Author Topic: Recurve Build Log  (Read 1330 times)

Offline Pago

• Trad Bowhunter
Recurve Build Log
« on: February 17, 2015, 02:27:00 AM »
I had no intention of doing a build log but it occurred to me that as I am finding out how not to do things it might be useful to another.  After all the folks that have taken the time to help me here has brought me to this point so I'll try to pay it forward.

So this is a continuation from this thread:

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=012248;p=1    

I started by making a template for the form and gluing up the plywood. I made the template from hardboard tempered panel. I wont do this again but more on that later.  I attempted to glue the full length printed pattern on the board. I had paper stuck to me, to the board and bubbles and wrinkles everywhere.  I made up a few dirty words in the process. I ended up making the template a little more than 1/2 the total length and flipping it over based on Kenny's build along.    Kenny\\'s 62" build along  

I bought birch from home depot as the actual dimension is .75" and my form needs to be 1.5".  As most know usually .75" in plywood is not actually .75".

The birch seems brittle and the outer laminations want to peel off or break off if you look at them wrong.

I screwed the template to the form and broke out my fancy new pattern bit thinking "I'm you know what in tall cotton now". I checked, rechecked and tinkered until I thought I had it down, ok flip the switch lets go!  All of a sudden something is terribly wrong the router shaking like a dog crapping peach pits and I smell burning wood WTH?  I had checked the collar on the patten bit but somehow it worked loose and the hardboard was riding on the shaft of the bit instead of the bearing and I was cutting 1/8" too deep. Wordy dirds!  You can see the aftermath.

To add injury to insult the bit spit out the set screw (think tiny black thing). I worked the contents of the shop vac and the ground with a magnet and no luck. Dumped the vac and sucked up all the remaining stuff on the floor searched it.. no luck. Down on my hands and knees last ditch there it is in one of the concrete joints.

So as I am evaluating the aftermath of making half of the cut it dawns on my that I can fix the problem by cutting the whole thing wrong.  Reset the router bit so it will ride on the shaft instead of the bearing and continue on.  Take the template off and reset the router bit to run correctly (this time with loc-tite) and finish the form.

As I am standing there looking at my mess palm firmly on forhead I realize the hardboard is only like 5/16" and deforms very easily. Never again, thicker MDF or plywood only.

Also learned to cut the form as close as possible to the line before screwing on the template and cutting. The smaller the amount of waste for the pattern bit to cut off the better the surface and ease of control of the router.
The best made plan won't get it made the way you planned.

Offline Pago

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recurve Build Log
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 02:44:00 AM »
So I had left myself some options at the beginning and had purchased a 1.5" strip of 1/8" aluminum.  

So I mixed up some bondo brand epoxy and sawdust and filled in the dips in the form. A little rasping and sanding made it much better. Strapped the aluminum down to the form to give it some shape and evaluate the possibility, hey this might work! Marked my screw locations and counter sunk screw holes in the aluminum. Mixed up some more epoxy and put it on the form strapped down the aluminum and fixed it in place with self tapping dry wall screws. Won't know the final verdict for another 24hrs.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 05:38:00 AM »
LOL, sounds like a regular day in the shop for me..   :)

Offline choochoou

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 06:04:00 AM »
I'm so glad I'm not the only one this sh** happen to !
It's all fun and games, until someone gets hurt...then its hilarious!

Offline R. W. Mackey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 09:02:00 AM »
Don't think your the first to gouge up a form, I had to use Bondo to repair my first two forms. It generally never is as easy as some of these guys make it look.
  Good thing most of these mess ups are easily repaired.
Looking good so far.

RW
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT.  Practice until you Can't do it WRONG.  Dave Rorem

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 09:20:00 AM »
There's bondo on all my forms..I had to buy a pint of bondo a few weeks ago, just to fix 3 tiny digs. I mixed a teaspoon of bondo to fix the small digs. Like the other guys said..that's how it goes some days, it will go much better next time.

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 10:42:00 AM »
The aluminum strip should work- you'll want to fill those counter sunk screw holes and make them flush.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 12:36:00 PM »
So far, you are following in my footsteps.  :)

Sorry to see your pain, but somehow it feels good to know I'm not the only one to make these mistakes.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 12:59:00 PM »
The peeling/brittle birch plywood sounds odd..the birch plywood I bought from Lowes was really nice and smooth,but that was 4 years ago.. I was at Lowes the other day and saw some super nice oak plywood along with some birch. Routers are mean little machines.if you have to you can always make a new template and recut your form. I did that on my ILF limb form a couple of weeks ago.. I didn't have a perfect square form, i didnt have router and table square like I thought I did. I was off about 1/32" ..got it right the 2nd time.

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 05:27:00 PM »
I can relate exactly to your woes,having had a very similar result with a form and my router, only I hit a hidden screw in the ply with my brand new $50 pattern bit as well. , plus biting chunks out of the form to boot!

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 05:37:00 PM »
:laughing:  sounds similar to the form I finish building a couple of weeks ago.  It will turn out in the end!
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 07:24:00 PM »
Looks like you are going to make it work and cant wait to see the first bow. I have had them days, by the way what is a "Recurve Build Log"
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Offline JJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 08:45:00 PM »
Boy I'm glad I'm not the only one that has those days. I'm looking forward to more.
-Jay

Offline Pago

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 11:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by rmorris:
Looks like you are going to make it work and cant wait to see the first bow. I have had them days, by the way what is a "Recurve Build Log"
Well to call it a build along seemed wrong compared to the fine work most of y'all do.

Offline Pago

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 11:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Robertfishes:
The peeling/brittle birch plywood sounds odd..the birch plywood I bought from Lowes was really nice and smooth,but that was 4 years ago.. I was at Lowes the other day and saw some super nice oak plywood along with some birch. Routers are mean little machines.if you have to you can always make a new template and recut your form. I did that on my ILF limb form a couple of weeks ago.. I didn't have a perfect square form, i didnt have router and table square like I thought I did. I was off about 1/32" ..got it right the 2nd time.
The surface layer was delaminating just sitting in my garage?  Sometimes I think the quality of wood products is getting worse and worse.

Offline Pago

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 11:43:00 PM »
Thanks for all the comments, sounds like I am just paying my dues, glad I'm on the right-wrong track.   :banghead:

Offline Pago

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 06:23:00 PM »
I have a question and I think I know the answer but I can use some confirmation.  I don't think I have seen anyone address this but I am thinking that when I lay up the bow the thickness of the actionboo lams needs to be the same at any given spot over the length of the limb. The lams on the back will be joined the full length of the bow and the belly lams will not. I am thinking I need to mark them on the side before lay up so I can line them up.

Offline Pago

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2015, 02:13:00 AM »
Riser template done!  Can't say enough good things about the Ridgid oscillating sander it is a great tool!

Offline Pago

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 01:30:00 AM »
Finally tried out my thickness sander, made a taper sled with the action boo tapers before they are entombed in epoxy and fiberglass.  Worked good once I figured out how to adjust the setup of the machine.

Offline Pago

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2015, 02:22:00 AM »
Man time flies. Can't believe it has been almost four months since I posted or made appreciable progress on this project. I have been busy besides but lost a few weeks with medical issues but on the mend now so time to get back on it before it gets too hot to work in the garage.

First thing first, I figured out I was breathing way too much fine dust.  Did a great deal of research and decided a dust deputy was in my future.  Did my homework and discovered it removes fine particles the shop vac won't and it keeps the shop vac filter clean so you don't lose suction.  My unscientific analysis agrees with my research. Here's my set up.

I built a mount on top of my shop vac, so far I'm really happy with the results.  Much better dust control, portable and no larger footprint than my shopvac.  I have to save space where I can.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©