Author Topic: TBB Vol 4 tri-lam  (Read 769 times)

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TBB Vol 4 tri-lam
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2015, 07:24:00 PM »
Compared to the first unstrung picture, it looks like it took 2 - 3" of set so far. I like the current profile though, one of my favorites. Makes for a very stable bow if everything else is done proper.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2015, 07:55:00 PM »
Looking good. Does seem like it took some set as Bowjunkie mentiond. But I think that's normal. There's no Anton of bending limb there, so I'm not shocked.

What's the width of the bow?

Offline stickmonkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2015, 07:56:00 PM »
Yeah I lost most of it before getting to 16" and starting the NST. I only lost another 1/4 after starting the NST. I think it was more the profile that contributed to the set. It's still at 2.5 and slowly going back but I don't expect it to go back much further.

I am building 4 of these and will make the adjustments and get the other one going soon.
Time is the crucible of a man's integrity.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2015, 06:32:00 AM »
Looks nice..

Offline stickmonkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2015, 07:51:00 AM »
It did gain more of its orginal profile after resting overnight.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2015, 05:14:00 PM »
Don't sweat the set it took. There's more to a good bow than reflex. I think you're gonna have a nice shooter there.

Very similar to my usual design and I like this style very much.

How about some more data on the bow like width and lam thicknesses and tapers.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2015, 05:30:00 PM »
i can attest to that- i have one of bens bows, and it is an awesome shooter!   :thumbsup:

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2015, 10:35:00 PM »
I built one bow that took over 1 1/2" of string follow and 1" of set if thats a right way to put it. At any rate I was doing some surfing one nite and stumbled upon a Bow site and the bowyer states that all his wood bows are stressed to the max. This is what I did with this maple laminate.  Its over stressed but it shoots just fine. 63" NTN and about 46#
It was the best board I ever bought, 1/4 sawn having perfect grain on the edge from tip to tip. If I wanted to I could of gotten over 55# from it.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2015, 10:42:00 PM »
one wishes you could have bought the entire log, that it came out of   :D  - such perfect wood is not that common!

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2015, 04:28:00 AM »
More deflex not less will help you out with this profile.

Offline stickmonkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2015, 07:30:00 PM »
Mike it will take on more deflex as its shot. It was setup this way because of that.

Offline stickmonkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2015, 07:44:00 PM »
Sorry for the late pics but I had a death in the family.

Here is how it looks after a night unstrung. I have not had time to cut the sight window yet but may later this week.

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2015, 09:24:00 PM »
Nothing to be sorry about stick, I have been there a few times myself.    Pretty bow by the way.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2015, 10:37:00 PM »
Lovely profile.

Sorry about your family's loss.

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2015, 01:47:00 AM »
So you mean it will take set to become a different shape!
I mean if you intentionally deflexed it more out of the handle it wouldn't take the set and the wood would be in a fresher state giving a faster bow.
Excess set is bad as it means you have more hysteresis and the limbs return slower = slower bow.
I've messed about with r/d wood bows a lot! Set is bad and should ideally be kept to an absolute minimum at all times with a wooden bow.

Offline stickmonkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2015, 10:17:00 AM »
Thanks Mike for the explanation. Badger suggested this profile and his fastest bows, 202 fps, start with no deflex at all but gain it a little as they are shot in, just as you said because of hysterisis.

Mike this is a question, how does adding more deflex increase the fps performance since it places less stress on the wood and stores less energy than if it had less to no deflex?

Is this something that is seen more in wood bows because of the use of natural materials and hysterisis?  I have built glass bows shooting 217 @ 28 50# and 500 gpp with little to no deflex in their unstrung profile. Granted they did have almost a static tip and a radical limb fade as well as few other things to move the limbs mass around but still 217 is very good.

I don't know as much about all wood bows as I do glass bows so I am opeN to learning more about the wood bows. I have 4 more of these to build and will be making changes to each to get better fps performance as I go.

Offline stickmonkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2015, 10:23:00 AM »
[/url] [/IMG]

[/url] [/IMG]

[/url] [/IMG]

Offline stickmonkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2015, 10:46:00 AM »
Mike I have thought on this a bit and do you mean that by introducing more deflex at the start would give the bow a better chance to retain more of its initial reflex through the tillering process?

I suppected the hysterisis was the main cause to why I lost so much reflex and I figured the curl was too tight and focusing the stress just past midlimb rather than balancing out along the curl.

So if I now understand what you mean wouldn't the limb balance the stress better with the apex of the deflex being further out then bring the tips up to desired reflex?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©