Author Topic: A lot of glass threads  (Read 960 times)

Offline Troy D. Breeding

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
A lot of glass threads
« on: February 02, 2015, 08:38:00 AM »
Wow!! Just noticed it this morning, but there sure are a lot of threads about glass.

Has the glass gotten that bad?

I want to build a new set of limbs for one of my bows and this is almost scary.

Don't want to spend a bunch of $$$ buying clear glass only to find it streaked and unusable.
Troy D. Breeding
 www.WoodGallery295.net

Retirement ain't what it's cracked up to be.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A lot of glass threads
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 09:01:00 AM »
Yep, the quality isnt what it used to be, and the prices keep climbing. All the more reason to make bows without it, imo.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 09:31:00 AM »
So it's funny. A couple years ago I bought some "streaked" glass from Kenny at a discount. I basically traded a bow with cherry lams to a friend for nothing because I considered it subpar with the streaks in the glass.

I borrowed the bow back from him as it shot well and I never wrote down any of the specs in my log book. He's barely shot it, and I'm thinking to myself it's one of the nicer ones I built. I looked at the "streaks" that were in the glass and they were barely visible. Nowhere near as bad as what seems to be the norm now. They don't even show up in pictures, you have to hold the bow to the light just right to see 'em. And that was stuff Kenny had culled. Funny how quick things change.

My question was how did Kenny cull them? Just holding up to the light or wetting them a little first? I think that's the answer now. Buy extra glass and pull the best pieces for the fancy bows and use the others for lesser bows. Not that glass is cheap, but the lams and other parts aren't either and then there is the labor into a bow.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 09:48:00 AM »
i ordered some glass from binghams- cos jim doesnt do 030 glass- i specifically asked them to check for streaks- they said they did- well it has streaks all over it- that can be easily be seen- their fault or not- i dunno- just indicative of the quality nowadays   :(    :(    :confused:

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 11:23:00 AM »
I get my glass From Mike at rosewood and haven't experienced any problems other than one set of it.  He took care of me no questions asked.   I also like the fact that I can get it whatever thickness I want.

Offline Bivyhunter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 11:40:00 AM »
The glass Gordon's has been putting out for the past 8-9 months has been HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!! The last batch was better, but still is a FAR cry from what they used to put out. I've had many conversations about the glass with Mike at Rosewood and he tells me that Gordon's is committed to returning the quality of their glass to what it was before. He has a new batch of glass coming in the middle of this month and I'm keeping my fingers crossed on it! You sure take it for granted when a product that is critical for the image of your company is manufactured how it should be....until they (Gordon's) send you a bunch of crap and expect you to continue to pay their ever-increasing price for it and be happy with it. I've been sick to my stomach over this for almost a year, sure am hoping they get the problem resolved!

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 12:04:00 PM »
What is mike at rosewoods contact or website?  Just curious haven't heard of him before
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Troy D. Breeding

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 12:20:00 PM »
Glad to hear that someone is sticking with it and making every attempt to push Gordon back into the right direction. I'd really be ticked to waste a good set of spliced veneers with streaked glass.
Troy D. Breeding
 www.WoodGallery295.net

Retirement ain't what it's cracked up to be.

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 02:52:00 PM »
I contacted Bingham's about this and they said the problem is in the manufacturing process, that Gordon's is working to correct it, but that Gordon's will NOT guarantee their glass. That is less than an impressive statement about Gordon's, IMO.  They did say the glass is slowly improving, but that there are still some streaks present, fwiw.

Andy
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 04:55:00 PM »
This is quite disturbing, and I think sadly the result will be a return to previous quality at a significantly higher price.

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 05:41:00 PM »
My humble opinion about current quality of clear glass is the manufacturer should be arrested for taking money under false pretenses. 'Abysmal' would be flattering it.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 07:41:00 PM »
As long as we are buying the defective glass and paying a premium price, why would Gordon change anything. I have been told that they are doing us a favor by even offering glass to bow builders. Well my solution to the problem is for Gordon to get out of the way and let some else supply quality glass to our industry. I haven't offered clear glass in the past 5 years, that is the way I have coped with the problem. Black or Brown, our choice.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 07:45:00 PM »
It's a good thing I've developed a fondness for colored glass bows.

The last bow I made with clear glass turned out as one of the nicest bows I've made - except for the streaks in the clear glass - and that was over non-dyed maple!!!  I would have really hated to see what it would have looked like if I'd have used a dark/dyed wood.

I acquired a bunch of black and brown glass and that's what I'll be using until I hear the quality of clear has improved.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 02:18:00 AM »
There must be something we can do about this. Does anybody know what actually causes the streaks in the manufacturing process.
After all if it used to be clear...

Offline Pago

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 02:39:00 AM »
Gordon Glass  

Here is an article on Gordon's glass.
The best made plan won't get it made the way you planned.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 06:09:00 AM »
I'll say this... if the glass is going to remain 'defective' I may never build another glass bow... ever. Im mostly ok with that. I'm not going to buy clear glass unless it's clear... just like I don't buy "clear lumber" with knots in it.

Oh, and if they're going to raise the price significantly because they think they're doing me a favor by solving THEIR problem... again, no thanks. Keep it.

I have no interest in colored glass.

I have a few special pieces of veneers and lams I'd like to put under clear glass one day, but they can wait... I've got enough bamboo, wood backings, horn, selfbow staves, sinew, lumber and such for perhaps a hundred bows of various types that will be more unique, interesting and cheaper to make than glass bows.

Until they make clear glass that is actually clear, I'll pass on the glass.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 07:37:00 AM »
I received some bad news yesterday from my supplier. looks like the February shipment and the March shipment May not be in until April.

This is directly from Gordons.

They are making an effort to improve things, but this problem didn't happen overnight and it won't get fixed overnight.

I hate the streaks too, but will likely quit building bows if I have to resort to colored glass. Nothing uglier to me than a colored glass bow...but that is purely personal.

If it was so easy to build clear glass, don't you think others would be doing it? You think Gordons glass has streaks, you should look at the Bear Paw stuff.
They are marketing it as being stiffer so you don't require as thick of glass. Henry said you should try it JIm...I said, stiffer thinner glass is nice, but I won't try until it looks better. He understood.
BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2015, 09:17:00 AM »
Of course we can all learn to make our bows without glass.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2015, 05:58:00 PM »
Kind of strange that a small producer in Sweden was able to make a100% clear glass without streaks and imperfections.
In my opinion the best bow glass ever produced. But because bowmakers bought the cheaper BoTuff---- same old story.
I consider myself lucky who still have some of the Swedish glass. Bue--.

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 07:23:00 PM »
Buemaker, do you have a contact for the Swedish glass.  You are welcome to PM me.  

The best I can tell those streaks are glass fibers that did not absorb the resin completely. I already charge an extra $25 for clear glass and will probably go up to $50 in the near future if the situation doesn't change..  Nothing worse that planning out a bow with very expensive wood and finding streaks so pronounced the bow goes into the dumpster.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©