Author Topic: Ipe bow build  (Read 415 times)

Offline JohnFL03

• Trad Bowhunter
Ipe bow build
« on: May 31, 2015, 12:20:00 PM »
I'm planning on building an Ipe bow shortly but I'm having trouble finding a backing wood. I don't have access to hickory or bamboo. The local shops only have padauk, sepele, teak, jatoba, purple heart, and zebra. Would any of these be suitable or is it going to be a waste of materials using it. The primary purpose is hunting in the southeast and I was aiming for 50-55#@28". Also, what thickness board do I need for each. The Ipe comes in either 3/4" or 5/4". Thanks.

Offline Todd Greenwald

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ipe bow build
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 12:32:00 PM »
Check out Tenbrook Archery, he is a sponsor here. He has a wood kit Ipe & Bamboo for $49. Here is the link:

http://www.tenbrookarchery.com/store/c2/Bow_Building.html
Michigan Longbow Association
USMC 1992-2000

Offline JohnFL03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 12:35:00 PM »
Looks nice and something to keep an eye on. Was trying to avoid a kit but this looks really nice. Maybe too nice lol

Offline mikkekeswick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 02:51:00 PM »
I would definately second buying from somebody who knows how to select straight grained, dense bow suitable wood. A whole lot of ipe isn't really suitable for making bows. As for backing suitable stock...well that's even more critical of straight grain. From posts i've read by Tenbrock he definitely knows what he's talking about  :)  You will save yourself a whole load of potential problems by buying from a reputable supplier.
I've made a few hundred elb's from ipe and know well these potential problems.
All of the woods you have mentioned would be great core woods but not really what you want for backings.

Offline JohnFL03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 03:07:00 PM »
Tenbrook is starting to make more sense the more I think about it. Sounds like I'll avoid a lot of headache as well with it. Thanks

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 03:11:00 PM »
There are kits and there are KITS.  This isn't a U-Finish "kit".  This is a man who knows his woods and bamboo from years of experience, picking out two really nice pieces of material for you.  

You still have to get the Smooth-on, tip materials if you want, glue things up, decide on the design (flatbow or riser handle,etc) layout the design and cut to the dotted lines, then tiller the bow yourself.  

Heck I've built a number of bows over the years, and if I wanted to make this kind, this is exactly what I'd buy.
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline JohnFL03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 03:23:00 PM »
Speaking of tip materials, how would antler do and is it too much of a pain to work with. Pretty much on this kit. Just thinking of how nice it would look as an overlay.

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 10:04:00 PM »
Antler is soft comparably, if you're thinking to use tip overlays so you can use Fast-Flite strings.  Decoratively I think antler looks really nice.

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 10:40:00 PM »
You guys know where you can get Ipe cheap in Canada..? It seems so expensive here and slim pickings.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 07:53:00 AM »
Don't they sell it in lumber yards for decking up there? I think that's where most of us are self sourcing it. Can always try deck contractors, they may have some "scraps".

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 03:06:00 PM »
I'll get back to you on that.  Ipe is $28.00 a Bd.Ft. up here and Osage is about the same...silly because its a weed tree down south.  :eek:  
Hickory and White oak is $8.50 Bd.Ft.    
Having said that I really have no need for Ipe.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 05:54:00 PM »
With that said Dean, if you're not building a bunch of ipe bows it makes sense to source good material from a reputable guy like Tenbrook. Main reason I source my own is that my typical rate is about a bow a month, so it makes all the time and gas money spent finding marrrial work out in the end.

Offline Krasus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 08:53:00 PM »
Wolf trail. Go to Windsor plywood. They have a great selection of woods. They have stores on the island too. Pm me if you want me to grab something special for you since I'm in van and may have a better selection.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 09:13:00 PM »
$28/bdft!!!!!!!! I was complaining about $10/bdft Osage last year down in VA.

FWIW I typically use a slat 1.5" x <.25" x 72 for the belly lam of one bow. One bdft is 2" x 1" x 72" so that's 4 bows worth of belly lams from one bdft of good board. That's $7/bow for Osage ..... Not a bad deal.

I would have thought lumber would be cheap in CA given you have tons of woods and logging.

Offline Rudamchu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 12:02:00 AM »
John, where in Florida are you? Bamboo pretty much grows everywhere here ... all you have to do is check with a local nursery or two and find the one that specializes in bamboo. Or you could drive around and see who's got it growing in their yard and ask for some ... that's what I do. It also seasons pretty quickly here or you could accelerate the seasoning.

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 09:14:00 PM »
The problem is most Florida bamboo is too small of diameter to get even backing strips out of.  I use a source in Orlando for bamboo 'fence' slats that are 2+" wide and 6 ft long and upwards of 1/2" thick.  IIRC they're only a couple bucks each.  But I'm building bamboo self bows in an ancient Chinese flatbow style where the rounded outer surface of the culm is the back, not the belly

Offline Elison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2015, 04:32:00 PM »
My godness!   $28.00 ???      :scared:  

Here in Brazil I can buy an ipe piece with 1" x 2" x  80" for  $3.00

However, hickory, maple and osage doesn't exist here...  =(
Elison J. G. Lusvardi

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2015, 01:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Elison:
My godness!   $28.00 ???       :scared:  

Here in Brazil I can buy an ipe piece with 1" x 2" x  80" for  $3.00

However, hickory, maple and osage doesn't exist here...  =(
Maybe Canada should do more trading with Brazil, maple is great stuff and lasts forever in certain conditions.
I dont know how they arrive at these ridisculous prices especially in Canada when we ship our top grade lumber worl wide and we pay thru the nose for some stuff.
Case in point we have Alder trees here its used mostly for firewood because its so abundant and grows like a weed. Its an ugly tree it has these pods that clog up the roof gutters also.
Its about $5-6 per Bd.Ft. for this crud basically same as Old growth fir. It does have other uses like mouldings and cabinet work but... its soft like cedar.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©