Author Topic: Bow Finish  (Read 779 times)

Offline D.A. Davis

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow Finish
« on: May 16, 2015, 01:41:00 PM »
What type of finish does everybody use?  I've always used Tung Oil (5 coats, wet sanded between each coat) and clear polyurethane (5 coats, wet sanded between each coat).

Would like to find something durable, long lasting, and not so time consuming.
Genesis 21:20 - "And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer"

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Finish
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 01:52:00 PM »
I think any good durable finish is time consuming.  I have used spar varnish, massey finish with Devcon 2 ton epoxy, and now Thunderbird.  All take time.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 02:07:00 PM »
I use Thunderbird. Tough as nails. Looks great. I think it's easy to use.

Offline D.A. Davis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 04:00:00 PM »
I was thinking of trying Thunderbird.

When I sway time consuming, I'm speaking mostly about total time including drying time.  In my post I mentioned that I use tung oil and clear polyurethane; 5 coats each with wet sanding.  That's 10 days putting on the finish, including one day drying time per coat.

Have you ever tried putting Thunderbird over a hydrographic dip finish?  I'm wondering if the dip finish would stay intact?
Genesis 21:20 - "And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer"

Online Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 05:08:00 PM »
No I haven't put it over a dipped finish.

I'll tell ya this though, I have sprayed many bows with Thunderbird that took only 2 days to finish. It generally goes something like this....

On day 1, I spray the bow every 2-3 hours until I feel sufficient depth is achieved and the wood's pores are adequately filled.

On day 2, I sand, steel wool, and check to see if finish is adequately leveled. If it is, I apply a couple of light finish coats and that's it.

If there are still pock marks visible after sanding due to deep pores in the wood, I again spray every 2-3 hours until I feel enough finish has been layed down, and then come back a day or two later to sand and apply the final coat.

On bows that were very smooth to begin with(like diffuse porous woods), or when I wasn't concerned with an absolutely flawless finish, I have completed them in just 1 day and they still look very good.

Offline D.A. Davis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 06:26:00 PM »
Thanks Bowjunkie.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 07:45:00 PM »
I just recently used spray spar urethane and I liked that. Not very difficult at all.

I also really like the wipe on poly. Seems to be very forgiving because it goes on so thin. Takes a number of coats, but it's basically idiot proof, which I like.

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 07:53:00 PM »
I've tried most of the ones listed above with good results but I like Krystal dull the best.

Offline cunruhshoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 12:56:00 AM »
I re-engaged with Big Jim's Buffalo Hide Bow Finish. Actually this is the first time using Big Jim's previously I was using Thunderbird -  I believe this round is working out awesome. First coat went on this evening...I have been using a wipe on poly but never truly satisfied with the final results.
As Iron sharpens Iron so one person sharpens another...Prov. 27:17

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 08:12:00 AM »
You can have a bow finished with tbird in two . A couple more days to cure depending on Humidity.yes you can spray over a dipped bow.
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline D.A. Davis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 12:30:00 PM »
Thanks Bow man.  I've got a bow I'm wanting to build for a friend that served in the U.S. Army in Afghanistan for several tours.  He was a Captain, and a Bronze Star recipient.  The bow will be themed to some extent with portions dipped in Multicam camo.  Add a couple insignias, and I think it could come out pretty nice.  I would like to find some wood that is native to Afghanistan, as well.  If you have any sources for woods from the Middle East, please share.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 06:38:00 PM »
wow, they have a birch, fir, spruce, pine and an oak( all Himalayan varieties) , but the coolest is, they have a sub specie of the European Yew.

only 11 trees listed as native to afghanistan- theres gotta be more!!

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 06:47:00 PM »
true enough- found some more

quote "there is abundant growth of large forest trees, among which conifers are the most noble and prominent, such as Cedrus deodara, Abies excelsa, Pinus longifolia, Pinus pinaster, Stone pine (the edible pine, although this species is probably introduced, since it is original to Spain and Portugal) and the larch. There is also the yew, the hazel, juniper, walnut, wild peach and almond. Growing under the shade of these are several varieties of rose, honeysuckle, currant, gooseberry, hawthorn, rhododendron and a luxuriant herbage, among which the ranunculus family is important for frequency and number of genera. The lemon and wild vine are also here met with, but are more common on the northern mountains. The walnut and oak (evergreen, holly-leaved and kermes) descend to the secondary heights, where they become mixed with alder, ash, khinjak, Arbor-vitae, juniper, with species of Astragalus, &c. Here also are Indigoferae rind dwarf laburnum."

Offline cunruhshoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2015, 09:49:00 PM »
Well my second round with the Buffalo Hide/T-bird has resulted in a great big FLOP! My first coat laid down nice  - I waited almost 24 hours and then applied a second coat attempted the same method but ended up with a bad case of "orange peel" very frustrating evening and now I am about ready to take the bow and wrap it around a tree. I put so much effort to build a beautiful bow and mess it up in the final process. I just can't seem to get this bow finish to lay down nice.

What is even more frustrating is that everyone else seems to say it is so easy...

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 05:07:00 AM »
Let it cure for a day or two and wet sand it out. Time consuming but the results if done right will be good.
High on Archery.

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 06:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by cunruhshoot:
Well my second round with the Buffalo Hide/T-bird has resulted in a great big FLOP! My first coat laid down nice  - I waited almost 24 hours and then applied a second coat attempted the same method but ended up with a bad case of "orange peel" very frustrating evening and now I am about ready to take the bow and wrap it around a tree. I put so much effort to build a beautiful bow and mess it up in the final process. I just can't seem to get this bow finish to lay down nice.

What is even more frustrating is that everyone else seems to say it is so easy...
Sounds like you put it on two heavy to quickly. on the second coat you also need to be sure to give a light sanding between coats of gloss. sand it down smooth and apply 3 or 4 super light coat evenly over bow.
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline cunruhshoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 10:54:00 AM »
Will do...Thanks David.

I know that I will figure it out eventually I just don't have any past experience with spray on finish so it has been trial and error for me, mostly error.

I do think that I am attempting to cover to thick at one time...I am using a .8 tip on my sprayer is that the correct size?

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 11:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by cunruhshoot:
Will do...Thanks David.

I know that I will figure it out eventually I just don't have any past experience with spray on finish so it has been trial and error for me, mostly error.

I do think that I am attempting to cover to thick at one time...I am using a .8 tip on my sprayer is that the correct size?
Yes that size is fine keep the air pressure adjustment opened up lots of air pressure keep the adjustments for the spray material turned down
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline D.A. Davis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 12:18:00 PM »
I found this document that lists all the fruit and forest trees of Afghanistan.  I'm really intrigued by the Almond and Pistachio woods.  Here's the link to the document:

http://eafghanag.ucdavis.edu/c_livestock/Man_For_Fodder_Trees_Afghan_FAO.pdf

Offline cunruhshoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 02:30:00 PM »
Thanks David - I was using pretty high air pressure but also high on the material side - thus the too heavy flow of material.

D.A. I am sorry for side tracking your thread - I made it more about my questions and journey than yours...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©