Author Topic: My new techno tillering tree (finished)  (Read 482 times)

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
My new techno tillering tree (finished)
« on: March 18, 2015, 11:46:00 PM »
Working on coping Roy and Bowjunkie's tree ideas. Mines a bit different but still working on it. Setting it up to get an accurate weight per inch. I'll get more pictures later. Anyway a tree needs lights right.

But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My new techno tillering tree (finished)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 12:04:00 AM »
Just like a tillering Christmas tree!
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 01:51:00 AM »
Cool!  Bet that puts you in the bow building mood.    :)
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 05:45:00 AM »
Nice Ben. Thought provoking too. I'm going to redesign mine soon and yours got me thinking about a few things I hadn't before.

Offline ColonelSandersLite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 05:55:00 AM »
Where's the subwoofer?

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 06:41:00 AM »
Pretty slick ole boy..   :)

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 11:15:00 AM »
I drilled 1/4" holes every inch and made a stop that plugs into the holes. I made a holder for my scale that saves the highest reading. This will allow the scale to come against the stop and give me a consistent lb per inch measurement.
Getting closer but still more work to do. By the way I didn't put pulleys on the shaft at the bottom. I'm cheap so I used the pulley from an unused block and tackle and used paracord lashed to shaft. This way I can slide it left or right to match the shelf on the bow and pull in a straight line. Still working on mounting the lazer in a way that might work and yet be out of the way.

But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 11:18:00 AM »
Here's the pulley at the bottom

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 09:35:00 PM »
Pretty much have it finished. I ended up going to a 2 pulley system because of the way I had the bottom pulley attached it would pull away from the  tree risking pulling the bow off. I do need to add a way to clamp the bow to the tree so it doesn't get pulled off. The cradle can be flipped to use the low spot on the grip for measuring the weight for a force draw curve. I didn't have any good bows so I cobbled this together from a couple of broken bows so I'd have something to test with. The tiller on this is 1/4" positive and setup to pull split it pulls the nocking point left as it's pulled down. Thanks Roy and Bowjockie for your help.

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 09:58:00 PM »
Nice lookin rig Benbow!
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 10:13:00 PM »
Pretty slick! You are going to have to let me check that out sometine
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 10:18:00 PM »
Any time Ralph  :)

Offline Robyn Hode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 11:02:00 PM »
Very nice. My tree is similar to Roy's as well. You're gonna love it.
'Nothing's forgotten... nothing's ever forgotten' - Robin of Sherwood

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 11:11:00 PM »
The light takes my eyes away from the limbs bending, Ben! But it is very cool!

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2015, 09:52:00 AM »
Now I have to make one of Eric's tillering gizmos and I'll be ready to make saw dust

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2015, 12:25:00 PM »
Very nice.  I have been working on one as well, I used a 5/8" threaded rod at the bottom.  I have nuts on either side of the pulley and can adjust it right or left and lock in place with the nuts.  So far so good, I still need to put something on the cradle to keep the bow level when I draw it.  Thanks for sharing with us.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2015, 12:40:00 PM »
Jess this really helps. I put this bow together from scrap parts and it amazingly came out pretty good. It had a 1/4" positive tiller and when I pulled it on the tree it would pull towards the bottom limb. I sanded off the width on the bottom limb until it pulled straight and ended up with an 1/8" positive. Shoots great and puts the bare shaft in the center of the group at 25 yards. And this is a junk parts bow.     :bigsmyl:
Here's the FD curve using the new tree and scale method.

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2015, 08:20:00 PM »
Cool.  Did you shoot it before adjusting the tiller and if so can you detect a noticeable difference.  I have the force draw spread sheet and use it all the time.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2015, 11:31:00 PM »
I shot it before Jess and it got quieter and my bare shaft hit with the group out to 30 yards

Offline ColonelSandersLite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2015, 10:07:00 PM »
You know, I really like that cradle a lot, but it's just too overcomplicated for my needs for me to justify implementing it.  I dunno though, if I ever start getting into trying a variety of grip styles, I just might have to copy that idea.  That FD curve setup is pretty sweet too.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©