Author Topic: Limb pad angle  (Read 479 times)

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
Limb pad angle
« on: March 10, 2015, 01:17:00 AM »
Can anyone tell me what really is the ideal riser pad angle for a takedown bow.?  It seems that 11dg. is the norm. I'm currently using 7dg.  I know length of limbs, profile, design etc. are all factors in determining good design or so I think.    :knothead:  
Makes sense that more stress is placed on a 7dg. angle, but an 11dg. riser would pull less at 28" would it not..?
Seriously does it even matter what the angle is.   :rolleyes:

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Limb pad angle
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 05:06:00 AM »
A lot of variables. No best angle. What works best for your design.
High on Archery.

Offline TradBowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 07:52:00 AM »
angles are very important. The 'less' degree you have, the more early draw weight you will have which equates to faster speeds but this can also lead to more instability in the limbs. The less angle you have makes your bow  more stable but robs you of that all important 'early draw weight' that produces a faster bow. Crooked stic has it right...you got to experiment to find the best angle for your limb design that gives you the best of both worlds.

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 08:55:00 PM »
Thanks, good to know about the early draw weight.

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 01:41:00 AM »
I think you are in the ball park with 7-11 for most longbows but recurves tend to be much higher this is also for takedown bows, not sure how I would measure this with a one piece bow.

Changed my takedown bows a few years ago by 3 degrees. Performance difference was incredible and the same limb thickness was about 10 # heavier with less slope. Not too hard to make a few test risers out of cheep maple and do a few force draw curves with the same set of limbs.

The only problem is once ya got that figured out then you start changing taper rates, length,adding power lams... and  you get to thinking again " now what is the best riser angle for these limbs?" and it all starts over again...

Good luck and keep us posted with what ya do
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©