Author Topic: Tillering Tree Question  (Read 929 times)

Offline ColonelSandersLite

• Trad Bowhunter
Tillering Tree Question
« on: March 18, 2015, 10:57:00 PM »
So, how many of you are using a 2 pulley system vs a 1 pulley system?  Your thoughts?

I'm considering trying double pulleys out soon for a few reasons, all of which revolve around the idea of halving the pull weight while doubling the travel.

The lower pull weight should reduce fatigue during the tillering process, making it easier to keep tillering for longer.  Though part of me suspects that doubling the distance you need to pull the rope to get the same effect could be counterproductive in this regard.  I would have to try it to form an actual opinion on validity.

Being easier to pull and having to pull twice as far for the same effect should make it easier to come to a specific draw distance and hold it steady, giving both a more accurate draw distance measurement and a more accurate poundage measurement.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tillering Tree Question
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 11:32:00 PM »
I've always used a single pulley. Never had a reason for a double, even when tillering a 95@30" yew ELB.
 I like to be able to set the bow on the tree, hook up the rope, exercise the bow well and step back and look at and mark stiff and weak spots and not hold the bow at a static draw for more than a few seconds. It would take twice as long with a double pulley system I'd think.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 12:30:00 AM »
Never had a reason for more than one pulley.  Seems to me the logistics of pulling 56-58" instead of 28-29" would be counter productive.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 01:54:00 AM »
One pulley.  I don't draw the bow much past 40 pounds on the tree anyway.
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 05:33:00 AM »
I have 4 pulleys.... all on the same shaft down by the floor :^)

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 05:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bowjunkie:
Doesn't count.

Offline Robyn Hode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 06:39:00 AM »
I use a two pulley system and love it. It greatly reduces fatigue. I don't actually think I'm pulling the rope any farther now then I did with a one pulley system. I never really thought about it. I just now it is a lot easier for me.
'Nothing's forgotten... nothing's ever forgotten' - Robin of Sherwood

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 06:50:00 AM »
I use two pulleys, and like it.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 07:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by Robyn Hode:
I don't actually think I'm pulling the rope any farther now then I did with a one pulley system. I never really thought about it.
You are, it's basic physics.  For every factor of mechanical advantage your pulley system yields (2 in this case), you must also multiply the distance traveled by the same.  It's definitely possible to rig up a tillering tree that would increase this factor to 4 or even more, but that probably falls well past the point of diminishing returns.

Here's a simple primer:
  http://www.explainthatstuff.com/pulleys.html

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 08:16:00 AM »
Um, tillering is great exercise.  If you fatigue from tillering, you need to do something about your upper body/cardio conditioning.  You should also take the stairs and accept the parking spot the farthest from the door.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 08:42:00 AM »
Yeah, I like one pulley and never got tired while exercising the limbs, even on the heavy bows and I work em a lot. I often pull it, hold it with one hand, lean in, mark a spot needing work, and keep going. That might be impossible to do if I had to pull the string twice as far???

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 09:09:00 AM »
one pulley-x2 wot Jon said
for me- if i needed more than a pulley, i might be questioning whether i could shoot the bow all day.

unless of course yunz real old, tired and hide out in Pa, then maybe two pulleys are ok    :laughing:

Offline J.F. Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 10:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bowjunkie:
what do you use four pulleys for? I can see two, on for split finger, one for three under holds. even a third pulley if you wanted to look at a bow from both directions by flipping 180* in the cradle. why four? I need to improve my pulley. I hate the squeaky one I pilfered from an old extension ladder, but it works. is there such a thing as a pulley with bearings built in that I can just bolt the bottom of my tree?
"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 10:27:00 AM »
sailing shops will have "blocks"- sometimes called "snatch blocks' ( careful now   :D    :D  )
 that are designed to work under load- and have an attachment hook.
but the super system like BJ and Roy use- are two pillar blocks and a shaft with pulleys locked onto the shaft .

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 10:54:00 AM »
Jamie I used two pillow blocks and a half inch steel shaft then used a regular pulley that I slide left or right for split or three under.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 11:26:00 AM »
Here's my cheap a$$ way of doing it. I just slide the paracord to put the pulley inline with the bow shelf.

But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 11:37:00 AM »
I use a single 1.5" pulley. But, I never use my tree for tillering so fatigue isn't an issue  :)

Offline J.F. Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 01:29:00 PM »
can I buy pillow blocks and keyed shafting at local hardware store or Tractor Supply or something? looks like an excellent set up.   :thumbsup:    better than what I have now, for sure.
"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 01:51:00 PM »
Yup.. I just bought a straight round 1/2" shaft, then ground a flat spot on it for my set screw on the pulley to affix it to the shaft. I just slide my one pulley left or right for split or three under tillering. Or you could use two pulleys.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 02:01:00 PM »
Jamie, mine looks like Roy's, but with 4 pulleys... simply so I don't have to move them each time. If I want to flip the bow and look at the other side, I just do it... takes seconds. The 2 outer pulleys are for split finger holds and the 2 inner are for 3 under.

I used a 1/2" piece of drill rod for the shaft. The shaft doesn't need a keyway broached in it. The pulleys are held to the shaft with allen head set screws.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©