Author Topic: how do you go from log to lams?  (Read 911 times)

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
how do you go from log to lams?
« on: February 11, 2015, 08:40:00 PM »
I need some advice on what to do with this log.  I cut it yesterday evening and split it today.  It is super heavy and dark red.  When I busted it in half I found the grain looks just like a curly osage tree I cut a few years ago.  I split that tree mostly into staves before I realized what it was.  I tried to make a selfbow out of it but it broke.  I don't think this curly wood is strong enough for selfbows.  I guess the best thing to do is to take it to a saw mill and have them cut it up for me.  The bottom section of the trunk is still in the woods.  I'll cut it and take it to the mill to.  I talked to Soy and he suggested 2" thick slabs.  I have zero knowledge about laminated bows.  What is the best way to season the slabs?  Should I seal them all the way around with polyurethane?  Should I give the guy at the mill any special instructions?  Is it even worth messing with?  I'm totally lost on this stuff.  I'm a selfbow guy.

This is where I stopped with it.  

I sanded a piece smooth to see how the grain would look.

Here is how the curly selfbow looked when it broke.

AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline soy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how do you go from log to lams?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 08:44:00 PM »
:notworthy:    :eek:    :clapper:

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 09:19:00 PM »
If you would like, I can chat to a good mate of mine that was in the music wood mill and supply business. He will know the right way to go ahead.
First thing though, I would only mill it with a good horizontal band mill, and not a circular mill, you will waste too much of the good wood in a 3/8" or more kerf.
He will know best for grain orientation, thickness  etc etc
???

Offline BowWright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 09:45:00 PM »
Oh man Clint, that is beautiful!!!

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 09:57:00 PM »
Thanks Cody.  This one is a lot darker than the other one.  Have you done anything with the curly stave from last  year?
AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 08:31:00 AM »
I've taken logs to lams many times. If you have a 14" bandsaw with a 1 hp motor you can do most of the work at home. A tablesaw is useful as well.

It needs to be cut into lumber form so that it will dry evenly from all four sides to minimize warping. The ends should be sealed with shellac or something suitable.

I try to envision how slightly oversized 1 x 2's, 2 x 2's, 2 x 4's or whatever are hiding inside each piece relative to the growth rings... whether I'll strive for quarter or flat sawn depends on what the piece offers mostly, and then on my wants and needs.

I use a hefty 3/4" blade and get it right on the bandsaw and first try to attain a large flat side to use as a base for following cuts. Then begin removing waste while keeping succeeding cuts parallel or perpendicular to the first. There will be considerable waste, especially in that piece pictured above since it isn't exceptionally straight.

Once you turn it into a piece or pieces that resemble lumber, you can sticker it and allow it to dry. Once adequately dry, you can either continue toward making your own lams by precisely
squaring it up and resawing roughcut lams and grinding them... or stop at any point along the way and send them to someone with the capabilities and equipment to do so.

I used to get mine to the rough, oversized lam stage and then send them to Old Master Crafters, but now I have the equipment to do it all myself.

If you like, you could remove the excess waste and then when the time comes, after they're reduced and dry, I could resaw and grind them for you. That stuff would look beautiful under clear glass.

Offline breazyears

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 09:34:00 AM »
Is that apple???
theirs a fly in my soup

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 10:27:00 AM »
It's osage.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 10:39:00 AM »
Clint that is very awesome Osage..

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 04:03:00 PM »
I talked to the local amish sawmill guy today and he said it would be $35-$40 to cut a log into 2" thick boards.  When I get it cut should I bring it home and slice each board into 2"x2" pieces or leave it in full width board form to dry?  Do I just seal the ends or should I seal the entire board?  

Bowjunkie, what do you mean by "sticker it"?
AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 04:05:00 PM »
And when I take it to him do I ask for quarter sawn?  I'm just really lost on this stuff.  Thanks for the help guys.
AKA Osage Outlaw

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 04:32:00 PM »
I would just have it sawn into 2" thick boards, cutting it for 1/4 sawn now would waste a lot of it. I would cut it into 2 x 2's when you get home. You will get some 1/4 sawn out of it that way, just depends on how you cut it out after it's in 2 x 2's.. Seal the ends. Stickers is simply strips of wood laid between the layers of the boards to let the air flow all around it to help it dry. Like say 1" x 1" stickers.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 05:34:00 PM »
I would be in the market for a pair of rough lams    :)        :bigsmyl:

I use a piece of plywood to lay my log on
one 2x4x 6" long? each end of the log, screw the 2x4's to the plywood and screw threw the 2x4's into the end of the log.
now you have a sled with a straight edge for your fence on a band saw.
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 07:51:00 PM »
Just the ends, Scrub. You want the moisture to leave from all sides... but not the ends.

That stuff is going to look nice whichever way it's sawn, so tell him to just try to get the most out of it he can.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 08:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bowjunkie:
Just the ends, Scrub. You want the moisture to leave from all sides... but not the ends.

That stuff is going to look nice whichever way it's sawn, so tell him to just try to get the most out of it he can.
Yep!
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2015, 08:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bowjunkie:

Yep!
}}}}===============>>

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2015, 08:50:00 PM »
OK, so the plan is to get it sawed into 2" thick boards, bring them home and cut them into 2" wide strips, and seal just the ends.  Do I need to worry about warping?  The only place I have to store them is a pole barn garage that is not heated.  Will that be OK?
AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2015, 09:07:00 PM »
Scrub it will warp if you don't strap it down. I have some hackberry 2x4 I got from a local mill and if cut green they warp bad. I strap them down if you can put spacers in there to get air flow it will dry faster.
I used ratchet straps, clamps and scrap dry wood to keep them from twisting and warping.

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2015, 09:09:00 PM »
OK.  I'll have to figure out a way to strap them down.  Thanks.
AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2015, 09:34:00 PM »
Bring it in the house!!!!!!!!!!!

C clamp it to a piece of square tubing
2", 3" something
}}}}===============>>

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©