Author Topic: Gave up on building a recurve BUT  (Read 439 times)

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
Gave up on building a recurve BUT
« on: March 13, 2015, 04:27:00 PM »
I've wanted a bow short enough to shoot out of my pop up blind and my longbows are too long at 64". I just finished a new set of limbs for my grandson's belly mounted limb longbow since he grew out of the old limbs. Anyway I can build a 60" longbow with belly mounted limbs that will work and possibly with a little more research get one to 58" that will draw smooth to my 28 1/2" draw length.
Here is the estimated 60" bow force draw curve for what I'm thinking.

But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gave up on building a recurve BUT
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 04:29:00 PM »
Here is the estimated force draw curve for my grandson's belly mounted long bow compared to the actual measured force draw curve.
These measurements are based off the amo measuring method. The actual brace height is 9". The estimated bow is close enough to the real thing for me to trust Supertiller plus it is hard to get the exact measurements on my tree.
Supertiller estimated force draw curve.

The actual measured force draw curve.

But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 07:53:00 PM »
Looks like it will work for a 58" bow too but that may be the extent of what I can get out of this unless I increase the limb pad angle.

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 09:07:00 PM »
Why not try a "horse" bow design?  I have a horn composite that's like 52" and draws to 36".  It's insanely awesome in close situations.  Look at Korean trad archery for some cues.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 09:14:00 PM »
Ive thought about trying that design but I'd have to start from scratch. New form, wasted test bows that don't work, all before coming up with a shooter. This way I can use what I've already fought with and made work. But boy its tempting for sure!!!

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 10:19:00 AM »
I agree with halfseminole.  If you want the best in a short bow look at the Asian 'horsebows'.  My 48" Scythian draws smooth to 28" and weighs well under a pound.  

The form cost me $6 for a length of 2x12 and some 1/4 dowel.  Rubber bands were free from a bike shop.  It took one prototype (2 pieces of glass and one junk lam) and the use of the Lam Stack Calculator to get my desired draw weight.

I'll send you a tracing of the limbs if you like.

Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 10:32:00 AM »
Dang it Ken your posts have been the ones that have given me the itch to build an asian bow but so far I've been able to resist. BUT now I'm in trouble    :help:  So please send me a tracing.
Here are some pictures of my grandson's bow. I will be redesigning the riser and making it a 13" riser. Then I have to get some more glass before I start building this new one for myself. I'm also waiting for more information on the glass supplier from Europe that is supposed to have good clear glass. Depends a lot on cost too.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 08:54:00 PM »
Galen, that riser is truly eye candy!
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 10:35:00 PM »
PM me your streetmail address and I'll have it in the mail to you on Monday...  If you let me know what draw weight you're looking for, I'll run the numbers on the Stack Calculator that will get you pretty darn close.
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 11:00:00 PM »
Can't stack calculate anything, but if you want measurements of my short bow let me know.  Glad to help you.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 09:08:00 AM »
Ed thank you for the offer lets see what I get from Ken

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 08:38:00 PM »
I love your grandsons longbow.  I hope you build one with the 13' riser I would love to see the outcome.  Bet it would be a great bow.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 11:36:00 PM »
I really never liked the belly mount takedowns, but this bow changes everything.

I really like the riser design, seems to really streamline the riser which tends t be chunky with the belly mount designs.

Can't wait to see what you come up with. I also hunt from blinds mostly, and I have the same trouble you do ... Many of my bows just don't fit in there. It's been pushing me into that same 58-60" size range you're talking about.

Good luck!

Offline Charlie Hinkel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 07:07:00 PM »
I like the looks of your Grandsons bow, it has stirred something inside me! Thanks for sharing!
An hour in the shop is worth two in the yard

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 10:22:00 PM »
This is what I've been doing with sketchup. I'm leaning toward the one on the bottom as it's not so clunky looking. Any comments or suggestions?

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 11:48:00 PM »
I agree with the bottom one.  It looks very good, the lines seem to flow together.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 08:51:00 AM »
Thanks Jess. It's simplicity seems to grow on me.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2015, 02:09:00 PM »
I like the bottom one too.
...but..I do like the higher grip you designed in the color pic.
justa crazy thought..if you like the high grip of the colored pic AND the riser shape and longer limb pads of the bottom one, could you build up the base of the lower limb (using the lower pic's overall design)  with wood AFTER the limb is glued up?
Then bolt em on and shape a high grip into that built up section?

..just an out of the box thought..   :knothead:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2015, 07:17:00 PM »
Zradix I can do that because I glue on an overlay to cover the T-nuts and on the lower riser I intend to extend the limb right up to the low part of the grip and shape the limb butt to the grip shape I want. I'm moving away from high grips because it causes me to put a lot of pressure with my palm which increases the pressure on the bottom limb. I found that my out with my high speed videos. I was having to use a very high nock height to keep my arrows from porpoising. It was caused by the high grip. Check out the   Tradgang video thread

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2015, 07:25:00 PM »
I see.
Thank you for sharing.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©