Author Topic: B50 vs B55 Streeetchh?  (Read 1479 times)

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: B50 vs B55 Streeetchh?
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2015, 11:40:00 PM »
Can you guys tell me what B75 is like compared to B50..  Found a write up here........
 http://www.africanarcher.com/bowstrings2.html

one thing mentioned is that the string stretch is easier on wood bows as it does not shock the limbs. Is this true...?

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2015, 09:46:00 AM »
Wolf, B75 was a flop!

String stretch actually does more harm, causing the bow to absorb more energy. Energy that needs to be directed to the ammo, the arrow!

Arrow weight, too light for bow weight, dry fire, also releases to much energy back to bow.

H.P. strings and proper arrow weight are a good choice with wood bows! Hand shock, quiet shot,  and energy transformed to an arrow, heavy in weight for hunting are my requirements!

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2015, 10:32:00 AM »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2015, 10:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by frank bullitt:
String stretch actually does more harm, causing the bow to absorb more energy. Energy that needs to be directed to the ammo, the arrow!

If only we could get more people to wrap their minds around that Frank.

Offline jhk1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2015, 11:11:00 AM »
A couple of years ago I talked to an old bowyer that told me he (or maybe it was another bowyer) did an experiment where they dry fired similar bows, one with a B50 string and one with a fast-flight string.  They said that the bow with the fast-flight string broke (limb shattered) after several dry fires, but the bow with the B50 string was dry fired repeatedly without breaking.

Is it possible that a B50/B55 string is easier on a bow than an HP string in a dry-fire situation?  With a dry fire, it seems to me that a B50/B55 string would absorb more of the energy than an HP string, leaving somewhat less energy to be absorbed by the limbs.

When firing an arrow, it makes sense that with an HP string, more energy is delivered to the arrow.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2015, 12:45:00 PM »
Jhk1, that's interesting but maybe did not go far enough.  Maybe they actually measured the relative integrity of the two bows.  Wonder what would have happened if they then put the low stretch string on the bow that held up with the B50?
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2015, 09:52:00 AM »
All I can tell you is about 4 years back, I tried D-10 and never looked back.  I have had far less returns for delams or tips coming off since making the switch.  I used to get 2 or 3 delaminations a year, now I maybe get one every 2 years.  

I used to be of the mind set that Dacron was as good as anyone needed, the low stretch string was all a bunch of hype, and the additional 5-10 fps speed increase didn't justify the extra price.  But I've found I spend less on string material for my business than I did using Dacron.  There's better performance and less vibration.  I would not have switched over if the results weren't amazing.  

But as with any other material, don't use too many strands.  Up to 40# I only use 8 strands, 10 strands for 50#-55# and 12 for 60#.  just make certain your tips are designed for it with nice rounded string groove going around the backs of the tips, with no corners or flat spots.  Otherwise pad the tips with extra strands.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2015, 12:21:00 PM »
When I use B50, Annie helps me pre stretch it..

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2015, 02:13:00 PM »
So, I either switch or get a dog!  :)   I like dogs but don't like dog poo!
Monterey

Offline Alan Johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2015, 07:20:00 PM »
Ok... this is ALL going to be my opinion only... based on limited experience with dyneema in other areas of endeavor and polyester (Dacron) specifically for bowstrings as well as other things.

Dyneema is micromolecular polypropylene, polypro is the stuff in that really low cost, low quality rope that always frays with lots of sun exposure. Now the micromole form is MUCH stronger that the regular, but still polypro. As many of you know. My biggest issue is with the UV vulnerability. I spend lots of time roving and, in FL, the UV is right up there at flamethrower levels. So I just can't bring myself to trust it so much. Keep in mind, JUST my opinion.
Dacron, polyester, is much more UV resistant. I prefer B-50 for the same colorfastness issues raised previously, and having a LOT of German heritage going, I tend to overbuild my strings. A little longer in the strand lengths, a bit more length to the loop and splice-together areas, etc. The one thing that I do before getting serious about tuning is to twist the string to about where I think it needs to be, and then loop it onto a hook that I've got screwed into a post and then stretch the bejeezus out of it before ever putting it on the bow. The ONLY string I've ever had elongate on me is the one that I recently made for an osage stickbow that pulls 100 @ 27" that I'm almost able to shoot properly.
Sermon ends....... :-)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2015, 07:50:00 PM »
A-men. LOL

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2015, 06:44:00 AM »
But , I  still don't understand the dislike for Dacron?

:confused:  

Good morning!

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2015, 02:04:00 PM »
I do have two Granddogs that sometimes stay overnight.  A schweenie (yeah, I know, what the h*** kind of dog is that?  Well, its a dachshund chiuawawa {Sp} mix) and a golden lab.  Like grandkids, one of the nice things about them is  eventually, they go home.  :)
Monterey

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2015, 02:50:00 PM »
I personally like Dacron, but I like D-10, D-97, etc. more.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline mzombek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2015, 03:27:00 PM »
I thought about going to FF from B50. The only problem, because I make my bows, I am not sure if my bows can stand up to FF. What are the requirements of a RD or HH style bow to handle FF?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©