Author Topic: Cedar trilam?  (Read 309 times)

Offline Ethan Grotheer

• Trad Bowhunter
Cedar trilam?
« on: February 17, 2015, 10:36:00 PM »
Hey all, just curious if any of you knew a good combination for using red cedar as a riser and belly wood for a trilam?
I recently built a bamboo back, ipe core and osage belly trilam that I really like. It came out at about 47#(I plan to use it this turkey season) but I'd like to build something a little heavier(50-55#) and I like idea of using red cedar as my belly wood and probably bamboo again as backing.
So has anyone done anything like this?

Thanks,
Ethan

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cedar trilam?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 10:39:00 PM »
Only place I would use the cedar is the core lam.

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 02:34:00 AM »
No!!! Don't do it!
Try ipe for the belly if you are wanting to use bamboo backing. It's easy to get - just google ipe decking boards. Or of course stick with osage.
If you can get clear erc then it's great with a good sinew back.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 05:47:00 AM »
Like Roy, I would only use it as the center core lam in a tri-lam, and in fact have several pieces set aside for it. It just doesn't have the ability to resist the compression forces exerted by the bamboo.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 10:56:00 AM »
I've done a few cedars bows, a self bow and two sinew backed. I like it, mainly for the looks, and it's reasonably elastic, but it's just so lightweight, I think they're right that the bamboo is just going to crush it.

Maybe it would be ok if you went really wide, and long, and trapped the back .... It's likely possible but it wouldn't be my first choice.

I have a nice clear piece of ERC and I keep thinking about the same kinda thing you're talking about, and every time I decide it really needs sinew.

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 03:55:00 AM »
I made one with an elm backer that I like.  Like Ben said, ERC is pretty elastic but it is very lightweight.  Mine is 68" long and only weighs 15 ounces.
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline Ethan Grotheer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 11:55:00 AM »
Thanks guys, I just like the lightweight and beauty of eastern red so maybe.. I'll give it a shot in some combination or just let it go and go with another combo.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 12:41:00 PM »
Your shop will smell so good if you use that erc..   :)  Just make it a core lam between osage and boo...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©