3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Advise Please before I buy  (Read 1570 times)

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
Advise Please before I buy
« on: February 08, 2007, 02:00:00 AM »
Ok right now I am shooting 41 pounds and shoot 50 arrows a once day sometimes twice a day out of my bear super grizzly. I have a 25" draw. I am really wanting to buy a Martin Savannah I have found its rated at 55@28 but I am told the scale shows it to be 58@28 so it should around 50@25. Will this be too much bow for me? Will I be able to work my way into it? I'm 42 5'8" will plenty of meat to turn into muscle  :D  

I feel I am getting a good deal on the bow its got a high gloss finish is in mint condition and is signed by Larry Hatfield. It also comes with limb covers and a hard case for under $400 to my door. I'm also shooting left handed so fewer good deals are to be found.

So is this bow a realistic bow for me or am I kidding myself because I feel its a good deal.

Please give me your opinion as I have to make a decision ASAP

Thanks
If God is your Co-pilot, change seats.

Offline Faith In Flight

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Advise Please before I buy
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 02:24:00 AM »
I would check it to see what it is drawing at your DL. At your DL it should be somewhere around 50-52lbs. No one can really say how much you can draw and shoot comfortably. The best thing to do would be to put some shots through it. I know I shoot at bow that at my DL is around 53lbs I think, and I wish I had one that was only drawing 40ish. They are a lot easier to shoot. Not just weight wise but getting a good release and not rushing the shot. But if you want the bow, go for it. My arms do not tire from shooting my bow, but then again, im only 23, so that could play a factor.

Offline dachba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 02:25:00 AM »
Going from 41# to 50# in one jump is a pretty big deal.  For your 25" draw, something closer to 50# @ 28" might be a better bet.  You will find that, if you are overbowed, your form will go to heck in a handbasket.  I speak from personal experience.

Dave in Ft. Collins, CO
Dave from North Bend, Oregon

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 02:36:00 AM »
The bow I am shooting now is 50@28 Maybe a true 55@28 would be best thats why I am asking for opinions.

Offline String Tracker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 06:01:00 AM »
Id stop and think....

A- why do you want to increase poundage?  

B- is current bow too light?

I do paper target shooting as well as 3-d and hunting.  after a day of shooting 50# i would be sore.  mind you id shoot for maybe 6-8 hours straight.  i dropped down to 40# for paper target and noticed immediately increased consistancy and much better groups.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 11:48:00 AM »
That is a huge jump in weight.I believe I would just order a new one at the weight you shoot best. jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Online Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 11:52:00 AM »
Yep, Big jump in weight, I'd at least shoot one that is the same weight you are considering buying to see the difference.

It might be a great deal, but if the bow isn't right for you or worse you injure yourself trying to move up in weight too fast, the deal will turn sour quick.

Good Luck, there are other deals out there.
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 11:54:00 AM »
25" draw at 5'8" sounds a little short. You may want to work on form. Shooting 50 arrows isn't the same as shooting 50 arrows right. Going up to 26" consistently would gain you 3# or so with out having to buy a bow. Just a thought.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 12:54:00 PM »
I appreciate all the advise guys. I respect it as well. I do want a new bow. In my mind I told myself I needed 50 pounds to hunt deer with. But maybe 46-48 will be enough. So I guess I will look for a true 55 @28"

Vermonster my arms are short but I do feel I could draw farther but then my finger would not anchor in the corner of my mouth. Maybe I need to find a new anchor point? I was drawing 28" on the compound.

Thanks guys

Offline ZaneD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 03:28:00 PM »
I don't think you should have a problem pulling 50# because i am only 14 but i shoot a 50# savannah at a 28" draw with ease.

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 05:20:00 PM »
I would buy it   :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 05:31:00 PM »
If you were drawing 28" with a compound, I would say you have a form, anchor issue for sure.  Personally, I think the best thing you could do, is to buy a 40#@28" bow (Cheap Beater preferable) and work on your form with it.  By mid Summer, you could order a new bow or find another good used deal for a bow to hunt with.  I used to think I had a 27.5" draw until I trade for a lighter bow than I was used to shooting and shot it for a while.  I have a 29" draw, and am getting more performance out of a 10# lighter draw weight at my draw than a heavier one that I was short drawing.

YMMV
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »
If you drew 28 with the compound, you should be able to work up to 27" with the Trad bows and really shouldn't be drawing less than 26" even at the start. Sounds like a form issue to me.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Lewis Brookshire III

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »
I shot 28" with a compound and I have been shooting 26" with trad bows. But I just got a really lite bow recently and found that with the light bow I was able to straighten my back up and extend my draw to almost 28". It really is amazing what a few pounds can do to optimize your draw length. I was always shooting 60# bows and was never really able to pull to my optimal draw length cause I was always snap shooting.

So I would say something on your form is not right if your draw is 25", and I will tell you what I am finally realizing is that you dont REALLY need anything more than 45-50# to hunt with.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot: Missionary/Martyr.

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 08:17:00 PM »
I'd buy it nine pounds isn't that big of a difference. I shoot my navaho longbow that is 45@28 and can just as easily shoot any of my other bows that range from 55 to 70. I do shoot my navaho the most so it's not a big deal

With that said don't try and shoot 50 arrows a day with the heavier weight. I would shoot a dozen or so for awhile until you become accustomed to the higher poundage. Shoot less arrows with better form. 10 arrows with proper form is better than 50 with marginal form
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »
Ok for those that think my draw should be longer. Please do this for me. Put both arms straight out in from of you palms touching and have someone measure from your chest to the tips of your fingers. Tell me that measurement and your current draw length. My measurement is 24 3/4"

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »
I agree with NightHawk, you can keep your light bow and work your way up. I also disagree about a light bow getting a cleaner release. I know lots of guys who have trouble shooting light weight bows because it is tougher to get a clean release. I would buy it and shoot it some and see how ya feel. Try a high anchor with your index finger tucked in behind your nostril and remember to turn your head away from the bow some, this will increase your draw length. Shawn
Shawn

Offline southernarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2007, 12:36:00 AM »
I'm 5'8" and I drew 28"with the wheelie.I draw 27 with my longbow.
I have a buddy that shoots a 64@28 longbow,and when I shot it a few times,I could tell I wasn't getting to full draw.I was all over the target with it.That was an 11# jump for me and man it was a big difference.

Maybe you should try and take some pics of yourself at full draw,or a short vid clip and post them up.

I measured right around 25" from my chest to the tips of my fingers.I got this measurement when I kept my shoulders square,not reaching,if that helps.
"We do this for fun, but we aren't playing"

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2007, 02:00:00 AM »
Southernarcher I get 25 1/2" if I reach as far as possible. I will take a picture and post it. In the shooters forum

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2007, 10:47:00 AM »
If the extras you're getting with the bow are going to be useful, then maybe 400.00 is a good deal.  You can get new bows for 425 to 450 however.  Look at Kohannahbows.com for brand new bows with bamboo limbs for that price.  You should be able to pick up a used Savannah in good shape for around $325.00'ish, if you're not in a hurry.  I think that 9 pounds is a big jump, almost 25% of the weight you're shooting now, and you would need to work into it gradually to build your strength.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©