3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New to site.......  (Read 498 times)

Offline BukWild

• Trad Bowhunter
New to site.......
« on: March 05, 2008, 11:54:00 AM »
and new to traditional archery.  I fell in love with shooting a recurve not long ago and am searching for one.  I was sent here by a member of another forum I am on.

I have a question to ask, I have someone trying to sell me a Wing Red Wing Hunter #40, or Archery Traditions 65# longbow, or Ben Pearson Pro Staff #71 longbow.  I know nothing about these really, but would appreciate any input to what they may be worth, he says all are in excellent condition.
I am also looking at a Browning Wasp @ 50# at for $130, is that a fair price?

Sorry to be such a bother, but I am completely ignorant to the traditional stuff, only know compounds.  Thanks!

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New to site.......
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 11:59:00 AM »
Welcome to the site!  :wavey:  

If you are new to traditional archery, probably the only bow you mentioned that would be a good fit for you would be the #40 Wing.  The Wasp is priced fairly but may be too heavy for you to start with.  The others would be way too heavy for the majority of long term trad shooters and certainly would not be for a beginner.

Have fun!
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Java Man

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 11:59:00 AM »
Dave,

Welcome aboard.    :campfire:  

I would suggest the 40# Red Wing or the 50# Browning.  The other two bows are very likely too heavy for a new trad shooter.  You need to develop good form first.  Then work up in weight if you wish.  JMHO.

Gregg
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 12:03:00 PM »
Not a bother at all - you've come to the right place for more information than you thought possible!  Of the options you listed the 40# Red Wing would be my first choice.  Browning Wasp second.  The reason for that is the low draw weights will help you learn good shooting form much easier when starting out.  The other two in my opinion, are much to heavy to begin with at least.  The biggest mistake most people new to traditional bows make is starting with a bow that is too heavy.
I don't know much about the Wasp personally, so not sure if $130 is a good deal or not, but if it is in good shape it probably is.  What draw weight do you shoot now?  I would suggest dropping 15-20# lower than whatever weight you might be shooting with a compound.
As you get more into this you will have one question after another.  Keep them coming!  We love to help new guys!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline hera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 12:06:00 PM »
Welcome.

40# is a good choice.go up slowly.

Offline Featherbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 12:07:00 PM »
I'd go with the Red wing Hunter first then look  at the Browning Wasp.  You dont want too much weight to start off with, just something to get use to.

And dont worry about bothering us, we look foward to hearing from people like you, new to traditioanl archery.
Have fun  :clapper:
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. - Tribe Unknown

Southern Traditional Archery

Offline BukWild

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »
Well, that's just it, I shoot 70# compound, and I have been told to go about 20 down from that, but the Red Wing is only 40#, I want something to shoot and gain confidence with, but also possibly be able to hunt with.

Offline Hoytman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »
I would stay away from the 60 # and 70# bows for a while. I too am just starting to take the traditional side more seriously. But have been shooting for years. One of my compounds I shoot at 97# @ 30% let-off. Which is over 65 lbs. holding weight. I shoot 55# recurve easily, but I am having a tuff time be consistant with a 66# recurve I bought recently.
I would also make up my mind to go recurve or long bow before you buy. Guys on here that know much more than I do will probably tell you that there is a big difference between the two. Simply, Recurves you shoot thru the bow. Long bows you shoot around the bow. I would like to shoot a long bow, but it is enough to stay up on a compound with sight pins and a release, and a recurve.
Spend a little time looking and you'll get a feel for the brands and used prices.
I just bought 2 bows. one a $600 bow 2 years old excellant condition, $200.
One a $500 bow a little older in excellant condition, $100.
Both were great deals and maybe not typical.
Good Luck.
PS. If you do see a good deal, it will probably be gone before you act. So if you see what you're looking for, snatch it up.
" without humor, nothing would seem funny."

Offline Son of Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 01:18:00 PM »
welcome    :thumbsup:

Offline dtgiacomini

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »
Welcome, I also am new to trad archery,(just got a 50lb Bear around December).I have learned so much from these guys.  Good luck, and have fun.

Offline dtgiacomini

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 01:38:00 PM »
Welcome, I also am new to trad archery,(just got a 50lb Bear around December).I have learned so much from these guys.  Good luck, and have fun.

Offline Lizard lick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 02:39:00 PM »
Hello out there and what those guys said dido and WELCOME this is a great site

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 02:45:00 PM »
Welcome and I would go with the 40er or better yet take a look in the classifieds. There are plenty of good bows listed there.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 06:58:00 PM »
Hi there-Hap

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 07:25:00 PM »
:wavey:    :campfire:    :archer:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline scriv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 07:52:00 PM »
Welcome aboard!  Been shooting forever, most guys at work call me "Big fella".  6'2" 260 lbs.  I am not afraid to say that I have a very expensive custom on order.  #37@28".  Go with the wing if it is in good shape.  You may never want more.
Shoot strait and have fun!

Toelke Whip
Black Widow PLX
A&H ACS-CX
Hoyt Formula RX

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©