Author Topic: Question for wood bow builders  (Read 590 times)

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
Question for wood bow builders
« on: March 21, 2015, 08:55:00 PM »
I've got a 10" diameter at the base by 20' long branch I have to cut off my mulberry tree. Once its down I'll cut it to 80" lengths. Should I split it right away into staves or what. I'm thinking I'll save some that I can cut into laminations for glass bows. So I need help in knowing whats the best way to keep from wasting this? Thanks!
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question for wood bow builders
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 10:04:00 PM »
hundred of different opinions.
but this is what i would do- choose the better cleaner side- and possibly the tension side- if both were equally clean, then split it in half, make the tension side into staves, and saw the other up into blanks for lams.
i always like to mark which is top and which is bottom when cutting a branch- so the tension and compression sides are clearly distinguished. dont mix them into the same board, other wise you will have increased movement in the wood when drying.
unless of course it is a straight up and down branch- then i would be looking to see if the heart is on center, and then if it is off center, treat the "thinner" side as the stave material- it will be denser, and it would be wasted on lams, and be better for staves.

cut them a bit oversize, and seal the ends, then sticker them in a cool, wind free place, until equilibrium mc is reached, then you can chase the moisture a bit-
when you sticker and stack them, put a weight on the top to help stop the top boards from warping.
i would cut them into 2 x 2 's that would give me the option to use them in either direction, and would facilitate quicker drying.
you can build a very simple kiln too, with some builders plastic, a de humidifier and after a while a light bulb or two for heat- but not until the high mc has dropped a bit- rush the moisture out early on, you run the risk of case hardening the wood, and also checking it like crazy.
the knotty side will make for prettier lams too.
 thats just how i do my re sawing on my logs.
there are some good u tube videos to make a plywood sled in order to resaw accurately on your bandsaw- will see if i can find one.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 10:14:00 PM »

theres a bunch of them, i just grabbed the first one

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 07:30:00 AM »
Fujimo nailed it. That's exactly how I approach it.

I would cut it shorter than 80", down to about 70" if it meant I could get another length of log 3 or 6' long.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 07:50:00 AM »
If you decide to keep some staves around as well, Id suggest knifing the bark and sapwood off right away. Then seal the back and ends and store them somewhere cool and a bit damp, like a basement. Rapid drying will rupture the side and laminar checks will abound.

I ruined 20 +/- osage staves by splitting them one night and leaving them in our garage until the next night. That 24 hours of summer heat was enough to ruin all of them.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 08:14:00 AM »
Ewww MAN, that would suck!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 08:20:00 AM »
Still disgusted with me Jeff, I knew better. These where hand picked logs to boot.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 08:40:00 AM »
I did the same on the best osage log I ever cut, it was completely knot free, arrow straight with perfect rings.

I split it, pealed the bark off, sealed the back and ends with wood glue and put it in an outside garage (closed up) in an Alabama summer.

A few weeks later I went out to look at my prize haul and found every piece had checked from the back to the belly, you could drop a dime in most of the checks.

This was a tough lesson to learn the hard way about osage seasoning. I still feel violated when I think of those perfect staves I turned into firewood.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 08:48:00 AM »
Dang I live in New Mexico and it's the high desert. We've been getting some rain but the humidity drops to the teens during the day and will be in the single digits soon. How about stacking them and covering them with a wet blanket or something like that. Thanks guys. Just finished my new gizmo Eric so I want something to use it on  :)
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 11:50:00 AM »
That's a tough self bow area Ben. Hickory would excel, no doubt. Id suggest keeping them indoors if you don't have a cool basement. The dry air isn't as bad as the intense mid day heat in a garage.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 11:51:00 AM »
Oh, and don't use any wet blankets. That just breeds mildew and you don't want that either.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 05:42:00 PM »
Hmm I wonder if my wife would notice if I'd hide them under the bed.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 06:03:00 PM »
That's the driest spot in most house's. I stash staves under ours in humid summer weather.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2015, 06:36:00 PM »
bathrooms can be a good place- just trying to rehydrate.

what about a mini greenhouse type enclosure, that could serve multi purposes
1. with a de humidifier as a kiln
2. with a humidifier as a stabiliser
3. as a dust free environment for spraying bows

if you had the space- maybe 8' long, 4' wide and 8' high. light wooden, or steel frame, covered with builders plastic. just an idea!   :rolleyes:

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 03:12:00 AM »
Like Fujimo's above idea. I use my hotbox as a place that I can control the humidity/temperature. A bucket of water in a confined space will raise the r.h. to a safer level.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 11:40:00 AM »
Well I got the branch down but it was only 8" around. Looked bigger in the tree. Also it's twisted quite a bit and has several crotch areas.
It would take someone with a twisted personality, crotchety, and experience to make bows out of this. I've got the twisted personality but not the experience. Roy do you want this???    :laughing:
Anyway here are some pictures. I think I'll try cutting it into lengths that I could possibly make glass bow laminations with. The crotch areas might make nice figured veneers. Thanks for taking the time to help me with this and any more suggestions are enjoyed and appreciated.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2015, 12:51:00 PM »
By the way Roy I am assuming you have skin as tough as mesquite but more heartwood than sapwood. But if at any time I step over the line be sure to let me know.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2015, 01:06:00 PM »
Just go play with the crotch area..  :)  LMAO

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2015, 01:42:00 PM »
LOL

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2015, 01:52:00 PM »
That's no good for selfys Ben. Id make lams with it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©