Author Topic: BAD limb twist... how do i fix it? is it fixable?  (Read 1660 times)

Offline BFreed59

• Trad Bowhunter
BAD limb twist... how do i fix it? is it fixable?
« on: June 24, 2015, 10:28:00 PM »
So I have been working on a Bingham bow, and I have developed a severe limb twist, and not sure how to fix it. I have searched on here and found the picture showing to deepen the nock on one side and to remove wood to mid limb on the other side.

Am I right in thinking that for this picture I would need to remove the wood from the right hand side of the limb??? Which is what I have tried but the twist seems to get worse when I do that and am getting to nervous about doing anything else.

So my question is what can/should I do to fix this limb twist? Or is it even fixable?

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: BAD limb twist... how do i fix it? is it fixable?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 11:30:00 PM »
I dont have much experience in the glass stuff but twists are a dam nuisance for sure. I hate 'em.   :(

Offline MikeWinVA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 12:01:00 AM »
Assuming this is glass in an epoxy resin:

You could try running the limb under very hot water in the kitchen sink and twisting it back.  You will probably have to over compensate because of spring back. Once it is twisted back into shape and still hot, run cold water over it to set it.  Most epoxies will start to soften around 125°F.  Soften it, bend it, set it.

Make sure the bow is not strung when doing this.  That is why bow makers will not warranty a bow if the damage is caused by leaving it in a hot car.  Also epoxy can sometimes cold creep, that's why you shouldn't leave an unstrung bow resting on its tip in a closet like it is a broom.

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 12:49:00 AM »
Hily Cow that's some twist!   Is this your first?  Reason I ask is that with takedowns especially, it's really easy to get the pin and bolt holes just a tiny bit off causing the limb to be way out of alignment which will cause the problem you have right there.  Have you checked to make sure that everything is in perfect alignment?
Joe

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

One of two things will happen; it'll either work or it won't.

Offline BFreed59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 01:02:00 AM »
Yeah this is my first build, I thought the alignment was good but it may be off some. I was wondering if the lams got warped before glue up if that could be contributing to it. I put everything in the oven then let them cool back to room temperature and the parallel was pretty warped.

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 03:39:00 AM »
That's some twist allright, is your bow form correct, with the surface you lay the lams on at 90 degrees with the sides?
Looks far gone to me and perhaps for safety reasons it should not be used. Most annoying when things go wrong.Bue--.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 06:11:00 AM »
That is most likely an alignment issue. The methods that utilize heat, groove deepening, and removal of edge material may not be enough to correct a misalignment due to misplacement of alignment pins and/or threaded inserts.

Did you try to switch the limbs, bottom to the top position, top to bottom? Doing so may improve the alignment or help deduce whether it's a hardware alignment issue or a problem within a single limb.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 07:38:00 AM »
How does it look unstrung if you run a tight string or use a laser beam from tip to tip?

Offline BFreed59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 09:43:00 AM »
Here is a look at it unstrung with a string on it just enough to keep the string straight. The limb with the twist is the one closest in the picture.

And one from the string side. In this picture the problem limb is the farther one.

I will check my form to make sure it is square, but if the form was not square shouldn't both limbs be twisted? Instead of just one?

I will also try to flip the limbs around and see if that does anything.

And I was kinda thinking along the same lines of not being very confident with shooting it even if I am able to fix it

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 10:00:00 AM »
Sure looks like a limb alignment problem in those pictures.

Offline BFreed59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 10:01:00 AM »
Is there anyway to fix an alignment issue, or would it be best to just start over

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 12:38:00 PM »
Try using a different string, like a Flemish twist string. Then work from there. The limb pads need to be Square with the limbs too. You might be able to glue a hard wood dowel into the holes and redrill if needed?

Offline BFreed59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 02:35:00 PM »
Robert- what effect does a Flemish twist string have for fixing a twist? I'm still new to this and don't see how that would help, but I'm sure there is a reason. I will make one up tonight and see of if helps any before moving on to other methods.

Thanks for all the help so far, any other input would be greatly appreciated

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 05:40:00 PM »
I'm not sure what I am seeing..is that a paracord string you are using? the large diameter and large twists near the loops concern me.  For tillering in my shop I like to use a nice  fast flite flemish twist string with evenly made loops. One of my friends makes nice strings for me when he has time. there are several vendors on tradgang that also make quality strings.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 05:52:00 PM »
how wide are your tips at the string groove? how taper did you use in limbs?  I usually taper the limb edges starting 3 inches past the end of the fades to 5/8" wide at the string grooves.. you may have plenty room to adjust limb center if the limbs are still wide at the string grooves..I use thin 120# spiderwire type of fishing line to check limb centers

Offline BFreed59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 06:06:00 PM »
In the pictures other than the first one it is paracord just show how things line up there is no tension on it and i'm not using it for anything other than those pictures. The kit from Binghams came with two continuous loop strings both 16 strands of B-50. One of which is shown in the first picture on the bow when it is strung.

And the limb tips are 7/8" at the string grooves

Offline heartlandbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 10:56:00 PM »
Looks to me like the riser was the start of your issues although it could just be the pictures. The pads don't look like they are at 90 degrees. In the one pic the closest limb si sitting flat on your railing but the riser looks twisted, if it is that would tell me the pads aren't square.

Did you cut and sand the pads while you had a square riser block?

You might be able to save it but it's gonna take some work and some luck, might as well get another one started if you have an addictive personality!   :thumbsup:

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 11:17:00 PM »
Sorry friend, but it sure looks like either limb pads or alignment issue.  My first takedown was like that.  I ended up saving it by filling the alignment pin holes in the limb and re-drilling them.  But you'll have to make sure those limb pads on the riser are absolutely, perfectly square first.  Maybe save the limbs and make up a new riser, just to be sure it's not exclusively the pads?
Joe

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

One of two things will happen; it'll either work or it won't.

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2015, 11:37:00 PM »
Looks like limb pads are not at 90 degrees.  Easiest fix, make a new riser.  You can cut you fittings out of old riser.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline MikeWinVA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2015, 12:36:00 AM »
Like someone said earlier, switch the limbs top to bottom and brace it again.

If the problem moves it is the limbs.  If it is the same the problem is in the riser.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©