Author Topic: sandpaper for aluminum???  (Read 588 times)

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
sandpaper for aluminum???
« on: May 09, 2015, 09:52:00 AM »
anybody have any ide what might be the best sandpaper to sand ali down- that would fit on the drum sander- if there is even such a thing?
figured i might try and build some aluminum taper sleds- from some ali flat bar.

bad idea???
as apposed to having it milled!

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: sandpaper for aluminum???
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 09:53:00 AM »
maybe i should just try some scrap ali- and see how it goes- i am sure it would have to be super small increments!

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 11:47:00 AM »
Slow and steady, prob .003 increments ti lyou figure it out. I'm guessing 60 grit or coarser so it doesn't get hot and wont plug as bad.   :dunno:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 01:54:00 PM »
worth a shot, i still have and use your boo sleds- and they are still fine- just always concerned that i might wear them out- or take off tooo much one day- and have a double taper sled   :D   .
figure i could make the ali ones- as a master.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 02:33:00 PM »
I used to build screen rooms, carports, etc... with aluminum extrusions and roof panels. Never sanded it...But when cutting the extrusions with a 10" miter saw and a 10 tpi blade I would have to wax the  blade or spray it with WD-40 to keep the aluminum from melting and sticking to the teeth..

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 02:39:00 PM »
mmmm ...good idea!
waxing might be a good option!
thanks mate!

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 05:19:00 PM »
could you glue a 1/4" thick wood or actionboo overlay on top of the aluminum..then tape 2 tapers side by side onto the bottom..then run it thru your sander several passes..then remove tapers and then you have your sled?  or just use a thick piece of actionboo in place of the aluminum, much cheaper and easier to work with..

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 05:32:00 PM »
I have cut 1/4" and 3/8" thick aluminum alloy plating with a skill saw and a thin plywood blade, as long as you keep blade lubricated it cuts well...i did that when i wanted to put a 50hp outboard engine on a jonboat rated for 35hp..and on my old grouper fishing boat, I put a 225hp on a boat rated for 175hp after I had new transom,floor and stringers installed.

Offline Troy D. Breeding

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2015, 07:28:00 PM »
Don't want to sound like I'm trying to pop your bubble, but Alum. flat bar is a bad idea for a sled.

As the ol' saying goes "been there, done that" and the flat bar will hold heat when sanding tapers. Over time it "will" warp.

I had that same idea several years ago and it turned out to be a waste of time and money.

If you want to use alum., use square edge tubing with a 1/4" wall and pay a machine shop to do the work for you. Not cheap, but way better and will last you a life time.
Troy D. Breeding
 www.WoodGallery295.net

Retirement ain't what it's cracked up to be.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2015, 08:43:00 PM »
'kay...roger that
thanks for the heads up   :thumbsup:  
 cheers

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 07:13:00 AM »
Troy, I have a two piece aluminum sled, hinged at one end and shimmed at the other for any degree of taper. It hasn't warped at all, but I surely don't use mine like you used yours.

That being said, I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the thought that the aluminum will get hot enough to warp. As I'm grinding, I have my hands on the sled as it's coming out the back of the sander and I feel no heat whatsoever in the aluminum. I think any heat would have a difficult time transferring from the wood into the aluminum since the anti skid material I have on there creates an air gap/insulator of sorts.

I can tell the way the two machined pieces of aluminum fit perfectly together with no shims installed that the top isn't warped at all, but I will keep an eye on it and report it here if anything moves at all. Thanks for the heads up.

Just curious, what grit paper did you have on your drum?

Offline Troy D. Breeding

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 12:44:00 PM »
Yea, I guess I do use one a bit more than the average fellow.

The day I got mine I returned home and went right to work on over 200 pair of parallel lams. I didn't take time to put anything on it to help hold the lam in place like sandpaper. After running about 50 pieces I started noticing the sled was quite warm. After about a 100 it was hot.

I took my lunch break and when I started back I checked a couple lams and thickness wasn't even from end to end. It wasn't much, but when your trying to keep everything in a max +/- .001" and all of a sudden it changes to +/- .005" it will make you almost flip out.

I took a straight edge and place it on the grinding surface and it wasn't hard to see what had happened. The sled had bowed up in the middle causing the lams to be thinner in the middle than on the ends.

Since switching to the tubing I haven't seen that problem, but I did put the sandpaper on it before ever starting.
Troy D. Breeding
 www.WoodGallery295.net

Retirement ain't what it's cracked up to be.

Offline Krasus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 12:13:00 AM »
silicon carbide sandpaper is good for softer metals such as aluminum and brass. When sanding metal, you should use water to cool down the metal surface and the abrasive. Although water will reduce the amount of dust and debris in the air, you'll have to wipe away the slurry on the surface of the metal that forms as you sand.

You can get silicon carbide paper in a waterproof paper,then you can cool with water and not worry about excessive heat build up.

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 04:25:00 AM »
Corian works really good for lam sleds.
High on Archery.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 06:16:00 AM »
Fujio boy, they sell aluminum oxide sandpaper.

Offline Krasus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2015, 10:26:00 AM »
It's actually not.  It's best for hardwoods where you need a long lasting paper.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2015, 10:34:00 AM »
I'm betting WayneO will believe me..   :)

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2015, 11:48:00 AM »
I think you may be overthinking it.

You don't need to taper the aluminum. Get a piece of Al bar stock of the length width and thickness you want, then just stick down a relatively thin tapered lam on top of it with carpet tape or something like spray adhesive. Run your material on top of that and you'll replicate the taper.

The thinner the glued/taped down lam the better, that way the pressure from the sanding drum will press it perfectly flat against the Al sled when you grind your material on top.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2015, 11:49:00 AM »
Granted I've never done any of those steps I suggested ... Just thinking out loud ....

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2015, 12:25:00 PM »
That's zactly what I do Ben. Only my sled is 3/4" X 3" X 36" oak. Then I lay my tapered pattern on top of it then my lam on top of the pattern..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©