Author Topic: Thinking about craftsman 14" bandsaw  (Read 526 times)

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
Thinking about craftsman 14" bandsaw
« on: May 04, 2015, 02:09:00 PM »
Looking at getting the 14" draftsman bandsaw. Saw one and it seems pretty nice. 8" resaw height, 1hp. Steel box frame instead of cast frame.
Gonna run me about $450 with the keg resaw fence including tax etc.

Any thoughts on the particular saw or fence?

I know grizzly is selling the g0555 for $555 but that's gonna be another 100 plus tax .... Budget is a concern, also, I know HP is king, but I need something that I can run on a 15amp circuit for now. Can always upgrade motor down the line and use the stock motor for something else.

It's supposed to be basically a clone of the Rikon 10-320 now discontinued. Both seem to be well reviewed.

Any recommendations regarding a fence?

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thinking about craftsman 14" bandsaw
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 05:01:00 PM »
I have two of the grizzly's and am very pleased. I checked the reviews on the 14" bandsaws before buying my second and it all pointed back to the grizzly.
I have some of their other items that serve me well and I have had some that proved to be poor performers...but for the utility bandsaw, the grizz works for me.
bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 06:14:00 PM »
I have a 14" Craftsman that has cut logs, lams, and bows for 17 years and is still going strong, but it's not the same thing they sell nowadays. Mine has a cast steel frame. I even knocked it over one day day with a big osage log.... stood it back up and kept cutting :^)

I saw Grizzly's saws. If I were to buy another, I would look very seriously at them.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 07:14:00 PM »
Grizzly used to allow monthly payments with zero interest if paid off in 6 months. My saw is a craftsman, but it's 12 years old. I'd buy the grizzly if I were you.... Don't buy something you won't be satisfied with.

Paypal also lets you make monthly payments, Ben..

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 08:59:00 PM »
there is a Jet 14" on craigslist near Albany NY..$300. I dont know if its a good saw for your needs.

Offline TradBowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 10:55:00 PM »
I bought some newer craftsman tools including the 14" band saw...in my opinion, you'll be better off saving another 100-200$ and getting a better saw. one thing I've learned working with wood is good equipment goes a long ways...i'm not impressed with new craftsman stuff..just my opinion

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 08:55:00 AM »
Buy better quality used (Jet, Delta) or the Grizzly new.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 11:21:00 AM »
14"x1hp Grizzly here too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 07:08:00 PM »
I have a Ridgid 14" saw, more than likely built by the same factory in China as most of the import saws. The tentsion adjusters on these saws are made of pot metal and will break very easily. Check out the Craftsman saw and if it is made in China I would not buy it. They are all junk.

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 08:39:00 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys.

Got a lot of you vouching for grizzly.

Don't know if it's made in China, seemed reasonably well made. As one member said in a PM "I think it's a real sleeper".

Nonetheless, I let the sale pass and did not make any moves.

As my very supportive and understanding wife noted, "If you're not 100% then don't buy". I figure when a woman that well versed in shopping tells you not to buy, you listen ... Lol. (Already have approval for saw purchase so she has nothing to gain)

I'm gonna lurk a little on CL, see if I can turn up a decent deal before the grizzly sale ends at the end of July. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about that timing.

If I cant find a really killer deal used, I'm probably gonna go for grizzly.

Lastly, any thoughts on the difference between the G0555 and G0555lx? Can't seem to figure it out, is one an obvious choice?

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 10:08:00 AM »
The LX has cast iron wheels. I think the heavier cast iron wheels are better than the Aluminum wheels..

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 04:46:00 PM »
With machine tools, heavy is good. You won't regret buying a Grizz... plus, isn't delivery free in the US?
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 12:07:00 AM »
I've had 2 12" craftsman band saws and they worked OK.  Both had problems that I had to fix.  Mostly due to low quality pot metal parts that broke.  I upgraded to a 14" Grizzly and have been very happy with it.

Keep an eye on Craigslist.  Check the tool page several times a day if you can.  You will find a deal eventually.
AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 05:47:00 PM »
I think you're right on Clint ... I will lurk in the local ads to see if a deal comes up, if I see nothing I'll buy the grizzly 14" before the sale ends in July.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 08:50:00 PM »
Ben, what the heck is $545.00? Go for it dude.. Just click the link below then click BUY it son.. Ya can't go wrong with free shipping. I'll lend ya some $$$ if ya like..   :)  

http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-Deluxe-Bandsaw/G0555LX

Offline LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2015, 11:11:00 PM »
I love my Griz.  Got the extreme with the upgraded motor and lots of other goodies. Its a perfect saw in my eyes!

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2015, 08:06:00 AM »
Had an old American made Craftsman, good saw but a little underpowered at 1/2hp.

Bought a Rigid off a friend who needed money, worst saw on the planet, it would take me a page to list everything that was wrong with this saw. Rigid replaced it with one that was missing at least 30% of the parts in the box.

Then I bought a Griz, no problems and have ben using it for about ten years. Plenty of power, nice accessories, very dependable.

Offline Charlie Hinkel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2015, 08:40:00 AM »
I bought the 12 inch Craftsman bandsaw new about four years ago. They look good but are made cheaply. I have had nothing but trouble from the tensioner bolt stripping the threads. They quit making this saw, and now the local Sears doesn't even carry blades for it! Go with quality, I wish I did!
An hour in the shop is worth two in the yard

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2015, 10:56:00 PM »
I had the same problem with the tensioner on my last craftsman.  I had to re-thread it and then used a coupler nut so it had a lot more threads supporting the tension.
AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2015, 10:16:00 AM »
After seeing that nice steel frame 1.5hp saw of Eric's I realized I can't be messing around here. I think I need to go for a serious saw that I'm not going to be looking to upgrade in a year or two.

So ... I talked to my father who lives nearby and asked if I could keep a bandsaw in his garage for the time being ... He said basically if it's on wheels, it's no problem, so I'm thinking of going for the G0513 17" 2HP saw. There on sale for as low as $875 and that would really let us do some work. He's got 60amp service to his garage and would probably put in 220 just for the heck of it. This way I'm not bound by these wimpy 15amp circuits.

They've got 30+ acres of woods and lots of downed trees all the time so I figure a bigger saw would let us saw up logs. We've got a few project that require pretty big timbers so I think the bigger saw would pay for itself in short order.

Has only one used a saw with the euro style guides? How do they compare to roller guides. It seems like the 17" saw is a no brainier considering its not much more than the 14" extreme and riser block.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©