Author Topic: Going To Make a Bow  (Read 319 times)

Offline Goingbuddha

• Trad Bowhunter
Going To Make a Bow
« on: March 17, 2015, 02:30:00 PM »
Greetings:   I've been lurking here, and on other sites, and I'm preparing to make my first bow.  I have chosen to purchase a kit from Binghams.  I have also purchased a small-ish bandsaw as well as a combination disc-belt sander.   My reason for posting is this:  I would like to inset a wooden medallion on the back of the bow.  The ones I'm thinking of using are about 1-1/2" in diameter but can be made slightly smaller.   My question is, should I use a forstner bit for the hole?  Also, how should I finish...pour some sort of resin on top to fill smooth?
Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Peace.
Eugene

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Going To Make a Bow
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 04:46:00 PM »
That's a big medallion. Most medallions and compasses I've seen on bows are on the side of the riser. If you attach it to the back of the bow, it has to be where there will be no movement at all. If the bow flexes even a little, it could pop off. Also, depending on the medallions thickness, it could weaken the bow.
Another place I have seen a compass on a bow is on the heel of the riser beneath the grip.
Welcome to the addiction. There's no cure you know...
What part of the country are you in?
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline Goingbuddha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 05:29:00 PM »
I'm in Nova Scotia.   Very Rural.   I don't have to have the medallion on the back.  Side works for me, too.   Just something to somewhat personalize the beast.   My family and I all are shooting Samick bows.  This one will be for my father in law who has issues with his #50 longbow.  I have 2.5 acres mowed for an archery range with about a dozen targets.  All under 5 feet of snow at the moment.  More coming tonight.   Life is.

Eugene

Offline Charlie Hinkel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 07:03:00 PM »
Like Woodcarver2 said, welcome! I hope they never find a cure for this, because I love IT! Binghams has great stuff and instructions. Follow what they say to the letter and you will do well!  I know what you mean about the snow, I live in Maine, not too far from you. My brother used to live in Lunenburg, I love it there!
An hour in the shop is worth two in the yard

Offline Goingbuddha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 07:13:00 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes.  Charlie:  I imagine you're as sick of this weather as I am.  This is way worse than the year we got White Juan, the snow hurricane.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©