Author Topic: Drum Sander Questions  (Read 337 times)

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
Drum Sander Questions
« on: April 13, 2015, 10:40:00 AM »
Ok folks.  After years of avoiding getting an edge sander I finally broke down and got myself one.  Wow, I surely didn't know what I was missing until I got one!  So now I am thinking of getting a drum sander.  I know you folks like the Grizzly line and in particular their Baby Drum #GO459.  Why do you prefer the closed end drums to an open end that allows larger panels?

FYI: I do a lot more woodworking than just build bows. So I am considering their model#GO458 accordingly.  

Thanks in advance.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Drum Sander Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 11:39:00 AM »
I have the G0716 and love it. I need to have my stuff on wheels so that was why I chose it over the Baby. You can take the side piece off to open it up. That being said, bigger is better so your choice looks great!
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 05:08:00 PM »
when one end is open IT WILL DEFLECT no matter what anybody has to say about it, period .....
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 05:52:00 PM »
Get what will prove to be the most valuable for all your woodworking. I have an open sided Delta and have measured no difference across the width of the lams.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 06:02:00 PM »
I have the G0716 model because I also do more than build bows in my shop. I would have liked the larger model, but this is what fit in my limited space. The closed drum will have no deflection, but the amount of deflection on the small machines is practically negligible on narrow parts like lams.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 06:40:00 PM »
I didn't like the open end.

Offline snapper1d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 08:08:00 PM »
Mark Daniel Thumbs up on his comment!

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 03:47:00 AM »
I looked at that one myself. Decided on the baby drum, because it seemed like it would be a better fit in my shop. Let us know how it works for you.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 07:19:00 AM »
Even non cantilever style drums can sand un evenly and if you handle them properly, the cantilever will work fine.

I left those many years ago and would sell everything but my dog to replace my widebelt if it went down.

BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 08:44:00 AM »
Jim,

I respect and appreciate your advice.  I'm curious as to how wide is your wide belt sander?  I'm not sure I can afford a stationary commercial wide belt sander.  Is that what you have?

Those of you with open drum units, how often do you actually use it open?  By running wide stock in two different directions, does it show up on the wood like a planer does? (With the grain then against the grain.)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©