Author Topic: Stack configuration question  (Read 304 times)

Offline critman

• Trad Bowhunter
Stack configuration question
« on: February 17, 2015, 10:16:00 PM »
This may come a bit late in the game but here goes. How do you guys lay up your stacks? I have built several 'glass bows and always put parallels on back of bow and tapers on belly. Never really thought about why, just did it that way. The more I read on this forum, it sounds like most put tapers on back and parallels on belly or do you simply put the thinner lams on belly so they go up fades easier? Newbie question, just never thought about it. I will say all the bows I have made shot great with very little hand shock. Maybe I was just lucky?   :knothead:

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stack configuration question
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 10:59:00 PM »
i dont know if the sequence makes any noticeable difference to the bows performance.
depending on the butt thickness on the tapers- you might be better off with a parallel on the ramps- can just get them thinner- or i use the 001 taper and 1 // on the belly, and the 002 and the other// on the back- takes the curves well
cheers
wayne

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 02:38:00 AM »
Yes it doesn't matter apart from making sure they conform to the fades well.

Offline critman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 10:27:00 AM »
Thanks guys. Never hurts to double check.   :)

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 01:54:00 PM »
On one piece bows I would try to make my parallel laminations a little thicker than the tapers because my form is set up so that the back of the bow mated with the form. For this reason I would use my parallel laminations on the back to make fitting the bow riser to the form easier, and the thinner tapers would bend easier around the belly curves on the riser. On the three piece bows I would use the parallel on the belly side so that the thinner taper would bend better around the fade out.

No days I only use tapers so it does not matter where they go and I make all my tapers the exact same thickness and taper. I found this process to be much simpler for grinding laminations when all you have to do is set it up and grind everything the same.
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©