Author Topic: Old bow needs help!  (Read 330 times)

Offline Redux

• Trad Bowhunter
Old bow needs help!
« on: May 20, 2015, 05:01:00 PM »
Need to know if this bow can be repaired and shot! Has some sentimental value and would really like to put it back to work again. As far as I can see, it appears it just dried out and the glue gave way.

My thought is to pick up a flexible epoxy and use a bicycle tire tube to wrap around the bow to give myself good even pressure. I would let that cure for a few days... The next issue would be cleaning up the epoxy that squeezes out. Doesn't have to be pretty, just stable enough for the old girl to launch some sticks.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Old bow needs help!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 07:35:00 PM »
You could re-glue it but you'll have to re-glue everything. If that piece of glass delaminated the others probably will also. Some of the glues used in the old bows gets brittle over time.
 If it is never going to be drawn again you could glue it back together with just about any glue. TBIII would work.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 08:32:00 PM »
I would try smooth-on.  At least its a straight longbow, so you won't need a form.  Just clamp it to a straight board when gluing it.

However, like Pat said, the other glue joints might not be long for this world either.  It might be that you glue it back together with anything and make it a decorative piece.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline heartlandbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 08:58:00 PM »
I think without getting all the laminations apart and re sanding them before glue up it wil never stay together. To many weak spots with the old glue.

IMHO if you want to sling some arrows out of it would be to save the riser and have someone build a new bow using the old girls riser. Otherwise she's gonna be a wall hanger if ya want her to stay in one piece.

Cory

Offline Redux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 09:22:00 PM »
Well I think that's a little over my head.... May very well have to settle with it being a decorative piece!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©