Author Topic: Making my first bow. A few questions!  (Read 213 times)

Offline willthearcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Making my first bow. A few questions!
« on: April 04, 2015, 07:37:00 PM »
Hi guys. Cody at Tenbrook Archery recommended I post here and ask a couple questions. Long story short, I’m a grad student building a longbow for a design class. I have to make it out of wood and metal.

I want to make a 3 piece takedown longbow. I would cast the central grip out of aluminum (it’s actually fairly light) and make the two limbs out of a wood laminate. Probably bamboo and ipe. Cody and I decided for my first bow it would probably be best to keep it a straight bow. So my grip mounts will be straight (no reflex) as well the bow limbs, and it’ll have that old school D shape when I string it.

I’m planning on following the process at  makingtraditionalongbows.com  to make the wood laminate of bamboo and ipe. I still have a few questions.
  • How long would you recommend the riser be? Cody recommended I try about an 18” riser.
  • How long should the bow be in total? I’m a 6 foot tall athletic male. Cody recommended 70” nock to nock.
  • The cross section. Some sites, like the makingtraditionalbows I'm planning on following, round it off into a D cross section. Others keep the cross section rectangular. Which should I go with?
  • Most importantly, the directions on makingtraditionalbows.com (and everyplace else I’ve looked) are for making a one-stave bow. To make two separate limbs, should I follow the directions and then cut it in half at the centerline? I could then take off about ~6 inches on the end of each limb to preserve the 70” length when I mounted them to my riser. I’m not sure if there’s something I’m missing here though.

Any and all advice appreciated. Thanks!

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Making my first bow. A few questions!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 02:56:00 AM »
what Cody said
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline willthearcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Making my first bow. A few questions!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 12:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by JamesV:
what Cody said
Haha thanks. I'm fine with going with Cody's recommendations for the knock length and riser length. The big unanswered question is about the two bow limbs.

I figure I could make a one-piece like most of the tutorials do, then cut the two limbs off leaving the handle area. Then mount those to my riser and tiller. It's the best idea I've got so far but wondered if anyone would recommend another method.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©