Author Topic: Tiller Advice  (Read 801 times)

Offline TradBowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
Tiller Advice
« on: March 07, 2015, 09:54:00 PM »
Well after years of building glass bows, I decided it was time to return to the 'roots' so to speak so I pulled out this bamboo backed yew blank and my self bow tools and went to work. I switched to shooting 3 under a few years ago so I'm tillering this thing for 3 under hence the off-set tiller tree plugs (upper limb is to your left while looking at the pic). it is currently reading 45@24. I was wanting to finish up in the mid-50s but I don't think that's going to happen with this one but I can't complain too much after not having tillered a stick bow in years. I have a couple hickory staves that I've been saving to do so this one gave me good practice. What do you guys think so far?  
[/url] [/IMG]

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tiller Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 10:01:00 PM »
looks good,
only advice i would give, is dont leave the bow, drawn on the tiller tree, while you snap pics- even if it is only 4 or 5 seconds- unlike glass bows, this puts a huge amount of irreversible stress on the bow.
i have seen  bows take a lot of set doing this, and even some explode doing this.
check out roy from pa's posts, and build a tree like him- with the draw rope on a pulley- you can pull to draw- and snap a pic, and let it down- almost simulating shooting time.

good luck - its really looking good mate
 cheers
wayne   :)

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 11:32:00 PM »
Looks to me that the right limb is bending too much about a foot out of the fades.

If you have a tillering gizmo I bet it will point this area out as well.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 09:29:00 AM »
I dunno, Eric. I think it looks pretty even.. Could be my old eyes though...

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 11:55:00 AM »
I have old eyes too, perhaps I was seeing something that wasn't there, but......

See how that that place just before the white spot on the limb is further from the yellow line, then the yellow oval comes back to almost touching the limb with then transitions to a too  stiff tip section.

The left limb looks really good.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 04:04:00 PM »
Yes I see that now.. It is close.. Couple scrapes to the left and right of that would correct that, Tim..

Offline TradBowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 07:35:00 PM »
Thanks guys. Will see what I can do. Practicing on this one.  Next one will be a BBO that hopefully will get me an elk this year.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 09:24:00 AM »
Looks good. Welcome back to the world of selfbows.  :)  Jawge

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 10:47:00 AM »
Yes the right limb is bending too much right mid limb, where the node is by the looks of it. It's a little stiff out of the fades and the tip is definitely stiff.
Just go slowly and make sure to exercise the limbs well after every wood removal and you should be able to maintain the 45# out to your draw (28?) by the time it's corrected.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 01:05:00 PM »
Please excuse my ignorance here if I'm wrong...but..
If you're tillering for 3 under wouldn't you want the pegs offset to the other side if anything?
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 01:05:00 PM »
The loose mid limb will catch right up after the fades move more. I doubt you have to touch any other part of the limb except the fades.

Offline TradBowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 02:25:00 PM »
Zradix. ..I'm a lefty so it's opposite..good catch though

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 02:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by TradBowyer:
Zradix. ..I'm a lefty so it's opposite..good catch though
..boy I must be a dunce cause this just doesn't make sense to me..lol
..especially why left or right handed would make a difference..lol

Left limb is top limb according to your post.
Your pegs are "above" the shelf.
Shouldn't they be "lower" than the shelf if anything when tillering 3 under?

I must need a drink or somethin cause this just isn't making sense to me...lol     :knothead:    

I'll let it go from here cause I bet you've forgotten more than I know about makin bows..but I'll keep scratchin my head in silence...lol
..maybe what I'm looking at isn't the shelf but something you have wrapped around the riser to hold it?..heck I dunno..lol
Looks like it would be perfect if the right limb was the top.   :help:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 03:51:00 PM »
Boy I must be a dunce.....

I shore kint argue wif ya zraddyson...

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 03:52:00 PM »
thanks for permychon fer a drink Roy ol' boy

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 04:09:00 PM »
Put them engineers glasses on boy...

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 04:12:00 PM »
yeah..soo..That's what I've been sayin..shouldn't that peg be where his draw hand is gonna be?...like in the middle of the tree or slightly to the right of middle for 3 under??

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2015, 04:18:00 PM »
I was thinkin of trying to tiller a bow tonight...better hold off a day or 2..lol

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 04:58:00 PM »
Zradix, good eye. I agree. If the top limb is to the left, this is a left handed bow, and what looks to be the arrow shelf is indeed that... then the string hand fulcrum(and pegs) should be farther to the right... at about the center of the tree(in this instance) for three under... hard to tell in a picture sometimes.

Roy's vertical yellow line is about where the arrow would be, not where the string hand fulcrum and hook should be on the string.

If that thing I'm seeing isn't the arrow shelf, then please disregard.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 05:02:00 PM »
I can't really tell by the picture either, John. Just messing wit ya.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©