Author Topic: Fiberglass recurve build questions  (Read 442 times)

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
Fiberglass recurve build questions
« on: April 14, 2015, 01:40:00 PM »
I have built several selfbows and backed bows.  Most bamboo and hickory backed bows with simple reflex glued in.  

So I have a heat box built, and want to build a three piece takedown with fiberglass backing.

But, I am vein at heart and love pretty wood limbs, so I don't want to build a black limbed bow which I hear is the easiest.  I do not have any tools to center and drill the limbs.  Or anything to help me with the angle of the riser.  

What do I need to get this started?  Is it harder, easier than selfbows?

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fiberglass recurve build questions
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 06:32:00 PM »
Go with a Bingham design and their products, except for their limb drilling jig. You can get a self centering jig for cheap at Harbor Freight. Its not the best but way better than the Bingham one.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline cunruhshoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 12:18:00 AM »
X2 on the Bingham design I use the pronounced r/d and it really makes a nice longbow - I have not built a recurve. I have been using the Bingham limb drilling jig and yes it can lead you slightly adrift...which can be frustrating.  I may check out the Harbor Freight version...Thanks beachbowhunter for that tip...
As Iron sharpens Iron so one person sharpens another...Prov. 27:17

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 02:23:00 AM »
A way to cut your form and a router with a bearing guided flat cutter to get it flat and true.
Also a blade for your bandsaw that you aren't particular about.
It's critical that everything is perfectly straight and your forms curve doesn't have even the hint of a flat spot.
Good ventilation and a good dust mask/respirator.
Tillering....well if you copy Binghams plans you shouldn't need much!

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 10:48:00 AM »
So, bingham sells a form design?

I use 3/4" very rough bandsaw blades for my selfbows.  I guess I would want to drop that to 1/4 fine.

Also, I use innertubes for boo and hickory glue ups.  Do I need to use a firehose compression?  I of course do not want air bubbles under the glass.

I do have several forms I use for boo glue ups.  Not that particular on them, because I tiller out the issues on the belly.  I guess that's the critical part on glass bows?

On the riser, how does one get the angle perfect on the limb pockets?  Just eye ball?

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 05:47:00 PM »
Biggie, I suggest you use the search function and look at all of the "build'alongs". There is a ton of good information with lots of pictures. I learned a whole lot by doing that.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline TradBowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 08:27:00 PM »
if you are going to build fiberglass bows, don't scimp on the tools or materials for the form...it will cost you a lot of money if you do. At a minimum you are going to need a bandsaw, a sander, a drill (drill press is better) and some kind of jig to drill the holes. your form needs to be made of some kind of material that will  not warp under heat or pressure...multiple layers of plywood glued and screwed together work fine. your form has to be absolutely perfect or your bows will not come out...must be flat, square and smooth. for recurves, use the fire hose, you can get by with the inner tubes on flat limb longbows but I wouldn't trust it on recurves. for the riser angles, I draw a centerline on the riser, cut my angles out then take 2 straight edges and lay them on the angles so they cross each other. they should intersect exactly on the centerline. be prepared to put out at least $250 for your first one in the materials to build forms, epoxy, etc and bow materials. go inexpensive your first one..ash riser, maple cores and black glass. for fancy limbs, riser and clear glass and misc materials you are going to be $150+ pretty easily

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 07:35:00 AM »
Hey Mark, good seeing back here!

I have a Bingham recurve blue print at home, if your interested.

Give me a holler.

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 10:08:00 AM »
Thanks mr. bullitt.  I was thinking about you the other day.

I was shooting that IPE/Boo that I wrapped with that sinew, still going strong after a few years.

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 12:41:00 PM »
Hey Mark, that's cool. Glad to hear your still shootin it!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©