Beautiful day...

I even found some snow...

As Iron sharpens Iron so one person sharpens another...Prov. 27:17

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #399 on: April 27, 2015, 11:33:00 PM »
wow, looks like some serious tension wood there Bue

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©