3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: predator hunting  (Read 343 times)

Offline jerrod

• Trad Bowhunter
predator hunting
« on: March 05, 2008, 12:10:00 AM »
This past weekend my brother, brother in-law and I went coyote hunting at night.  I actually managed to call two of them in.  We were hunting with shotguns and rifles.  My question is does anyone out there try doing this during first light and last light with traditional archery equipment. If anyone does, any suggestions on setups or calling techniques.
John 3:16

Offline bloodyarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: predator hunting
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 09:37:00 AM »
Always set up in a shady area if possible have the sun to your back, try and figure the direction the critters will come from and set up down wind, coyotes will circle down wind every time, and watch the weather anytime the barometer stats falling that means a front is moving in the critters feed best times i find is when baro is below 28" of mecury and falling be out calling day or night. Coyotes will usaully come in within rather qiuckly ten min. or less bobcats alot longer thirty mins. or so. My rule is uasully 30 mins. stands if nothing comes let them starve. Good Luck Have Fun
Hunting The Way of My Ancestors
(The Traditional Way)

Eddie

Offline jerrod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 12:42:00 PM »
thanks for replying!  Thats exactly what happened on Saturday night.  It was very cold and clear very liitle wind at all.  We set up on a hillside overlooking a picked cornfield.  We set up about 15yards apart.  I was the designated caller for that setup.  I called for about 30 second intervals.  About ten minutes into this setup I shined our cordless red-filtered spotlight across the field, I spotted a critter about 200 yards out closing the distance fast.  within 30seconds he was 50 yards and my brother couldn't see the coyote because of the dip in the field.  I could see it perfect but was busy running the light, and trying to do some soft squeeks to finish the deal.  Long story short I watched him get down wind and that game was over.  He trotted away and that was it. I'll add another post to finish this.

Offline jerrod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »
I really want to try to do this with my recurve, I think this would be the ultimate challenge hunter against hunter, predator vs predator. Thanks again for the info!

Offline bloodyarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 02:15:00 PM »
Get you a headlight like a nite lite put you a red filter on it and leave it on, i never turn mine off while im calling. this way you will see eyes way before it gets close to you. i either have a shooting lite with me or just pop the filter off my head light and shoot off it.If you use a shooting light use a 500'000 candle power it's not to bright but it is bright enough with a red filter to shoot stright off of. LSI makes a real good one that is cordless, just use it to shoot with
Hunting The Way of My Ancestors
(The Traditional Way)

Eddie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©