3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Kodiak takedown troubles  (Read 1842 times)

Offline nd chickenman

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Kodiak takedown troubles
« on: March 05, 2008, 04:21:00 PM »
Just wondering if I am alone here, I have a B riser that I purchased 2 years ago that has started to separate on the lower socket. The socket is pulling away from the riser. Talked to Bear customer service, warranty is off and it would be $800 to repair! I was very disappointed with the info they gave me and somewhat saddened that they would not stand behind an obvious failure. Anybody have the same story? I did email Bowdoc and he said I was the fourth that he knew of. chickenman

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Kodiak takedown troubles
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 04:52:00 PM »
sorry for your loss. I don't know if this helps, but 3 Rivers has new risers for $600.

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 04:53:00 PM »
Joel; I've seen this a couple of times with the use of heavy weight high performance limbs along with fastflite !  (that a few Bowyers are Producing). I had an A Mag handle break with 62# H.P. limbs and NO fastflite . This is why I would prefer to build my own handle. That is very poor service on the part of bear archery!

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 05:56:00 PM »
Joel I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. Don (Bowdoc) and I have talked about this issue in some of the older risers-at least I think we were talking about older risers-but I haven't heard of the problem in newer models. I'm shooting two old wooden B risers, '69 and '71 models and shoot heavier weights on each (65& 69 lbs. respectively) but I'm scared of fast flight for these bows regardless of the limb construction, as Segio implied. I've been shooting these bows a long time with no problems; one for thirty years or so and I shoot a lot. Bowdoc could probably fix this problem but I don't know how long it would stay fixed if you're using high performance,low stretch strings. Did you ask him about working on it? I also agree with Sergio regarding the quality of service from Bear. The "Old Man" wouldn't have liked that. Good luck,
                                 Grant

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 07:08:00 PM »
Try Bowdoc or Droptine
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 07:22:00 PM »
ND... does your handle have one of those little compasses inletted in it? I wondered if drilling that hole for the compass weakens the riser.... just a thought.... When Fred was CEO of Bear Archery issues like this would be taken care of, sadly times are a changin... good luck.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 08:36:00 PM »
Wow......that is just horrible service from Bear. Very disappointing. Stick with Bow Doc and his advice. He's the real deal and will take care of you. Good luck with it.
"...Watching a buck turn back seeing his form melt away, a hunter will feel an inner smile. There's no other place he wishes to be and never does he feel more alive..."

~Gene Wensel (Primal Dreams)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 10:06:00 PM »
Thats why I'll never own a Bear bow.......service has been going downhill for the past few years.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline nd chickenman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 08:00:00 AM »
It seems that Bear has just become a company that wants to sell bows using Fred's legacy but doesn't want to honor it's product. All about the money. These takedowns don't have a disposable price on them, but that's what they sold me, a disposable bow. I did rag on the customer service rep but nothing serious, it's not his fault. I am going to hang the bow up, sell the limbs and shoot my Silvertip from here on in. Maybe I can find an old Kodiak from when Bear used to know how to make them. chickenman

Offline JimmyC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 08:48:00 AM »
That is a pathetic situation with the current owners of the Bear name.  No way Martin or the majority of other bowyers in this industry would treat a customer that way.  It's just about a crime given what they charge for those bows.

Glad you posted because I WAS considering buying a Grizzly on a whim.     :scared:
"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly."--G.K. Chesterton

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 10:01:00 AM »
I'am going to go with Sergio,for a minute here first.Yes I would say to some degree you are correct.Any bow built before the mid 1980's should never be used with FF string.The bow was not designed for FF in the begaining,because there were no FFS then.It was kevlar.And was worse on older bows then FF.Because the kevlar would cut into the tip overlays.It's so fine of strands it would find a way in.Olypic shooters use kevlar and only shoot 300 arrows per string and then it is dicarded as the strands start to break down.FF and kevlar are faster,no dout about that.But there is massive shock to the string apone release of the arrow.Those strings do not stretch,no give to the FF and kev's like a B-50 lets say.For every action,there's a reaction,and the reaction could be your bow breaking...Now the truth,I've seen 4 or 5 new T/D's and have seen oh about 40 or so grainsville bows with cracks.I've been lucky and repaired some,and some are like Joel's,they will never see the flight of an arrow again.Or let me say safly see the fight of an arrow again...What caused the cracks in about 90% of the ones I've seen was not the limbs or FF strings though.But was caused by water or moisture gettting under the sockets and spliting the wood.Any moisture will cause wood to split at some point.The last operation done on Bear T/D risers was the sockets were glued into the riser.The risers were all finished then they glued the sockets in.This was to prevent getting clear finish on the sockets.If there was an air-bubble in the epoxy,that would allow water into the cavity...Hence we got done hunting cleaned and polished our bows up and put her away for next week huh??? Never thought about that one stinking drop of water under the sockets..But it may have been leathal on some T/D's....now that I drug that one out to the limit...If you do use your Bear T/D,and it's wet outside.You can blow under the socket dry with low heat from the  hair drier.Please I am not defending Bear Archery in anyway.They should make good on Joel's and everyone else new risers no matter what......That is a defect in matirals...This is the bottom line for me anyhow.You don't stand behind your product.Please don't stand in front of it....bowdoc

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 10:12:00 AM »
Wow what a bummer! The Bear take-down was something I wanted to own eventually. Not now!!
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 11:43:00 AM »
I would like to add one note.Fred spent many years working on his baby.And I still think they are by far the best take down ever built,just because you never needed any tools to assamble it.I always thought that was great.They are really good bows.Just look them over good before you buy one.If it's not cracked by now pretty good chance it will never crack..bowdoc

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 01:25:00 PM »
nd, if I was in your shoes I would try and find someone that would make you a new handle. I have heard of this being done. My handle is 11 years old now. I had an issue with the limbs but the Bear rep got me a new set at no charge. Guess times change for the worst.
Awhile back I saw a cracked handle on that auction site that was bid up $200. That may be a way to go to recoup some of your loses.

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 04:05:00 PM »
Ergo, this is why I was looking for a set of latches, so I can build my own handle with phenolic caps( where the sockets attach) and probably drill,tap and install some brass threaded bushings and screw the socket/latch system into the bushings.Perhaps that is something that Bear should consider.

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 05:16:00 PM »
I just heard today from a guy who ordered a kodiak supreme and when he got it it was 5 pounds heavier than stated and the glass had white dots under it. I guess he was not happy and sent it back.
  On bears defense if you were shooting the FF limbs made by Dave I wouldn't warranty it either.
    I have 5 bear takedowns, don't shoot FF and have never had a lick of problems!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 05:31:00 PM »
The problems  started after the move to Gainville Fa.(1978).For what ever reason Bear Archery at that point started rolling down hill fast(out of control).The went cheep on us...and the newer T/D's really reflict that...Sad day....bowdoc

Offline Limbhanger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2008, 07:50:00 PM »
You guys are freaking me out as I just bought a Supreme TD!!!  I am shooting it w/B 50 and it's an outstanding shooter for me.  I'll have to make certain to dry it thoroughly after a rainfall I guess.  Is anybody else having issues?

Offline Trooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2008, 10:56:00 PM »
Limbhanger,
   Don't get freaked out.  Enjoy your bow.  I don't have a Supreme TD only because I can't afford one right now (I have 2 teenage daughters) but I have 6 regular Bear t/d's; an A and B mag handle; two wood B handles made in the '80's and an A and a B handle both made in 2001. I shoot them all and have had no problems with any of the handles. My 2001 B handle with 65# FF limbs and FF string is my most main deer killing bow.  I've hunted in the rain, cold and heat with that bow and have killed many deer with it.  I shoot it at least 4 or 5 days a week launching 15 to 25 arrows each shooting day.  On weekends I may shoot at least 30 to 50 arrows, sometimes more.  
   I did have a problem with one of the limbs.   About 4 years ago a set of 65# limbs, green tip, made in the 80's, developed a split.  I contacted Bear Archery and sent them the limbs.  They sold me a brand new set for 1/2 price.  I thought that was decent.  
   I'm sorry that some of these other guys had bad luck with Bear bows, but for me that's what I shoot. Enjoy your bow!
         Murray
It's not what you kill but how you hunt...

Offline nd chickenman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2008, 11:19:00 PM »
Robhood23, I do agree that I do use the riser to the max. I have shot the Schafer limbs using this riser, not alot, but I used them. I shoot 70+ lbs with a 31 1/2 inch draw. I have concluded that I am better of with different kind of set up. I absolutely love the Kodiak TD, I guess I am going through the greiving process facing the fact that it just isn't for me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©