3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Selfbow Accuracy Question  (Read 854 times)

Offline Scioto

• Trad Bowhunter
Selfbow Accuracy Question
« on: March 05, 2008, 03:14:00 PM »
I was hoping to get some input with regards to selfbows in comparison to glass backed bows.  I have have made a few good osage selfbows, but have been struggling with my shooting with them....I just can't seem to shoot them consistently.  I pick up an old Kodiak Hunter, and I do pretty good, but when I shoot the osage selfbow, my accuracy seems to go down the tubes.  I don't know if it's me, or the bow.  I guess my question is, in your opinion, are glass backed bow more inheriately accurate than an unbacked wooden bow?  I love my selfbows, but don't want to sacrafice accuracy when I am drawing on a whitetail.  Also, how long do you think a well made selfbow of osage should last.  Some have said that they can last a lifetime if taken good care of, and I have heard others say only a few years.  Thanks for your input!

Offline smoke

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Selfbow Accuracy Question
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 03:22:00 PM »
I have 3 selfbows.  I can shoot 2 about as well as I can shoot by glass bows but I can't hit a darn thing with the other selfbow.  I suspect that a well-made glass bow is hard to beat but with a selfbow that is close to center-shot, you can get very good.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 04:02:00 PM »
Arrow selection and form are more critical with a non-center shot bow.  You have to spend more time matching the arrows to the bow.

It isn't a matter of the bow being more or less "accurate".  The bow doesn't shoot itself.  However, technological advantages of modern materials and center shot make the other bow easier to shoot.

Practice a lot with well matched arrows and quit deprogramming yourself by switching back and forth and you will be plenty accurate to kill a deer.

A well made and cared for selfbow should last many thousands of shots.  I have a few that have been shot for 10 years and unknown times and they are still shooters.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 04:09:00 PM »
What John said. My arrows ALWAYS go right where they are pointed. If I miss it is pilot error every time. It is easier to make a well tillered fiberglass/laminated bow and pistol grips, center shot cut shelves, and such may make a bow "more forgiving" - that is easier to shoot because it will tollerate more bad form/release/arrow spine etc. There is nothing but the bowyers art between a piece of osage and the finest laminated bow made.

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 04:16:00 PM »
As John and Saun said above.
Are you shooting the same arrows out of both the self bow and bear recurve??
If so, they would most likely be to stiff for the self bow. This could be the or at the least part  problem with consistancy.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »
Why did Howard Hill say center shot and recurve bows were not forgiving enough for him to shoot accurately?  There may be more variables that just center shot and limb function, just guessing.  As for the first post. My selfbow is in many ways more accurate.  I have to shoot very light spine cedars out it to get the most consistency.  It doesn't like aluminum at all.

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 06:34:00 PM »
I have to agree with Shaun.  I've been making my own bows for about 5 years with nothing but handtools.  Time is your biggest asset to making a very good and beautiful hunting weapon.  I've shyed away from laminated bows because there seems to be way less craftsmanship involved.

That said, my first selfbow was not as pretty as I may have liked but I killed 2 deer with it my first year.  I have never really messed with tuning arrows with weight and spine, such as some recommend.  I do however, get familiar with how my arrows fly from different bows.

In short, if you are familiar with your setup, you should then be able to shoot the arrow where you look, no matter spine or whathaveyou.

Let yourself be inspired by all the great creations out there!!!
Hill

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 06:49:00 PM »
Selfbows are as accurate as a glass bow. But, they are more difficult to master in regards to tunning, arrow selection and such. For me that is the challenge that draws me to them. That, and the fact it is archery in its purist form.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 07:31:00 PM »
Like Osagetree said, a selfbow is as accurate as a glass bow, and for that matter, as a wheeler shooting device. The only thing is, how much time is one willing or able to dedicate to matching arrows and practice?
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline huntinoly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 07:31:00 PM »
For me I can shoot a selfbow just as well as a glass bow as long as I have good shooting form, I think self bows are less forgiving. I have not been able to switch back and forth between a glass bow and my selfbows so I sold all my glass bows.

Offline Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »
I have found three keys to accuracy with a selfbow; First, tuning the bow to get good arrow fight from the arrows used.  I have several (5 or 6) hundred arrows fletched and a couple hundred broadheads of different weights so I always have arrows ready for whatever weight or style selfbow I make.  Second, as mentioned by others is consistent good shooting form, unfortunately many who shoot selfbows have inconsistent and poor shooting form.  Next, is a poor release, which is part of good form, but so prevalent it gets its own category.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 06:00:00 AM »
What did Thompson say ???...every bow is an acccurate bow,

It's all about what you put into it !!

When I first started to transition from glass to wood bows I build up the arrow pass on the glass bows to take away all the shelf cut, and made them shoot like the around the andle selfbows, so i could go back and fort without the need to readjust.

today when I order a glass bow I get it with no arrow pass, I can go back and forth with no problems.

my latest glass HILL

"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 06:22:00 AM »
 I guess my question is, in your opinion, are glass backed bow more inheriately accurate than an unbacked wooden bow?
I would say that glass backed bows, assuming the arrow pass is cut in, are inherently more forgiving of spine and slight errors in form. Somewhat less arrow tuning up front.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Danny Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 07:50:00 AM »
I shoot my self bows as accurately. Good luck to 'ya in the woods this fall with your self bow !!!
DR

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©