Author Topic: Carbon Backing  (Read 410 times)

Offline oldway

• Trad Bowhunter
Carbon Backing
« on: May 06, 2015, 03:46:00 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone has used carbon backing and where can a person can purchase it.Any info would be much appreciated,Dell.

Offline Nezwin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carbon Backing
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 01:40:00 AM »
I've made up carbon lams from scratch and they've worked well. I've got some pictures on a facebook page but will need to get them in a way to post on this site when I get the chance.

The first was a carbon backed, bamboo core, lemonwood belly double recurve. The carbon was rough but I didn't want to waste it. The second bow I'm currently working on - carbon back, bamboo core, red ironbark belly. It's coming up beautifully.

My carbon was sourced as unidirectional cloth from a supplier in Brisbane, then laid up in a form, tensioned & resin applied. Once cured, it was ground to thickness. Almost identical process to making homemade fibreglass lams.

Offline Nezwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 01:48:00 AM »
Rough bow but didn't want to waste the materials! Next one will be a heap better. Hairy guy in the picture with the bad shooting form is a mate, I'm way better looking    :D  

Offline Elison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 07:02:00 PM »
Nice bow Nezwin!
Congrats!
Elison J. G. Lusvardi

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 09:55:00 PM »
Mike

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 11:32:00 PM »
very cool bow!!
whats the story behind the bow, the inspiration, the specs , how you did it all- very cool!!   :thumbsup:

Offline Nezwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 02:32:00 AM »
Thanks for the interest, Fujimo - I've got to admit, I'm a bit of a fan of your work.    :)  

The bow has an interesting story....

I used to shoot at a place called 'Academie Duello' in Vancouver, BC, with Lykopis Archery. Great people, if you're ever in the city. I was always a fan of the modern laminate flatbow but I had a chance to shoot a horsebow and loved it. So I decided to amalgamate the two concepts, this bow being a prototype. I wanted to have the shelf & locator grip of a laminate flatbow but with the speed & 'flick' of a horsebow. Next step is to do a similar bow to this but with static tips (using tip wedges), then I'll be shortening the design to around 60"ish, first with a working recurve then a static.

The design is based on the Golden Ratio - the length of deflexed limb to reflexed limb is a ratio of 1:1.6 (or close to, 15.5:9.5), the deflex/reflex ratio is 1:1.6, etc. Wherever there's a chance to get that ratio into the design, I did. This particular bow is 68"ntn with an 18" riser & 25" working limbs.

The next bow is currently gluing up but has been delayed due to a house move. That's being sent to my old archery teacher (who also happens to work on a certain archery themed superhero show as the archery tech...) - carbon fibre, prestressed backing, bamboo core, red ironbark belly with a red gum/lemonwood/spotted gum riser. The carbon is much better in the next one and it should be a much better bow, although a bit heavier, coming in around the 40# mark as opposed to 30# for the ugly lemonwood bow in the pictures. My teacher wants a bow around 30# though, so I may have to do some weight reduction (we're target shooters, for the most part. I hunt occasionally but I'm not very good...).

The bow in the pictures was the first I made with carbon, most I've previously made with clear glass. I outline my process to make my glass laminates in another thread on this forum. This bow didn't come out so great but I didn't want to waste the materials so used a bit of lemonwood I'd salvaged from pallets (seriously, they use lemonwood/degame for   pallets in Brazil...  pallets), some bamboo core I had floating around (I keep a bunch of pre-ground cores ready to go, just in case) and the pink ironbark was a chunk of timber I'd been given by a nice bloke down the road. The form is a standard bit of structural ash, belly down and clamped with g-clamps.

The bow turned out alright, not perfect by any means but a sweet shooter you can keep on flicking arrows out of for hours & hours. The double recurve means you've got to be sharp with your form too, which is good discipline.

Glad you liked it! I miss the enthusiasm, camaraderie & encouragement of North America. I love Australia, but bowmakers here have a very different mindset...

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 07:34:00 PM »
sorry oldway- i seem to have stepped on yer thread here! sorry mate!
i seem to remember binghams selling carbon  strips- IIRC!

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 08:12:00 PM »
Neil, i'm flattered, but i honestly feel your opinion is rather misguided   :D  
i , personally know there are armfulls of bowyers on here that i admire, respect and emulate continuously.
people, whose skills i hold in absolute awe, and are light years ahead of me!!

i really like your bow, and what i like even more, is the process of stepping out the box and venturing forth, on a new design.
that ratio "philosophy", is truly one of the most astounding things to me- i have seen write ups- where they show you pictures of chairs, furniture, buildings, paintings, photos, whatever- then you choose the best one- and voila- it abides by the ratio rule- quite incredible actually.

kenh, on here is of the same ilk as you- building all those sexy , curvy bows, on not much of a form, - a stick and a few rubber bands and some chewing gum- pretty cool.
i like how you said- some"construction ash"
got a mate in Dubbo, who is a chippie- and he talks about ash as a cheap wood- funny what we get used to. ie: lemon wood for pallets   :scared:
 we used tambootie as fence posts- and yellow wood for toilet seats!!!

some cool woods over there.
i am originally from. s . africa ( you know- the real blokes who know how to play proper rugga!!   :laughing:   )- and shudder at the thought of all the wild olive, and red ivory and other great woods that we burnt on camp fires!!!!!

keep us posted on how the other bows work out- i am really keen to see them!!
cheers mate-  
wayne

Offline Nezwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 01:50:00 AM »
Dubbo, eh? That's only about 4hrs north from me - just around the corner, by rural Australian terms. It's the next regional centre north of us, although we're only an hour from our southern regional centre, Wagga Wagga.

I'll put a post up for the next bow and maybe see about getting some of my older ones up, too. Love this board & I love this site, great folk always ready to help one another! It's a great place to learn without too many egos about.

Maybe one day down the track we can arrange for some timber swaps? I've ground a bunch of Spotted Gum & Osage lams for my brother in the UK, he's keen to play with some foreign timbers. Yew is like gold here in Oz and it's going to be a decade or three before my trees are mature enough to harvest... But Osage is available if you know where to look and I've got a secret Yew stash I'm keeping up my sleeve...

Sorry for hijacking your thread oldway!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©