Author Topic: Bamboo Backed Ipe R/D Longbow [with Video]  (Read 6922 times)

Offline bowhunter15

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bamboo Backed Ipe R/D Longbow [with Video]
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2015, 08:50:00 PM »
Well, I've now taken a total of 20 light rasps across the middle of the lower limb (right). It doesn't tip in the tree anymore. The top limb is still bending down further (4.25" vs 3.5") Do you think I'm correct in the region I want to remove further wood from? The scale is reading about 22lb here, so in actuality around 40lb draw, and this is still with a loose tillering string.

Also, I bought everything I need for the gizmo, but forgot to buy a pencil    :knothead:  So I'm going to make a quick trip to the store.

[/url] [/IMG]

Offline bowhunter15

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2015, 10:10:00 PM »
I'm open to suggestions. I had it close to even with both limb tips getting to about 6". The upper was about 6" and the lower maybe 5 5/8". Tried stringing it to a 3" brace height and I couldn't get it strung even until I was red in the face. I got it to where it was strung with a really tight string with a 0" brace height, and thought, "Man my compound doesn't even start off with this much tension starting the pull." So my conclusion was that the bow overall still needs quite a bit of wood removed. So I took quite a bit off both limbs. And I am currently at the picture below. Lower (right) limb tip is still not bending down quite as far, but I can't tell which spot I would need to shave down on. The scale says about 20lb or so here, so 40lb actual give or take. Should I attempt to string it at 3" BH again or try to even the limbs more first?

I've been at this for hours already. Exercising the limbs about a few hundred times in total.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2015, 10:58:00 PM »
all i know is, that late in the race like this- go real slow- it will suddenly come round, and one can end up light, just go slow and easy- it really looks great- wait for some of the rd experts to chime in here
cheers
wayne

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2015, 12:48:00 AM »
Fuji has it right.
take it slow.
It's AMAZING what a couple hard scrapes can do in the wrong spot.

All I'd add is to get away from the long string sooner rather than later.

A shorter string changes the tiller quite a bit.

And ya might want to get a scale in there somewhere.
You don't really want to put any more pull on her than you're hoping to end up with.

I don't have a very good track record for bows but...I've been surprised the difference what I said above makes.

..oh and I like the fish
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2015, 02:59:00 AM »
Hang your scale off the top pulley then you have no guess work, doubling isn't going to be accurate because of friction.
File yourself a couple of shallow temp string grooves past your actual nocks so that you can use a stringer - don't use a glass bow stringer. you can just use some paracord etc and tie small loops in the ends so that they just slip over your new temp nocks. This will making bracing it a cinch.
take some more pictures once its braced as the tiller will be different eg. the tips will be coming round a bit more.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2015, 07:57:00 AM »
Did you floor tiller the bow "before" putting it on the tree? Floor tillering is holding the top of one limb in one hand, then pushing on the handle of the bow with the other hand to bend the limb that is resting on the floor. You want to remove wood and floor tiller it until the limbs begin to take on a nice even bend/arc so to speak, BEFORE you go to the tree.. Having the string tight against the belly is good, too long a tillering string is not good. Your tree looks like you have it setup to replicate where you will be pulling the bow string when shooting. That is GOOD. I see the black vertical line on the tree, that is good. Don't worry about which limb tip is bending more or less. Because they will not bend the same, they can't because you are pulling more towards the top limb than the bottom limb. Just be concerned that the trees pull rope is traveling straight down that black line on the tree. When it does that, that means both limbs are bending equally, REGUARDLESS of how far either tip travels downward.

Did you facet the edges of the limbs, back and belly? Then did you round off the edges and then sand them smooth? Also anytime you remove wood, always sand them smooth and make sure there are no crisp edges or scratches anywhere. If you can't string this bow, then YES it is way too heavy and needs wood removed equally from both limbs. Then floor tillered again. Also make sure the center area of the belly of the limbs have a nice even taper to them. You don't want any bumps or depressions anywhere. And anytime you remove wood, sand that area smooth and be sure to check that the bellies have an even smooth transition from riser to tips. Always exercise the bow 30 times after each removal of wood. When I check the weight, I don't pull the scale with the trees pull rope, I pull the scale with my hands, and only pull it to as far as I have pulled the tree rope down. If the tree rope drifts off that black line, it ALWAYS drifts towards the limb which is too stiff. ALWAYS... Therefore you will need to remove wood from that stiff limb to achieve equal limb timing, hence the tree rope traveling right down the black line..

Ya dig all that? LOL

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2015, 08:51:00 AM »
You should have a folder with all this stuff in it Roy...copy/paste..lol

...sounds exactly like what you've told me in the past.

Listen to what Roy says..he's pretty good at this stuff.       :thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2015, 09:13:00 AM »
fellas theres a man dedicated to bow building- looks like his tree is set up in his livingroom.   :eek:  
either you are single mate...or i want to borrow your wife training manual!!   :D    :thumbsup:

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2015, 09:16:00 AM »
:laughing:  

..Wife training manual..
Looked that up...Author died mysteriously shortly after publishing.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2015, 09:39:00 AM »
:biglaugh:     :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:

Offline bowhunter15

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2015, 11:46:00 AM »
Lol. It's in the bedroom, so that when I open up the master bathroom door after I take a shower, it keeps the bedroom humidity higher than normal MN winter levels. The GF has yet to express disapproval of my methods. I guess I'm just a lucky guy... heard that all changes after marriage though.    :readit:

But seriously, thanks. This is all great input. The bow woods came "floor tillered" but noted that they could be used to make a bow up to 100 pounds. I put the scale right on the string and it read 20 pounds after pulling it only a couple inches with the long string. I had not faceted the edges and sanded... I've just been reducing with a pocket plane and wiping away the dust.

When I get home today I will do the recommended things: facet edges of back and belly, reduce both limbs a little more, sand smooth, and floor tiller. I've also got a traditional longbow stringer coming in the mail tomorrow.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2015, 01:31:00 PM »
get yourself a cabinet scraper, and a burnishing tool to sharpen it with- you'll never look back!!
and build yourself an "Eric's gizmo"!!

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2015, 03:10:00 PM »
An old pair of scissors taken apart makes a great scraper... Maybe steal the girl friends pair when she hain't looking..   :)

X's 2 on the gizmo.....

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2015, 03:22:00 PM »
Good to see another BME lurking on the bench.

looks like you've got lots of good advice so I'll keep out of it lol.

But yes it will all change after marriage ... That "bedroom" you speak of will be known as the "nursery" ....

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2015, 04:04:00 PM »
BME huh?  So that's what's wrong wif him?   :)  LOL

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2015, 04:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:
An old pair of scissors taken apart makes a great scraper... Maybe steal the girl friends pair when she hain't looking..    :)  

X's 2 on the gizmo.....
do left handed scissors work?

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2015, 06:41:00 PM »
Only in you left hand .... Obviously

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2015, 08:11:00 AM »
oh yeah...duh..what was I thinking?    :knothead:

Offline bowhunter15

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2015, 01:19:00 AM »

Pulling around 46 pounds at this length. 1" BH. I think I need to get a non-stretch string to brace it easier. With the paracord I'm using now I have to bend the limbs to what would be a 6" BH or so, and when I relax the limbs the string stretches back to a minimal BH.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2015, 09:08:00 AM »
You do need a good string, but it looks nice.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©