Author Topic: Take down options?  (Read 421 times)

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
Take down options?
« on: February 16, 2015, 01:49:00 AM »
I'm looking to make a few takedowns (glass) and keep seeing Big Jims advert up top ^ with the picture of a take down taken down...! It looks pretty sharp/better than using the two metal sleeves.
I've made a handful of takedowns using the standard twin metal sleeves but have never been overly impressed with how they feel in the hand (big), would anybody care to show what other methods there are to make takedowns.
Many thanks.

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Take down options?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 05:43:00 AM »
The method Big Jim uses is a good one. I have about four under my belt so far. Watch his videos first. The measurements of the tenon are very critical. Good luck.
High on Archery.

Online BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 07:36:00 AM »
Crooked Stic, I would disagree on how critical the measurements are, but would want to emphasize at how important a glass..or if need be phenolic I beam is for strength.

I have never had one fail (I have done a lot of sleeve TD's!) so I can't really say how small the roughed in parts could be, but I have made them quite small.
I have also used many different woods to do these risers. If properly re-enforced, I would say most any wood could work for a riser.
I'm not a big fan of any of the other two piece systems or I would be using those instead.

Price isn't an important factor if your product is poor. But it is nice to know that the materials for the carbon/glass sleave system is less than half of any other system out there.

BIgjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 10:38:00 PM »
Your 2 piece units are great bows BigJim. The only thing I do not like about sleeves is metal tends to get colder.  Arthritic hands leave alone......   :(  
 A 2 piece is most definitely on my list of to do builds.

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 02:52:00 AM »
Crookedstic - Thanks for that. I didn't know Jim had done a series of videos on how to do takedowns.
Jim - that is a great set of videos, I enjoyed them and am ready to give it a go myself. Great explanations of your process, why, how etc all covered. Thanks for taking the time to make them I appreciate it! I'll be using this system on my trade bow. Could I just ask what exactly is the material you use for your I-beam? I'll look on your website later anyway, I just haven't got time right now.
Wolftrail - yes they never struck me as being a very good solution.

Offline Steve B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 08:04:00 AM »
Right here, Mike:

I beam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©