Author Topic: Might make another tri lam..  (Read 1232 times)

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Might make another tri lam..
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2015, 08:30:00 PM »
Yikes!  I'm afraid to ask guys where they got that wood from now.
Glad I'm a wood guy, though.  It's just the glass guys who have to worry about their hoses losing pressure.   :smileystooges:      :D
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2015, 09:18:00 PM »
All us wood guys gotta worry bout is squirrels burying their nuts in knot holes...  :)

Offline soy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2015, 11:10:00 PM »
Yunz r to much ....got that trilam done yet    :dunno:

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2015, 01:34:00 PM »
New guy came over this morning and we glued up his second tri lam. Then I cut my tri lam out, it needs cleaned up yet, this is right off the band saw.

And looking at this picture of the riser, I see I did not cut it right. I need to recut it so the angle runs to the center of the handle so the ends of the handle area angles lay flat on the edges of the tree cradle angles. But I can do that, duh..    :)  

Bought me a new farriers rasp yesterday..

Puppy and her bear, sitting on mommies lap at the kitchen table...    :)   At 27#, she is getting to be a load sitting on our laps in the morning. She curls up on our laps and goes to sleep, until our legs fall asleep.. LOL

Just a cool picture of winters last days..

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2015, 02:21:00 PM »
I guess it might turn out ok.   ;)

I'm getting spring fever.  Supposed to hit 40 degrees today.   :eek:
-Tim Baker

Offline Boobacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2015, 04:55:00 PM »
Good thing Nancy got her Christmas decorations down ! LOL

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2015, 09:36:00 PM »
That spring tooth harrow brings back memories
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2015, 09:00:00 PM »
Well back to the bow.. The new guys are starting to take off alone with a little help here and there. I have it braced to 4", have had it pulled to 19". Left limb is just a tad stiff, but I don't get serious about removing wood till I get to a 6" brace height.

A bow and arrows my buddy Denny and I made for a young kid we don't even know. Check out the stain job Denny did on the bow, he does nice work.. Denny also made the arrows.

Kenny rasping off the glue boogers to get to the glue lines.

Jerry filing in string grooves on his second bow this winter.

My bow on the tree in the back ground and the form setup for a bow Denny glued up last night.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2015, 03:07:00 PM »
Thanks for the pics Roy.
I'm always looking at your past posts of tillering progress.
..I have a whole folder of pics and hints with your name on it...lol

I always need to look at the pics to reassure myself I can get the fades bending a bit more early on..have a horribly strong want to get the outter limbs bending early and leave 6-8" past the fades too stiff.

In short..thanks for sharing.
I think you might help others more often than you know.   :thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2015, 04:35:00 PM »
Really like the looks of that bow you and Denny made.  Jeez...I'm so old that I can remember when Pabst Brewery actually made the beer in my old home town of Milwaukee.  Back when the Braves played baseball there...   :rolleyes:

Your shop is way too clean and orderly, Roy.   :)
-Tim Baker

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2015, 10:31:00 PM »
Zradixson, the area outside of the fades is the last part I work on. That area gets a lot of stress applied to it. The farther you pull the bow down the tree, the more stress applied there. It will come around when you get to a longer draw, but yes it will/may need some wood removed, and you will be able to see that.. If you look hard enough..  :)  And then all you need to do is work on that area.. I concentrate on the mid limb area first, then as I get farther down the tree, the tips and fades come into the equation. The whole idea of tillering, is to get an even bend in the entire limb. While not developing any hinges... Wood bows are a unique animal. Tillering them takes time, hours, patience, persistence, and a keen eye, with a gizmo for me, to get the results required for a nice bow. But a "key factor" is the layout of the limb material, prior to glue up and tillering. My bows are already pre tapered thickness and width wise before glue up. That gives me a good head start when it comes time for the tree process. Just relax, John. Don't over think this bow stuff Mr. Engineer..  :)  Go slow, remove wood in areas needed with a goal in mind. Keep looking at the surface of the belly of the bow from the side. Walk back 6 or 8 feet, bend down to an even plane with the limbs and look at the entire belly surface. You want a nice gentle even gradual thickness taper from the fades to the tips. Look for low spots and mark them with  NO. Look for high spots and run lines across them, meaning, remove some wood there, slowly... It's fun, and you need a game plan when tillering. Hell it's all fun, wood or glass bows. Selfbows or tri lams, bbo's, etc..  Or whatever type of bow a guy wants to make.. Just enjoy the journey....

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2015, 02:01:00 PM »
AMEN!
 :notworthy:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2015, 07:05:00 AM »
Well my bow is finally done being tillered.

New guys bow was finished up being tillered last night. His first bow broke..

And the other new guy finished his second bow last night, still needs a grip put on it though. Jerry made two awesome bows for his first two bow builds.

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2015, 07:58:00 PM »
Very nice Roy!

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2015, 08:05:00 PM »
Roy, Your approach to tillering is very similar to how I go about tillering a selfbow.  Some staves are much more challenging, due to humps, bumps, and knots, but as a general rule the thickness taper and width taper are where a bow is made or broken. Some day I might decide to build me one of those laminated bows.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2015, 10:24:00 PM »
Yes Dan, I understand about the challenges of those selfbows. And I just shake my head when I see someone post a picture of a snaky, humpy and bumpy selfbow that has an awesome tiller. Like Pat Brennan and John Scifres, and a ton of others who make them. And Goose Gosset who has posted here in the past, OMG some of the staves he made bows out of was insane..  :)  But for some reason, selfbows do not trip my trigger, glass bows don't either. But my god those glass bow guys make fantastic looking bows. I just love making plywood bows... Must be something in the glue that gets me high..   :wavey:    :laughing:

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2015, 02:15:00 AM »
Great looking bow, Roy    :thumbsup:
-Tim Baker

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2015, 07:46:00 AM »
Looking better...

Offline soy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2015, 05:11:00 PM »
Its ok i guess