Author Topic: New here, and new to bow building  (Read 741 times)

Offline BFreed59

• Trad Bowhunter
New here, and new to bow building
« on: May 25, 2015, 01:48:00 PM »
Hi all, I thought I would start off by introducing myself since this is my first post here. I have been reading the boards here for the better part of the last year, and have been both inspired and amazed at the skill all of you have shown with your build alongs.

I have finally decided to take the leap and ordered a kit from binghams to make my first glass recurve. The kit should arrive within the next few days.

I have built a few self bows with varying degrees of success, and from doing so the bug has taken hold and can't wait to start my next one.

I would like to ask if any if you have some advice before I start on my first one?

Thanks to all of you and keep up the great work on your projects, they are a great inspiration and I hope to have half of your skill some day.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New here, and new to bow building
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 02:56:00 PM »
Starting off with a kit from Binghams is a step in the right direction.  That's how I got started and so did many many others.

As far as advice, just follow their plans and you will end up very near your intended draw weight.  Also, don't be afraid to really round over the edges of your riser and limbs.  I see a lot of new bowyers who's bows end up looking kind of "blocky" because they don't want to take off too much material for fear of it breaking.  I was one of them and my first bow looked like a 2 x 4 with a sight window cut into it.

Good luck!
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Krasus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 01:48:00 AM »
Take your time.  A slip of a file and your hard work can be spoiled.  Don't rush.  :)  oh and have fun!  I love building bows!

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 02:49:00 PM »
I'm in the same boat as you...my Bingham's kit just arrived last week. I haven't had time to start yet, but I'm heading out to my Dad's place tomorrow to get started.

What kit did you get?
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline BFreed59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 07:41:00 PM »
I got the 66" take down recurve, and am shooting for around 60 lbs at my 32" draw.

What kit did you get, and hope it starts off good for you tomorrow.

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 09:58:00 PM »
Welcome aboard.  I would suggest a couple of dry runs, it seems all type of gremlins pop once the epoxy goes on.  The dry run will also make sure everything is available and handy. Take your time no big hurry.  I remember when I started I was always afraid the epoxy was going to set up or somehow go bad if I took to long getting it spread.  Speaking of epoxy, mix it very well.  Good luck and we will need pictures.

Offline BFreed59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 10:45:00 PM »
I will definitely be taking lots of pictures so that however it turns out it will be a learning experience. And thanks for the advice

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 01:57:00 PM »
I got the 58" take down recurve kit. It didn't quite come with everything we needed, still missing the limb hardware, but I'm pumped to get things rolling.

Like said above, I'm taking my time. I think we ordered it to be 50# @ 28". I draw around 27". Fortunately we already have the form and heat box built which will save us some time.

Definitely recommend watching the DVD first, tons of great info on step by step how to do it on there. Really cleared up some (not all) questions I had going in.
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline BFreed59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 05:24:00 PM »
I plan on taking my time with everything, and am looking forward to watching the DVD that comes with the kit it should be interesting to see a more in depth explanation of the process

Offline BFreed59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 03:57:00 PM »
So the kit from binghams just got here today, I plan on watching the video and reading through the information with it a few times then hopefully get started building soon

Offline passion for knowledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 08:29:00 PM »
Fairly new at the bow making thing, but have always enjoyed woodworking and did some less than serious archery in my teens - built my first bow at 15. Just started again at 60!

Mentioned archery to my son, who showed a lot of interest so I bought him a takedown recurve (#30) for his 16th birthday. Once I'd shot it a few times I was (re)hooked. Bought myself a takdown too.

Decided to have a go at making a bow. Just kind of jumped in, bought some wood, did some research and started shaping.

Have made a couple of oak pyramid bows - first was rather light (#28 @ 28") - second was better (#42 @ 28)

Just finished a maple 'Holmegaard style' bow.

68" NTN  #53 @ 28"

I have a couple of risers made for my attempt at a takedown recurve. Risers are easy - now comes the hard part - Limbs!

Just have a go and learn from your mistakes.

Have fun with it, that's the most important part, IMHO.
Creativity and the search for knowledge are what keep me sane(ish)

Offline BFreed59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 02:38:00 AM »
Thought I would post an update since I started to work on stuff today. Started getting the form made, screwed and glued just waiting for the glue to completely dry before cutting and sanding. I also started some work on the riser block, and made templates from the plans.

Offline BFreed59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 02:39:00 AM »
Thought I would post an update since I started to work on stuff today. Started getting the form made, screwed and glued just waiting for the glue to completely dry before cutting and sanding. I also started some work on the riser block, and made templates from the plans.

Offline BFreed59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 01:56:00 AM »
So here is the wood I have for the riser ready to be glued up

Purpleheart between shedua

Offline BFreed59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 01:59:00 AM »
Hopefully my bow build goes better than my posting, a double post followed by not linking the pictures correctly

Offline BFreed59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2015, 09:54:00 AM »
Lets try this again

Wood for riser

Ready for glue

After glue and cutting the limb pads

Offline BFreed59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2015, 12:58:00 PM »
Been making dome progress the last few days, so thought I would post an update.

I finished the forms earlier in the week, and was able to borrow a heat box from my girlfriends dad, who has built a few bows in the past.

I got all everything prepped for glue by brushing with a stiff brush and blowing the dust off with an air compressor.

At first I tried using a small trim roller to apply the smooth on, but soon found that that was a pain, and using a scraper was much easier. I probably uses way too much glue but I would rather have too much than not enough.

Got everything glued up into the form and into the oven after some minor frustration. Following the instructions from binghams I warmed the laminations in the oven before, bit the were warped when I took them out. So for the second limb I didn't pre heat the laminations which made aligning them in the press much easier.

Here is the first limb once I took it out of the oven after cooling back down to room temp, so far looks to have come out ok despite the warping. Right now the second limb is in the heat box and hopefully will turn out good.

I have also been working on a few arrows to see if I can make anything halfway decent.

So far seems to be going along smoothly be dont have any experience to compare to, so if anyone has any comments or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Offline Charlie Hinkel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2015, 06:00:00 PM »
Welcome to the addictive craft of bow making!  You are in good hands here, my friend, everyone here wants to see you succeed in your bow making venture!  Take what the friendly folks here have to offer you to heart, and above all, don't expect to be an expert over night.  My advice?  Be meticulous in everything you do, treat it as if you were doing surgery (well, almost). Keep all your wood and glass clean and oil free (the kind that comes from your fingers). Avoid touching the glue surfaces. Read read read everything you can get your hands and eyes on!  Above all-Have fun!
An hour in the shop is worth two in the yard

Offline BFreed59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2015, 11:23:00 PM »
Thanks for the help and encouraging words from everyone so far. It is definitely an addictive craft.

I have one question for the next step. I am planning to shape the limbs this week sometime, but the bandsaw I have been using is very small, one of the cheap ones, that struggles with anything other than light thin wood. I am thinking that it wont be able to handle the glass on the limbs...

I have access to a router table, and a band saw with a drum sanding bit and was wondering if either of those would work better than a rickety bandsaw?  

Or if anyone has any other suggestions?

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2015, 05:22:00 AM »
If you have a 4'' grinder then a thin kerf cutting blade will suffice if you are very careful getting close to your lines. Then you can just use a piece of wood about 18'' long with rounded ends and two cuts in the upper side, and wrap sand paper along the bottom and up the ends using it to 'plane' the lines down.Works fine.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©