3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Field tip & BH wts. Is this normal?  (Read 383 times)

Offline Butts2

• Trad Bowhunter
Field tip & BH wts. Is this normal?
« on: March 05, 2008, 02:29:00 PM »
Purchased some heavier Stos BHs (because I like them)and due to all the Ashby studies I have been reading I increased my field tips also. There was no stamped number for grains on the BH I could not tell them apart. Took them to work yesterday and weighed them. 145 BH weighed 141.  160 BH weighed 153
Brought my field tips in today 145 weighed 143 160 weighed 161.7. Normal?  :campfire:
Schafer Silvertip 58" 61@28
Hunter Safety Certificate
Bowhunter Safety Certificate
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Associatio
Pope & Young Club

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Field tip & BH wts. Is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 02:49:00 PM »
I would say that those weights are alright. I have had FP's and BH's weight +/- a couple grains before.

Offline herb haines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
Yup , quality control of North American broadheads suck . in same pack you can have up to 20 gr difference from one to another .
i had a customer a few years ago who was testing broadheads as he was going for Cape Buff and  wanted to us the beat broadhead he could find .
bought 39 silver Flames to test with all the rest , sent me a spread sheet of what he discovered and i was amazed at how many top named heads he had Crap written after , not sharp , fell apart , weights way off , bent on impact .Silver Flames were with in 1 gr of what they said  , he got his Buff ---- herb
"Heaven is just over the next ridge......"

Hello Darlin'

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 08:55:00 PM »
I've found that most broadheds vary by 5-10 grains, usually on the light side of their stated weight, but not always.  Can bring them all to the same weight through the sharpening process.  Field points, too, vary, but not usually as much.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 09:42:00 PM »
Your best bet is to put away the grain scale and just shoot them.  If you can shoot the difference between a 5-10 grain variation in a dozen broadheads you should try out for the Olympic team!

Seriously, the manufacturers have to make a bunch of heads in a year to stay in business, and there are lots of hands-on (in other words expensive) processes involved.  If they want to keep the prices reasonable there will be some variation.  If you want perfect heads you have to pay the price (like the $15-25 or up EACH that some outfits charge).  I wouldn't say that domestic heads "suck"....that is like saying a Ford or Chevy "sucks" when you compare it to a Ferrari.  The Ford or Chevy performs more than adequately for 99.99% of the users....as do "normal" broadheads.

Ryan

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 10:39:00 PM »
Saxton Pope and Art Young had to mark their arrows as to where they hit.  Spine was unheard of, as was broadhead matching.  I don't think you have much of a problem.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »
Just hunt with them.... they will be fine, little off but still close to be the same.

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 11:26:00 PM »
I was a little overcome by my years as a handloader when I first started making arrows and thought everything needed to be weight matched pretty close to exact.  

I purchased 2 packages of Zwickey Eskimo 125 grain broadheads (twelve in all).  Weighed them, as I was under the impression it would make a big difference (in my real life experience it doesn't).  The heaviest was 135 grains, the lightest was 128 grains, and they all fly just fine.  I can't tell any difference.  And as soon as they get sharpened a few times, they aren't the same any more anyway.  Now I still check, but don't get too concerned.

Ron

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©