Author Topic: What did you do today, 2015....  (Read 15194 times)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What did you do today, 2015....
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2015, 06:39:00 PM »
Mike, I agree with your wife, that work bench is a mess.... But I am the boss in "MY" bow shop. Until the door opens.. LOL

Now Greg I tell the truth one time and ya gotta mess with me..  :)

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2015, 08:26:00 PM »
Take five, it does look pretty good in the pics but there is a little jiggle in the grain on one limb about 8 inches from the fade.  I like a little jiggle but not in a bow limb.  Went grocery shopping yesterday but forgot to ask for paper bags.  Might be something else around the house for backing.  

Roy, it's never going to get clean.  I keep adding projects and leaving them sitting half finished.  

Nice day coming up tomorrow but the wife says she wants to go for a drive to Rocky Mountain National Park.  At least will vet a chance to shoot a few elk with the camera but probably no bow fun.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2015, 09:57:00 PM »
Got a sweet little 58" osage shorty just about ready to string.  It's got a 3-1/2" rigid handle, 1-1/2" fades.  1-1/4" wide for half the limbs.  Gonna make a 50# at 27" bow out of her.  Debating whether or not to sinew and recurve...

Also got to play with my bees.  This was the first day since the day after Christmas they were flying good.

http://youtu.be/J4zrT-AI6UI?list=UUd1zciLMYHIsFEKSqERkJAw
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2015, 07:53:00 AM »
Pretty cool, John..

Offline goobersan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2015, 08:10:00 PM »
they look happy to me John. I see some mead or beer in your future    :campfire:

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2015, 07:29:00 AM »
You know, I saw a couple of honey bees flying around yesterday. It was warm for sure, I was in a t-shirt working around the house. Put in some concrete footers for one of those inexpensive car canopies that blew away in the wind a week ago. Turns out the ground was still frozen though, the auger didn't like that much.

Then I hit the range with a friend. Weather here was just perfect.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2015, 08:50:00 AM »
Put a bow in oven yesterday afternoon..shedua riser, amberboo taper, Santos rosewood under clear glass. This glass is some I had in storage since 2011 and might be fairly streak free??. Early this morning I went into the shop for a few minutes..I had 65 psi in fire hose..I  pulled bow blank out of the form and it looked good. I will Grind it to shape and add limb overlays later today.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2015, 04:59:00 PM »
ordered some bow making materials...
little hickory, some maple, bit of osage, some glue..

also pledged not to tease my Wife about her luck with her new van anymore...it is her birthday today.

Bought a new van for her Jan 30th.
She smacked a deer in a bad snowstorm Feb 2nd..    :knothead:  
..she and all passengers were just fine.   :)    

Shoulda heard the words coming outta her sweet self...lol it was pretty impressive even to me.
Tell ya what though, there was some talk from her about getting better with her bow so she could thin the herd a bit..though the way she put it was a lot more fun...lol
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2015, 05:57:00 PM »
Hah! That reminds me of the way my wife started giving me a hard time this season. The words coming out of her were aimed at the time I wasted in the woods hunting with no venison to show for it. She figured she would just start running some deer over for the freezer and I'd have more free time for her honey-do list. Of course, her van is old and she probably figured she could kill two birds with that stone and end up with a new van to boot.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2015, 06:38:00 PM »
She must be watching as you practice.. LOL

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2015, 01:44:00 AM »
started working on a tri tonight.
Basically just got things sanded down to thickness and tapered the core.

It was nice to see some bright yellow dust again!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2015, 10:41:00 AM »
Atta boy...

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2015, 09:14:00 PM »
Cut some billets out of some Ohio Osage today. Awesome growth rings on this wood.

Got the second coat of tung oil on a Tri Lam we are making for an 11 year old boy we don't even know. My buddy from Ohio who gave us the Osage knows a young fellow that could use a bow. So we were happy to help the boy out.

Bottled up the wine tonight too..

And the puppy is getting big, 3 months old and is 19 pounds. Gonna be a big girl I think..  :)

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2015, 09:42:00 PM »
cool pup. mate.
   :thumbsup:

Offline BenM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2015, 09:42:00 PM »
What kind of wine?

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2015, 10:03:00 PM »
Concord is the dark stuff and Chardonnay is the light stuff..

Wayne lets see a recent picture of your pup..

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2015, 10:07:00 PM »
gonna be doing some more blood trails tomorrow- will try and get my daughter to catch some short video or at least some pics- he is all nose- literally and figuratively !!!
 well that wine has to be a step up from that stuff in cans      :D    :D

Offline critman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2015, 10:12:00 PM »
Dang Roy, you make the purtiest bows! One of these days I'll give boo another try. Just broke my heart for all that work and when I tried to long string it....C R A C K!!!!   :banghead:    :banghead:    :pray:

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2015, 10:15:00 PM »
Nice puppy! I'll throw in my guess now of 60lbs at 1.5yrs.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2015, 10:31:00 PM »
Crit, I had my share of failures in the early years. That taught me a lot.. Biggest thing is a nice even tiller. And I have leaned towards a longer bow the past few years. 64 to 66 is my standard now ah days. Lot less stress on that boo. I love boo backed bows, but it can break your heart at times...

Ya prolly Ben, I'm betting 80 to 85 when she is full grown. We had a black lab female that went about 80#. I'm thinking Annie is going to be a bit heavier.. She is very well built for a puppy. And so smart, 3 months old and she goes to the door and sits there and cries to go out when she has to potty. That impresses the heck out of me... Bad news is, she is a bed hog, LOL... She sleeps right between the wife and I. I wake up and her nose is under my chin, or her feet are pressed against my back. Or her head is across my legs.. But I just smile cause I love dogs...

Had her down at the pond the other day, ice is pretty thick so I left her walk out. Momma freaked out though. But where she was is only about 3 foot deep. Can't wait to have her retrieving sticks and decoys once the water warms up. Nothing like a lab jumping off the bank into the water..  :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©